Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 11-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Finbreaker
Thanks, but no tanks!

Fiji?

Anyone out there have any reports on Fiji? I'm interested in diving out there but want to be able to eat fish I spear, especially dogtooth tuna. I have heard that ciguatera is a problem in Fijian waters. Looking specifically at going to Taveuni.
Finbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Coral Sniper
Spearing in the Cape

Re: Fiji?

Taveuni is such a beautiful island, you need to do the waterfall hike and see the crater when your there.

Anyways, cig is a issue in Fiji, but not that bad. I have never heard of a doggy being affected. Cudas and red bass can be affected at times. The locals will help you out on what's good and not good trust me.

I think you should do well there, the locals don't have the gear to land the big fish. Dive points in the reef and areas that meet the currant first.

Good luck

Ben Carlson
Coral Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Fiji is AMAZING, and Taveuni was my favorite. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to spear while I was there...but it is on my list of places to get back to and try! The diving is fantastic. Where are you planning to stay? I'll throw my vote in for Paradise, Taveuni. The owners (Teri and Allen) are AMAZING! They were in the process of redoing it when I was there, and I know that they have turned it into a fancier place, but I am sure it is well worth it (although I am not sure if they would be open to spearfishing since they do cater to the scuba diving crowd...although to do offer fishing charters so perhaps they'd do a spearing trip too). At least worth inquiring...I'd go back in a heartbeat! http://www.paradiseinfiji.com/

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.(__.(__.(___.(__.(__.(___.( __.(__.(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Fiji is sick diving brah! The water, reef structures, and access are amazing. Depending on where you stay, the reefs can be fished out due to the local villages living off reef fish. We stay Naviti Island (Yasawa Island Group), Kese Village, and I was amazed at the way the local Fijian boys hammer small kine reef species with Fijian Slings...old metal shafts with a single piece of rubber with a finger loop at the end. In Kese village they did a lot of their hunting at night. I gifted to the village a smaller reef gun, and an old school Hawaiian sling. One of the village elders loved the sling and poked some nice fish! If you are staying in a local village and not a resort I would recommend doing something along those lines beside the customary yangona/grog (kava) you present to the elders for allowing you to stay/ dive their waters. Gear and hardware are pretty expensive there and they appreciate those kind of gifts. My boys and I saw several giant uhu but they were way elusive. There are so many islands and thousands of square miles of ocean to dive that you can usually find a boat and driver. We went ferral (village w/no roads, elect power) and loved it. Gained some serious Fijian Brothers from living in the village and diving with the Fijian watermen like that. I could never do the resort "all inclusive, picked off the shelf " dive vacation. We hit blue water one day and as was stated you will need to bring your own blue water terminal gear. We ate every species of fish we and the village guys shot, never a problem with cig. Nevah hit kaku (cuda) though. The village elder even fed us a blow fish he hit with the sling and I nevah ate a fish that tasty! He simmered in coconut milk
all day. Our experience is only of one small village, on one small remote island, and may be very different from the experience you will have where you stay. Enjoy the nightly grog sessions and the more formal Yangona/Kava ceremonies. Had some of my longest and deepest dives in Fiji I think due to the continuous grog sessions every night and resultant low heart rate!
In local Yasawan dialect I say to you "Cola Vina!" (Bula Vinaka)

E MALAMA I KE KAI
makoa352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Finbreaker
Thanks, but no tanks!

Hey thanks bruddahs for the advice. I am super stoked to be heading out there. Wanted to go while I lived in Guam but never got a chance. My new philosophy is to target the mid sized fish and leave the giant dogs for breeding stock. Less chance of cig that way and I still get fed.... Ono! I will post a full report when I get back but thanks again to all who posted tips and advice... Mahalo to my Big Island bruddahs from a Honokaa boy!
Finbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Right on! Hope to hear all about it! We'll pound down some malasadas at Tex's Drive In while you stay diving Fiji! Aloha!

E MALAMA I KE KAI
makoa352 is offline   Reply With Quote