Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
codfishhead

Is it worth Lobster Diving in CT

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/fishin...1_editable.pdf

I'm looking into what it takes to legally harvest lobsters from CT and is it worth doing. I was up to 9 calls and transfers from my wonderful CT DEP before finally getting someone to tell me all I need is a personal Lobster Lic for 120.00. I'm reading the regs and it states I can fish CT waters and areas 1-3 which is the outside of Long Island. Then it states Long Island sound in CT waters only. Does this mean I canít harvest lobsters in the Sound on the Long Island side such as Port Jeff?

Also from doing some searches I'm reading night time is best for bugs. Can you harvest bugs in CT at night. Regs state you can only tend POTS from sun up till sun down. didnít read anything about divers/scuba harvesting at night. Not to mention I have no idea how I feel about darkness diving. Did it once in Mexico but I was 20 and drunk. All I remember is them telling me if you get confused look at which way your bubbles are going and follow them up. O to be young and stupid again.

Is it worth getting his permit in CT? How hard is it to harvest enough bugs to make the permit and time worth it? Can you scoop up 3-4 a trip to make my wife forget I'm late coming home from the water?

By the way, new RA gun has been in my hands since Friday and shockingly even after a drinking weekend in the Cape I have yet to shoot it. It's KILLING ME!!!!

Thank you

Jay
codfishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Crusty Old Dive

Re: Is it worth Lobster Diving in CT

No. Not worth it. $120??? Use to be $50. Use to be a lot more bugs too. Shoprite baby.

Visit my website at http://newenglandfishprints.com/ to see our collection of Gyotaku Fish Prints.
Crusty Old Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
codfishhead

Thx COD.

DAM! not what I was wanting to hear.
codfishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
CTFreeDiver

It was not worth it when it was $50/year.

Another: NO!
CTFreeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Muzzy
Fish Killin' Swamp Yankee

Send a message via MSN to Muzzy

No!
Muzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
weekendrx

I had one in 2010. $120.00 for the 10 keeper bugs I got that year. Oh and it took six months of diving several times a week to get those. Take the $120.00, go to the guys on the boats in Point Judith when they come in and buy 20 bugs for that much. Damn good exercise but beyond that its a waste.
Kurt
weekendrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Rhodyhunter
My Life for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendrx View Post
I had one in 2010. $120.00 for the 10 keeper bugs I got that year. Oh and it took six months of diving several times a week to get those. Take the $120.00, go to the guys on the boats in Point Judith when they come in and buy 20 bugs for that much. Damn good exercise but beyond that its a waste.
Kurt
You are correct. Ask the boats for "shack lobsters" they'll get you what you need, and cheaper than the markets. Only 10 in a year? Did you dive at night? I always targeted rock piles or deep water rocky shores. It must have changed since I've been home.

Pain is Weakness leaving the Body.
Rhodyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
czision71

I'd say it depends. I had a license for a few years before they jumped the price up to $160 and it was good to have on hand. I was a scuba nut back then and it provided good motivation to get into the water. But then, most night's I'd only come home with one or two lobsters after over an hour of diving.

I thought it was a pain to cook up just a single lobster that was just over legal size.

You will never make your money back by diving from lobster, you might if you are willing to manage the 6 pots that it also allows you to have.

On the plus side, you get pretty sick license plate to use whenever you buy a used car and need to get it from the persons house to yours before you can register it.
czision71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
njdiver

Personal Use (not for sale) Marine Licenses

A Personal Use Lobster License is required for taking lobsters by the use of up to 10 pots or SCUBA diving, for personal use (not for sale). Reports required. Fee $120.00

Lobster Reporting Form (Fillable-PDF)

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a...1630#MarineLic
Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
prop

since they started spraying for the west nile virus here in ny there are few lobsters left.the spray washes into the sound and kills the bugs.lobsters are bugs.your tax dollars at work.
prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
SpanishSpear
Euro Trash Scup Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendrx View Post
Kurt
x2!!!!!