Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
stick'em239
Registered User
 
stick'em239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: virginia beach VA
Posts: 21
heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

heading down to a house in nags head for the weekend of july 27-29 and bringing our boat and me and my bro who are into spear fishing big time . we are from va beach and just wanting to know of some spots to dive and shoot fish while we are down there , free dive
__________________
always the first in the water
stick'em239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
bk393
Designated Diver
 
bk393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Iron Station, NC
Age: 43
Posts: 546
Send a message via Yahoo to bk393
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

pm sent
bk393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Ncstick1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hertford,NC
Posts: 21
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

There is a wreck between first and second streets in nags head about 200 yds off the beach. 12-15 of water, the top is only about 6ft down just need to check clarity. probably best on west wind. You can also go to OBX dive center or TW's Bait & Tackle and ask those guys they are pretty knowledgeable about other sites. Stay away from the piers.
Ncstick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
jebsurf
Registered User
 
jebsurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncstick1 View Post
There is a wreck between first and second streets in nags head about 200 yds off the beach. 12-15 of water, the top is only about 6ft down just need to check clarity. probably best on west wind. You can also go to OBX dive center or TW's Bait & Tackle and ask those guys they are pretty knowledgeable about other sites. Stay away from the piers.
YOu sure about diving that on a west wind..?... The west wind usually causes a bad upwelling. Best time to dive beach stuff like that is when its been blowing out of the east VERY light for a few days as it will push in some better water usually. Also its best to dive it IMO on slack high tide. That's when I hit all my beach stuff.
__________________
1979 25' CC Mako(sold)
2008 24' Sea Hunt triton(worst boat ever/sold)
2003 26 Regulator (current)
2000 excursion 7.3 diesel 4x4(current/tow truck)

If you ain't first your last!
jebsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Ncstick1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hertford,NC
Posts: 21
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsurf View Post
YOu sure about diving that on a west wind..?... The west wind usually causes a bad upwelling. Best time to dive beach stuff like that is when its been blowing out of the east VERY light for a few days as it will push in some better water usually. Also its best to dive it IMO on slack high tide. That's when I hit all my beach stuff.
Didn't think about the upwelling. i'm more used to being on the northern beaches (Carova). West wind is always the clearest and waves fallout flat.
Ncstick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
jebsurf
Registered User
 
jebsurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncstick1 View Post
Didn't think about the upwelling. i'm more used to being on the northern beaches (Carova). West wind is always the clearest and waves fallout flat.
What do you know about carova beach......?.. I see you at least know how to spell is right. I was born and raised on carova for 28 years. My best friend still lives over there now. I come around every now and again(I live in VB now). I own "Carova beach crabs and seafood" as a matter of fact(even tho I'm not open this year). I know of some REAL hot spots over there to dive off of. Dont mean to come off cocky but I could school you a little something about that beach. And yes there is some wrecks over there. Do enough Haul Seine over there and you figure out where they are when you wrap up 500 yards of net up in them.
__________________
1979 25' CC Mako(sold)
2008 24' Sea Hunt triton(worst boat ever/sold)
2003 26 Regulator (current)
2000 excursion 7.3 diesel 4x4(current/tow truck)

If you ain't first your last!

Last edited by jebsurf; 07-14-2012 at 08:04 PM.
jebsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Ncstick1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hertford,NC
Posts: 21
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsurf View Post
What do you know about carova beach......?.. I see you at least know how to spell is right. I was born and raised on carova for 28 years. My best friend still lives over there now. I come around every now and again(I live in VB now). I own "Carova beach crabs and seafood" as a matter of fact(even tho I'm not open this year). I know of some REAL hot spots over there to dive off of. Dont mean to come off cocky but I could school you a little something about that beach. And yes there is some wrecks over there. Do enough Haul Seine over there and you figure out where they are when you wrap up 500 yards of net up in them.
Jebsurf, sounds like we have a lot in common. (except the cocky part)Glad to see someone else from over that way. I also grew up on Carova. My dad bought his first house in 1970 over there, we Haul Seinned for years over there, till there got to be too many people. Pain trying to haul a mile long net with people everywhere. I haven't been able to get over there much in the last couple of years but ran all over that beach for the better part of 35 years. I still have relatives that live there I go hang out with once in a while. Always wanted to dive the Marble wreck just over the Va line. My uncle saved everyone off that boat, when he ran the Wash Woods CG Station.
Ncstick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
jebsurf
Registered User
 
jebsurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncstick1 View Post
Jebsurf, sounds like we have a lot in common. (except the cocky part)Glad to see someone else from over that way. I also grew up on Carova. My dad bought his first house in 1970 over there, we Haul Seinned for years over there, till there got to be too many people. Pain trying to haul a mile long net with people everywhere. I haven't been able to get over there much in the last couple of years but ran all over that beach for the better part of 35 years. I still have relatives that live there I go hang out with once in a while. Always wanted to dive the Marble wreck just over the Va line. My uncle saved everyone off that boat, when he ran the Wash Woods CG Station.
If you dont like sharks dont go on it. Not just saying that either. I have NEVER been on that one with out seeing a shark. Not joking. Also you need a dory to get to it or run a long way from va beach.
__________________
1979 25' CC Mako(sold)
2008 24' Sea Hunt triton(worst boat ever/sold)
2003 26 Regulator (current)
2000 excursion 7.3 diesel 4x4(current/tow truck)

If you ain't first your last!
jebsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Ncstick1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hertford,NC
Posts: 21
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsurf View Post
If you dont like sharks dont go on it. Not just saying that either. I have NEVER been on that one with out seeing a shark. Not joking. Also you need a dory to get to it or run a long way from va beach.
Preciate that heads up. The dory has long been gone. My relatives used to launch a small v bow from the beach on good days and hook n line fish it. might try that. Thought it would be neat to grab a small piece of marble off it for my dad. I also remember a wreck somewhere on the nc side not too far from the line (maybe a mile or so?). It stayed under the sand most of the time but swam in the ribs of the ship after a n'easter once when I was a kid.
Ncstick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
NavySARSCPO
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 36
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

Skygear, check out Oceanwaves Campground just down the way. It's pretty affordable and just a mile down the road or so.
NavySARSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
kapoc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk,Va
Posts: 64
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

You arent leing about the sharks on the marble wreck......its infested right now!!!!!
__________________
Capt. Mike Beane
Blue Dragon Charters
(757) 321-0693
(757) 373-2338
www.bluedragonfishing.com
kapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
jebsurf
Registered User
 
jebsurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Re: heading to nags head NC july 27-29 to spear fish

I told you I wasn't bullshitting lol. If you don't like sharks don't go on that wreck!
__________________
1979 25' CC Mako(sold)
2008 24' Sea Hunt triton(worst boat ever/sold)
2003 26 Regulator (current)
2000 excursion 7.3 diesel 4x4(current/tow truck)

If you ain't first your last!
jebsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com