Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Bugstud

Riffe metal tech 4????

Hey so I need to get a bigger gun bc I want to hopefully take some wsb in the kelp and yellowtails or dodos in some bluewater this year...was looking at a riffe metal tech four...has anyone ever used one?how was it? Does it float when unshalfted? Is this a good gun for what I'm looking todo? Also if anyone has a used gun like this at a good used price please pm me..i have two you kids no not a whole lot of disposable income.....AND (sorry to drag this on) I've been diving alone a lot looking for some new dive buddy's for OC area.....thanks guys
Bugstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
AndSan714

Re: Riffe metal tech 4????

Can't help you out on the riffe advice, but pm me your number, I'm down to head out whenever.
AndSan714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

I used a metal tech for about a year or so. It was a great gun, with a few exceptions. It is negatively buoyant, even with the shaft out. Mind you, this was with the enclosed track, the wing kit, and the aluminum muzzle. Eventually, I put a shorter shaft on it, which helped a bit. Also, I added a fourth band, which made it almost neutrally buoyant with the shaft out.

The gun shot like a laser, but kicked like a mule with the fourth band. I wouldn't recommend it for freediving, since it's negatively buoyant. I did quite well with it, nailing some long shots on small yellows though I have a friend who will be selling the same gun as I had soon, so if you're interested, let me know.

ISDC/MUF Divers
32Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
mikelb

Negative buoyancy is the issue for freediving.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
MACKFISH

i love my mt3.i took 54 lb wsb and all those yellows u see in my avatar.The mt4 is a better blue water gun than the mt3 it has more punch.i use 3 bands 5/8.My gun is pretty old and i have never had any problems with it.riffe stuff is expensive but well worth the money in my opinion.It is negative boyant,but has very little recoil.I stuffed foam in my handle and that helped.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
bluesquids
bluesquids

Was a buddies wsb gun. He had some teak sidestocks on the rear half. Not sure how they were attached.
============
Where is my mind?
Waay out in the water, see it swimmin'.
- The Pixies
bluesquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Bugstud

Great thanks guys...would having those side stocks help with the boyency? I'm guessing having a neg buoyant gun would be way more difficult
Bugstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
campione

I have used the Riffe Metal Tech 5 with a lot of success. It has the front muzzle stabilizer kit, and enclosed track. It floats without the shaft. It is very accurate and recoil has not been an issue even with 4 bands. I've speared and landed a few bluefins with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
apexdiver
Tony

Do the newer models float with the poly wings?
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
davej

I have the m4 used it for a couple of seasons when I got more serious about spearfishing. As mentioned above its a laser when it comes to shooting. Bomb proof too so it takes a beating no prob. I cut my shaft down and eventually went down to a 9/32 shaft too. The big draw back as mentioned above is its negative and gets heavy after a while. For that reason its also a pain to deal with when recovering a fish as you cant leave it floating. I now use mine for scuba or as a loaner. If I was buying a gun for wsb/ y this would not be my gun of choice. Get the #N No Ka Oi if you have to have riffe or some other wood 55"
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
kperlin
I Dive because I Can!

I had the 3, used it for scuba... imo it was kinda big like awkward to use. Even on scuba I did not like the negative. I sold it cheap for like $300 w new bands.

Hit me up, I am in the OC with a boat

And I have kids (3) so I feel the sqeeeze...
kperlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Diablo Loco

The Metal Tech's were originally designed for scuba divers. Hence, the reason negative weight was not a consideration. My MT 3 shot like a laser, but due to the weight, it was a pain after a short time to hold out, even with two front stablizers. Had a hard recoil. And that was on scuba. Can't imagine the same difficulty when freediving.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Vice-President

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Malibuslayer

It works well. You can beat the daylights out of it and it kills fish. It doesn't float, but I like the fact that with a float line I can drop it to mark a hole and it doesn't move around at all. Here are two tough fishies I killed with mine, no upgrades. This gun is a true workhorse.

Malibuslayer is offline   Reply With Quote