Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
DaBigCahone

Diving mavericks?

Ive been on walks out on the beach by mavericks. When the tide is low, you can see the rocks and kelp by the beach. I was wondering if any body knew if the rocks continued away from the shore. I would think there would be good fishing out there on a calm day. If anybody has had any expierence out there, could you share your story?
DaBigCahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
riff
><>

Re: Diving mavericks?

huh?
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
CaptainLeo

When I worked out of HMB we used to fish quite a bit of that area. I've never seen it from the beach, but I would think as long as the entry/exit are is fine, you should be ok. The main problem up there, besides sharks, is the visibility is usually crap. It's been about 14 years since I worked up there so I'm going off of a fuzzy memory of the area. There are a few others that live up that way that will have more insight on the place. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
arice

Those rocks are just crawling with big fish, lobster, mermaids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigCahone View Post
Ive been on walks out on the beach by mavericks. When the tide is low, you can see the rocks and kelp by the beach. I was wondering if any body knew if the rocks continued away from the shore. I would think there would be good fishing out there on a calm day. If anybody has had any expierence out there, could you share your story?
arice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
dennishaussler

Quote:
Dove it many times,,,,, a bunch on scuba before I switched to free only, but several times on breath hold.
Its a fish dream land! HUGE cracks, holes, boulders, drops from 20 to 60ft, ledges, its all there.
Problem is, vis is usually shit, usually decent current, and it is very sharky.
That said, I dove that coast from Pidgeon pt, which is shark land, all the way to pacifica for years, and never had any problems or sitings.
We had days there when the ling limits were 4 fish, that the big fish would swim in to see what all the ruckus was about from you spearing their partner, then you'd whack them! Biggest I knew of coming out of there was 48lbs, and that was a good friend of mine so no BS. It now falls under MLPA I believe, so its closed for fish. Theres also some great diving south of the entrance to the harbor, southeast reef. Same thing there, poor vis, current, rough water, big toothy ****ers, but when its going off its unreal.

120 ft
Cause its a long way up,,,,,,,,
dennishaussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
agarcia

Yup, double check the Montara smr and hmb smca boundaries, neither allow spearing and there's dfg and volunteers that monitor it. It's not all off limits though, if you wanna walk the line there is some open territory in the area.
agarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
DaBigCahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
huh?
I have a way with words
DaBigCahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

I have seen the water crystal clear there where you could see the starfish on the bottom from the boat. Hit me up this summer if you want to hit some local spots
Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
themike
King of the Perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice View Post
Those rocks are just crawling with big fish, lobster, mermaids...
Lol - i was gonna post a similar pic... isn't that where Flea won $50k for surfing a 50 ft wave?

I'm in the ocean looking to spear a trout or maybe a salmon migrating upriver...line up a shot...BOOM- Sea Grizzly goes for it at the same time and I skewer him right through the head."
themike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

The same bathymetric features that make for great big wave breaks can also make them great for spearing when it's flat. Cortes Bank is another great example

Quote:
Originally Posted by themike View Post
Lol - i was gonna post a similar pic... isn't that where Flea won $50k for surfing a 50 ft wave?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
riff
><>

Quote:
I have a way with words
I wasnt' sure if this was a troll post or not. I'd go by the old WYSIWYG rule.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
arice

Interesting link by a San Mateo County scuba shop about diving in that area. http://scubasanmateo.com/info.html

Speaking from my own fairly extensive experience surfing up and down the coast from SF to Santa Cruz, I've never seen it particularly clear, even on small days. I'm sure if you catch it flat and clear it'd be spectacular, since hardly anyone ever dives it.
arice is offline   Reply With Quote