Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
Labugman
Labugman

Tribute to Legendary Bug Hunter... Lee Streit

Lobster Hunters close to the secrets of our sport should know about and remember the Legendary Bug Hunter Lee Streit. He passed away quietly in the company of his family a couple of years ago but the story of his passing wasn't completed until last weekend. That's when his ashes and those of his wife, Sherry, were spread over his favorite deep lobster reef at Catalina at 120 ft. by his loving son, Shel, a Bug Hunting legend himself. I've had the privilege of knowing, learning and diving with both of them. Lee's presence on the Wild Wave, The Peace, The Truth, The Mr. C (where he worked) and several other boats is now noticeably absent. He was tall with a full head of white hair, handsome, Loud and lovable. The lobster in the picture was over 15 lbs! When he had a good day bug diving you heard about it all the way home.... whether you wanted to hear it or not. It was not just "fitting"....It was his "Destiny" to find his final resting place on a deep Catalina Lobster Reef.... Labugman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVMG...ature=youtu.be
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img001.pdf (351.4 KB, 512 views)
File Type: pdf img003.pdf (372.7 KB, 386 views)
File Type: pdf img002.pdf (340.7 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by Labugman; 12-23-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Labugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Re: Tribute to Legendary Bug Hunter... Lee Streit

RIP, I hope I one day can have the talent to score a bug like that
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
dctrjayyy

Rip Lee. I remember him on one of my first ever dives in the Peace out at Santa Rosa probably 18 years ago
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
riff
><>

Sad.

Labugman - Uploading PDF's is risky for us to download. They could have a trojan that you wouldn't even know about. i recommend using imgur.com or a similar site.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Kadman

Lee was a enthusiastic diver who shared his stories and hunting techniques with members of our diving tribe. I met him on a PEACE Open Boat one fine Wednesday in February 2003. We dove Talcott and other areas along Santa Rosa. He told me he had caught 65 lobsters over 10 lbs in his life and a 15 pounder which might be the one in LABugman's post. Lee said his 15 pounder came in shallow water as the visibility was relatively good in 10ft but like mud any deeper. It was a coastal bug caught in LA county.

You might wonder why a diver like me would remember a conversation on a dive boat over 10 years ago. Well, Lee made an impression and gave me some good advice. I wrote his words of wisdom down and upon seeing today's post went back and had a look at the days events on Feb 5th 2003.

I remember Shel having a good dive as the crew took him in close to the island via the inflatable. I believe he came back with a nice trophy.

Merry Christmas and All the best for 2015.

Cheers, Kadman
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
matt mattison
Diving ! Gota love it !!!

RIP Lee, You will always be in your dive buddies thoughts and hearts.

matt mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #7
Labugman
Labugman

Re: Tribute to Legendary Bug Hunter... Lee Streit...Note from Joe C.

Lee Streit........ Old Gray Buzzard, world's oldest deckhand and a legend in his own mind........

What compliments can you say about Lee that he didn't say at least three times about himself?? Those trips to Nic and other spots will forever be some of the most memorable times I will ever have. I've had some great dives chasing bugs with everyone and Lee was there from the beginning.... Always in a great mood, and cheering on his rivals for the jackpot money. Being on a trip with Lee and his dive family always made me a better hunter. Dive trips were not the same if you didn't walk into the galley the night before departure and see Lee with his glasses on and reading a book.

I will continue to miss Lee and Sherry who were always gracious hosts when I visited their home...

Sheldon, I am sorry for your loss, but I know they will be with you always....

---JOE---
Labugman is offline   Reply With Quote