Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Dave Ness

Question What's the best way to freeze lobster?

Lobster season (spiney) is right around the corner here in California, and I still haven't found a good way to keep lobster frozen. What are some of the methods you guys use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-4-05 003.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	21341  
Old 09-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

Re: What's the best way to freeze lobster?

put the tail in a ziploc freeser baggie, cover it with water, add a few drops of lemon juice, "take out" air while closing bag, freeze. It will last and be fresh for a very long time. That is how we do it, And have had no problems, and no "fishy" smell.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

I have also heard that freezing them in coffee cans full of water works well to prevent freezer burn. I have never tried it though.
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
fizisition
Official Spearboard Sponsor

Use salt water when you freeze them.

My favorite way is to cut gallon water or milk jugs an inch or so below the handle. Fill with salted water then drop a couple tails in and drain 1in of water off to expose a lip. This lip is where you will date the tails and also serves as a retainer when stacking. I have used this method for years and it saves alot of freezer room allowing you to stack the jugs and also view the date without having to sort through or pull anything out, you also have less chance of leakage.
fizisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Old Bateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizisition
Use salt water when you freeze them.
I used to do this, but was told , since salt water requires much lower temps to freeze, fresh water was better. Nailman taught me to use disposable Ziploc plastic containers. That way the spines won't punch through like the bags do. They are a little more expensive, but are reusable. And considering the last 6 I brought home, cost me $30 each to catch, it not that much more!

http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/#
Old Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bateman
disposable Ziploc plastic containers. :

What he said. I like the Publix containers, and I put 2-4 tails in each. I use cold water from the fridge so they will set quickly. Reusable to boot.

If I'm using the tails within 48 hrs, I leave them on ice (not in slush), and they seem to taste even better than "wrung onto the grill", so to speak.

hth

Big T
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
Dave Ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugged
put the tail in a ziploc freeser baggie, cover it with water, add a few drops of lemon juice, "take out" air while closing bag, freeze. It will last and be fresh for a very long time. That is how we do it, And have had no problems, and no "fishy" smell.

Do you remove the shell or leave it on?

thanks for the info guys
Old 09-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

Leave it on
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
BwanaR
Richard Daniel

I like to get those meat foam board that you buy steaks on at the grocery store to put the tails on so they won't poke through the bags, then I vaccume seal them. Works great, light and doesn't take up much space.
BwanaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaR
I like to get those meat foam board that you buy steaks on at the grocery store to put the tails on so they won't poke through the bags, then I vaccume seal them. Works great, light and doesn't take up much space.

That is a good idea, but really dont have much of a problem with out that though. Yes leave the shell on, helps protect the meat. Salt water soak them if you like but not necc. I have frozen alot of bug this way never had one go bad or even have a little smell. The few drops of key lime or regular lime or lemon juice are important. When thawed out they will smell fresher than when you packed them.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #11
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dness33
Do you remove the shell or leave it on?
Like the others said, leave it on to freeze it. But I do cut mine before freezing. I do a single center cut on the bottom of the tail and then 2 cuts on either side of the top of the tail. When it comes time to grill them, I peel that center tab section that I cut then toss them on the flames. Helps the meat pop out of the top for a nice look on the dinner plate.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
OceanEd

The best method we have found is to first soak the tail briefly in a solution of fresh water and about 20% white vinegar. This will prevent the lobster meat from blackening in spots over time. We do this whether we are going to keep the meat in the shell or take it out.

These days we always take the meat out of the shell. There are ways that you can take the whole piece of meat out of the shell without cutting through the shell. Once we have the whole tail out of the shell, we then use a Seal A Meal machine and vaccuum seal the meat. By doing it this way we save room in the freezer because it compresses the meat and it stacks well with little wasted space (important if we are on our boat where our freezer is only 2 1/2 cu. ft.. We have found that even 6 months later the meat tastes as if it was fresh.
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #13
inletsurf

If the bug is bigger than 10 lbs, I remove meat from the shell and vacuum bag it.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:19 PM   #14
PainKilla

Quote:
If the bug is bigger than 10 lbs, I remove meat from the shell and vacuum bag it
If the bug is bigger than 10 lbs, I have a heart attack and die happy!

Who, exactly, lit the big bang???
PainKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #15
Spearette

Send a message via AIM to Spearette

I've tried most of the methods suggested above, and found, that for the money, it's REALLY worthwhile investing in a high quality vacuum sealing unit. (I got a new one at a garage sale for $25) I used to put all my lobster and fish in baggies, add water, and freeze to prevent freezer burn. I ended up with a huge mess of ice filled bags in the freezer.

I've been using a vacuum sealer for over two years, and it's awesome. For fish - you need to pat the filets somewhat dry before sealing. I've eaten fish and lobster I sealed and froze a year ago, and they tasted terrific with no burn. For lobster:

1. Clean lobster as normal, leaving meat in the shell
2. Curl the tail up into a ball
3 Take a paper towel and fold it in half, and in half again, until you have a long strip a couple of inches wide; for really big tails, use 2 paper towels still connected, you want to make sure the strip is wide enough to cover the spines
4. Wrap the strip around the curled up tail, covering all the spines
5. Stick in the freezer bag with the paper towel still wrapped around it
6. Stick a few more in the same bag if you want - I normally stick about 3 in each bag
7. Suck the air out, and seal (I seal the bag 2 x's, about 1/2" from each other)
8. Thaw as normal, discarding the paper towel after defrosting

I've frozen all sizes of tail in this manner, from those nicely legal, to a couple of 10 lbs's plus.The key here is to ante up and buy a good name brand unit. Cheap knock offs are not worth the money.

Last edited by Spearette; 09-06-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Spearette is offline   Reply With Quote