Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-22-2002, 11:39 AM   #1
Capt. Jay

Legal size for Red grouper?????????

On saturday I was spearfishing out of clearwater and ended up with a few 21 inch red grouper.. I called my friend on the radio and told him about them.. several other boaters came back on the radio and said that they changed the size in the gulf on red grouper to 22 inch, same as gag.. I have not heard anything about it yet, nor have I seen anything on t.v. or in the news paper about it.. Does anyone know if the law has changed on red grouper for the Gulf of mexico?????? Thanks.. Until I find out for sure I will keep 21 inchers and up... Capt. Jay

Capt. Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:46 AM   #2
f94gator

I heard the size was changing to 22 inches in January.
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:47 AM   #3
Grande

I am almost positive its still 20". If they changed it we would hear about it on the FS website.
Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

I think it is 22"....that's all we been shooting

Voice your opinion...join FRA!!

Divin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:59 AM   #5
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

http://www.floridasportsman.com/regs.html

It states here that 20" is still the minimum for red grouper.
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:03 PM   #6
Steel Shootin'

I'll look this up, but I could have sworn that it was amended to 22", but not effective until 1/1/03.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:06 AM   #7
Capt. Jay

Here is what I just found out about red grouper today.. I found it on a the southern derby open spearfishing contest rules and regulations.. Looks like the red grouper 22 inch law has NOT been ruled yet.. here is what it said...
Posted July 16, 2002 - At the July 8-12 meeting in Sarasota, Florida, the Gulf Council voted to make the following regulatory changes in order to implement a rebuilding plan for the overfished red grouper stock in the Gulf of Mexico:

Raise the red grouper minimum size limit from 20 to 22 inches total length for both recreational and commercial fishermen;
Within the recreational 5-grouper bag limit, no more than 2 can be red grouper;
Move the commercial longline/buoy gear boundary east of Cape San Blas, Florida from the 20-fathom depth contour to 50 fathoms (the boundary is already at 50 fathoms west of Cape San Blas);
Repeal the commercial February 15 to March 15 closed season on gag, black and red grouper;
Reduce the commercial quota for shallow-water grouper (all groupers except deep-water grouper) from 9.35 million pounds gutted weight to 7.08 million pounds gutted weight;
Reduce the commercial quota for deep-water grouper (misty, snowy, yellowedge, warsaw, and speckled hind. Also, includes scamp after the shallow-water grouper quota is filled.) from 1.35 million pounds gutted weight to 1.02 million pounds gutted weight;
Set a commercial tilefish quota of 0.44 million pounds.
A Secretarial Amendment containing the proposed regulations will be submitted by the Council to NMFS, which must then go through its own review and public comment period before deciding whether to approve and implement them. The NMFS review process is expected to take 6 to 12 months.

The Key here is the last statement.. I read it to say that it will take 6 to 12 months to be reviewed,.. Which If I am reading it right is not in affect yet... any comments are welcome.. thanks.. Capt. Jay

Capt. Jay is offline   Reply With Quote