Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
El Cid
Frozen member

Can you eat stingray?

It seems that there've been lots of questions recently about what you can/can't spear or can/can't eat. I have my own after hearing lots of stories about this: Can you eat stingray? I've heard they taste like scallops, they taste like leather, they taste like sh*t (you know what sh*t tastes like? NO) the whole nine yards. So, if I spy a little southern ray in the sand, is it fair game and does it have any culinary value?

Last edited by ElCidm07; 04-20-2006 at 05:58 PM.
El Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Can you eat stingray?

Yep, they're good. Treat the meat well like any other good fish. Don't get them too big or too small. Search the site for this topic, you'll find more info on how to clean them.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
smilinmatt
Matt Brueckner

There's a section of the wingmeat that's similar in texture to scallops, but it doesn't taste like it (at least I don't know how to make it taste like scallops). To me, stingray tastes like shark, only without the ammonia smell.
smilinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

Rays are related to sharks. IMO, the yield of meat from a stingray is not worth the effort it takes to fillet it out, so I don't bother with them. They're OK eating, but not great. You do have to shoot a fairly big one in order to get enough meat to bother with.

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Ironhed

alot of times in a restaurant if scallops are all the exact same size they are ray. real scallops are all individuals and run in all sorts of sizes. many restaurants will pass off stingray as scallops especially buffets that serve them.
.and music is emo. (.Emo spearo.) aka Inletsurf
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
TheMackDaddy
The who's who of hoos

yea, its pretty good, only eaten it once in mexico, the guy was telling me that they go on the flats and throw hand spears with lines attatched to them at the rays...sounds kinda fun.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
Christof
Buddies are the best

I've got a friend that also states the "If youve eaten scallops, youve eaten ray" but not sure I buy that..... Why? Cause I have ate guaranteed scallops and the suspect scallops tasted the same... Now, if they soak it in scallop juice or something, then I guess it could be..... How can they advertise on the menu as scallops if it is fish??

Christof

"Any day diving is a damn good day!!"
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Scallops taste nothing like any kind of ray we have here. Stingray does taste like shark, and can get ammonia smell if you dont take care of it,but has stringy tough meat, nothing like a scallop and the grain runs the wrong way. That rumor was from many years ago, like the 1930s, when seafood wasnt even regulated. I have heard people saying that sea scallops were stingray! They dont know much about sea scallops! If it was dont you think they would have wiped them out in short order? I have had stingrays and cownosed rays. Cownosed rays are darker meat than sting rays which are sort of dark, and like someone said, you need a pretty good sized one or its too little. You fillet the top and bottom off a flat cartilage and then fillet off the skin. A lot of work. I used to bow fish for them a couple times, when redfish was legal to spear, but dont like them(rays). If I was starving I could eat it. Steve.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
Mighty KC

I heard that "stingray taste like scallops" line too, so when my son got a big southern ray last year we decided to try it. Hard to clean, meat looks really wierd (kind of like strings) and TASTES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE SCALLOPS. Wont go to that trouble again unless I am stranded and starving. (and this is coming from someone who likes bluefish)

Keith
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Ed Walker
Man of leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty KC
I heard that "stingray taste like scallops" line too, so when my son got a big southern ray last year we decided to try it. Hard to clean, meat looks really wierd (kind of like strings) and TASTES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE SCALLOPS. Wont go to that trouble again unless I am stranded and starving. (and this is coming from someone who likes bluefish)

Keith
And there you have it. Thank you very much. That old wives tale is total BS (same as the restaurant urban legend) but theres always that guy. You know, the one who has a friend whos sisters husbands brother-inlaw makes these psuedo-scallops all the time and says they are great. Shark too. In fact I think you can go to Walmart, get yourself one of those ever-so-common stingray scallop stampers and make delicious and tasty scallops out of just about anything.

Last edited by Ed Walker; 04-20-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Ed Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
cerobit
dazedNconfussled

I'll second on that weird looking meat. Full of cartilage. Maybe I just cleaned it the wrong way, but it was WEIRD!!!! hey, and I love bluefish AND HARDHEADS!!!
cerobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:10 AM   #12
Christof
Buddies are the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Walker
In fact I think you can go to Walmart, get yourself one of those ever-so-common stingray scallop stampers and make delicious and tasty scallops out of just about anything.

Now that is some funny shiot!
Someone on the Florida Sportsman site had said that sheepshead if boiled in crab boil were just like eating lobster (not the first time I had heard similar stuff about other fish) which I found NOT to be the case.... It tasted like fish boiled in crab boil to me.... So I figure either people have really shitty taste ability, or they eat some really crappy lobster/scallops etc. if they think all this stuff can be made to taste like all that stuff...... I think if I want lobster, I'll go buy some, or crab, or scallops.....
I did have a guy ask me today for all my sheep carcasses and says he fries them up (fillet'd already) and picks all the meat "out da bones".... Also loves to fry up the tails "and et em like tater chips".... Makes me feel like I waste a lot of edible fish...

Christof

"Any day diving is a damn good day!!"
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:19 AM   #13
cerobit
dazedNconfussled

my grandma used to fry up fins from bream i would bring home when i was a boy. tasted better than potato chips!
cerobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 AM   #14
23six
Kalea Kai

you just go ahead and knock yourself out
23six is offline   Reply With Quote