Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
Polystigma
No Bananas!

Wetsuit Bacteria, Kicked me in the nuts.

I always wash my suit after a weekend or day of diving. My washing usually consists of spraying the suit out with fresh water. And leaving it someplace to dry. Well, sometimes after I wash the wetsuit and return one or two weeks later. I find the inside of the suit to still be wet and moist! Sometimes the suit would be a bit smelly. Never thought of it as too serious a problem... until now!

This is my first open cell wetsuit. And it seems through my prolonged negligence and stupidity, I have paid the price.
After this weekends diving. I have now developed a zit-like rash on the back of my left leg (Where it usually chafes, back of knees). Also some on my calfs, front legs, thighs, forearm, bicep, back, damn nipple, and armpit.
The areas of irritation look like small whitehead zits with a red-ring area around them.

All I can say is shitfukinmothafuka. This feels like it is going to be a shitty ride.

Now to my question... How do I eradicate the bacteria from the suit without damaging it?
I am sure I'm not the first to have faced this problem.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

Re: Wetsuit Bacteria, Kicked me in the nuts.

Put it in the Burn Pile ,that will cleanse it
Md Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Miko

Are you hanging the suit to dry inside-out?

I had a similar issue at first when I got my open cell (suit staying wet, not the rash). That's when I figured I should hang the suit to dry inside-out. That way it wont stick to itself, and will allow for proper air flow to dry. No problems since.
As for the eradication... good luck! Sounds gross!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
bug_power
Team Jetty Jumper!

antibacterial soap and hang in a cool DRY place. Seems to me that residual moisture is causing mold/bacteria. Was hang, and dry with a fan in the tub.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
Blackfoot

same thing happened to me... you have a nasty bacterial rash called "foliculitus" (fo-lick-you-light-us). this nasty rash infects your hair follicles and it doesn't go away. you need to take some presciption meds so that it doesn't turn into blood posioning...just be glad you don't have it on your face, as that has happened to other divers before. (mine was all over my legs...thnak GOD i wear speedos...lol)

then you need to go to CVS and buy a concentrated shampoo/soap called "hibicleanse" (hib-ba-cleanse)..it's 10 bucks for a pint. take your suit, inside out, to a laundromat and stick it in one of those big washers (without the center piece that churns your clothes) and dump the hibicleanse in. wash it.

the take it home and let it dry inside out in the sun. bake it really good on both sides. this IS NOT something you do each time your drying your suit as you will ruin it in no time. between the wash and the sun dry, you'll be ok.

then, as a precaution, when you make a lube fo your suit, add a little hibicleanse in to help destroy any bacteria from being re-introduced to your suit.

will
Blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
zenspearo

pee rash

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

hahahaha, Poly, Im sorry man, hahahaha Just put some Zinc oxide on the affected area and you will be o.k.
Always wash your suit with some anti bac soap from the inside out.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

I was making fun of my buddies pee rash until I got one a few weeks later!! Take these guys advice on how to clean your suit, but as far as getting rid of the rash, call me and I'll give you some stuff that will take it away. My friend loaned me what basically consists of heavy duty diaper rash for kids and within a day or two it was almost gone. He ordered it over the internet, but I'm sure you don't want to wait that long. Call me Poly, I'll hook you up.

I now rinse and hang my suit out inside out like the others said and haven't had any problems. Of course the worst thing is, I no longer pee in my suit. That's really too bad, as I love to marinate in my own urine when I dive.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
jeffcroci

I also got folliculitis it was horrible, I had about 200 (literally) really sore whiteheads. if its not going awai in about a day, you need to go to the doctors and get some antibiotics. follow Sask's advice as well, its the same thing I did and it works well

jeff
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Polystigma
No Bananas!

Strange, I also suspected folliculitus.
I will run it by my mom, who is an RN. She will recognize what it is for sure, no problem.
I gave it an application of hydrocortizone cream last night. Does not feel like someone sandpapered my skin on the back of my knee anymore.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
Nate Baker

What is it about someone else's misfortune that's so funny when you've been there yourself?

That rash can take two or three weeks to go away if you let it run it's course. Just be thankful you only have it in back of one knee. It can cover most of your body. It's particularly fun when you get it on your ass, and it reminds you of its presence every time you sit.

Earlier advice was bang on. Rinse the suit, and hang it up inside out. Do it outdoors for at least a day. When you hang it indoors, it can take too long to dry. A shady spot should work fine, particularly this time of year when it's warm.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Bill McIntyre

I concur with everyone who said to hang it inside out.

I used to try to soak my suit in soapy water for at least a couple of hours, but its too hard to hold the damn thing down and it means that you can't get it all over with quickly, so I've taken to laying it out flat and sponging it off with undiluted liquid laundry detergent. That seems to do as good a job on the urine odor as soaking it in a weaker solution.

If your boat has a salt water washdown, you might try sticking the nozzle down your neck and flushing it every time you come back to the boat. Of if you can hold the urine until you get back to the boat, flush at the same time you are urinating. That keeps the urine from migrating uphill and at the very least means that you are not marinating in the same urine all day.

Of course that is easier to do in the summer. In the winter, it takes a bit of fortitude.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
lost@sea
Tall Can Santa

I went to the Doc for the sore white head thing after diving and they thaught I was bit by a black widow or had chicken pox (ruled out). I had a fever and the back of my joints, bottom of my feet and arm pits were real sore. This happened maybe 5 times about 10 years ago and then hasn't reoccured. Nasty little infection!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
undrH2Ohntr
Loco para Jurel

if that gets any worse you need to get to the ER immediately. It could be a staph infection. I got a staph infection (MIRSA spelling) a year ago from playing rugby with open wounds on my arms. It started out with big zits/whiteheads, I thought no big deal......after about 5 days it started to get really swollen, hot, and red. My wife made me go to the ER and low and behold I spent 3 hours hooked up to an IV getting medication. I had to come back the next day for another 2 hour dose. Then you have to scrub with disinfectant soap, like surgeons use, scrub out the inside of your nose with a solution for a month, apparently that's where the staph can incubate.

Bottom line, don't fu** with it, better safe than sorry. The doc told me if I would have waited until the next morning I would have had to been hospitalized.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
tommy7

I wash my suit in the washer w/ laundry soap and a couple oz. of bleach and then hang skin out to dry.....never had a problem.

tommy