Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
justin-branam

Send a message via AIM to justin-branam
Question How do you freeze lobster tails properly?

For fish, i've always put the filet's in a bag with water with a pinch of salt, and freeze them in the water to prevent freezer burn. Can this be done with lobster tails? I've also read where it said you shouldn't freeze tails for any longer than one month. Is this absolutely true? Im headed to my dads in a little over a month, and thought id take some tails to him, but ive had them frozen in plastic freezer bags for a week now? should i refreeze them in water and will they last that long? thanks!

www.justinunderwater.com
justin-branam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Bill McIntyre

Re: How do you freeze lobster tails properly?

I froze some this year the same way I freeze fish- with a Food Saver vacuum thingie. But first I snipped off the spines on each side and wrapped them in paper towels to make sure that I didn't puncture the plastic.

They last a long time that way.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
JHO007
Deathpickle.com soon...

I've had tails for 2-3 months in my freezer the way you described with no major difference than fresh.

J.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
maddog

Send a message via Yahoo to maddog

I'm sure that they are ruined and inedible if frozen longer than 1 month. Please send these tails and all others to my home address ASAP
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
FreedivinFool
Dane

I have heard to put them in water and freeze them as if they are part of the giant ice cube. It works they stay good for 2-4 months.
FreedivinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
sealark

I have been going to the keys for over 40 years and bringing lobster back. All I have ever done is put 5 tails in a quart ziploc bags and freeze them like that. I have eaten some over a year old and never had a problem one. Infact I ate some last week from last August opening week of 07 and I am still here.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
FredT

The best method I've found to freeze an odd tail or three is to use an appropriately sized Dixie cup for each tail.

After tailing the bug, and harvesting the antenna knuckles, put a small amount of salt water in the bottom of the cup, then insert the tail body end first. Coil the tail to expose only the smooth outer shell to the freezer and add just enough salt water to cover any exposed meat. Place in the freezer until the thing is solid, then store sevral in quart or gallon ziplocs if planning to keep them over a few months.

Treat antenna knuckles the same way, but cover them in saltwater. Thorax base and legs don't freeze well so you may as well boil or nuke them and eat that part fresh. Be aware that the thorax and legs have almost as much meat in it as the tail, it's just harder to get it out.

Last edited by FredT; 03-15-2008 at 05:58 PM.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
scubaian
Subdude

I save the styrofoam thingies from meat I buy at the store. I wash them really good and then place a tail on top. Throw the whole thing in the vacu-packer and presto, a beautifully displayed vacuum packed lobster that does not puncture the plastic. The spines sink into the stryofoam.
I don't know how long they can last this way, they are usually gone within a month or two.
scubaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
seriola

Has anyone noticed that previously-frozen tails stick a little more to the inside of the tail shell after boiling or BBQing than fresh tails? Not sure why it happens, but it seems like previously-frozen tail meat does not come out as easily.

If this has happened to you, have you figured out a way to improve the situation?
seriola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Catalyst
Formerly Twin-or-Lose

Vacuum seal machine is priceless for anyone who fishes. I do as mentioned above. Line the bag with folded paper towels to avoid puncture and vacuum away. I think the important part is to thaw in cold water. I just drop the bag in a metal bowl full of cold water and its ready to cook in about an hour.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
Grin

I fanatically trim and vacuum seal my fillets. But lobsters are very hearty. I simply do as stated, and throw a few in a ziplock, and fill it with water, and freeze. I have had frozen lobsters in the freezer, this way, for close to a year. When I cooked them, I figured I was not going to eat them, but others would not know any difference. To my suprise they tasted as good as new. I've done this a few times. The only ones that stick to the shell are the soft ones sometimes. I always pull the meat out of the shell before cooking anyway, so when I cook them I don't have that problem. But when I take them to neighbors, and they cook them in the shell, they do stick when freshly molted (soft shelled tails).
Cut the top of the shell with heavy scissors, pull the meat out and lay it on top of the shell, a little butter and a little garlic. 25 minutes in the oven on 350, done!
The grill looks wonderful, but is a uncontrolled way to cook them. Lobsters are critical on the cooking time and temp. Too long = dry. Too short = soggy. That method is the best way I have found to get them right. Of course you have to add or subtract a minute, or two, for extra large or extra small tails. 25 minutes at 350 works perfect for normal sized tails.
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
fishpkt

Location: currently the north, getting ready to head back to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
I have been going to the keys for over 40 years and bringing lobster back. All I have ever done is put 5 tails in a quart ziploc bags and freeze them like that. I have eaten some over a year old and never had a problem one. Infact I ate some last week from last August opening week of 07 and I am still here.
This is what my family has done for over 15 years as well and we notice no difference between the lobster we ate fresh and the tails that were a year old.

With regards to the tails sticking to the shells. I thaw out the tails and seperate the tails from the shell prior to broiling or grilling (if you're not already doing that) and have never had a problem with a tail frozen for an extended period of time pulling free from the shell. If you are already doing this, I'm not sure what to tell you.
fishpkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
snokat
Registered Lobster Abuser

Send a message via AIM to snokat

ZIP BAG, water & tails, bleed out the air.. The paper towel idea sounds trick, but I usually just prop the bags up with other goodies already in the freezer.
After thawing, I cut my tails in half with kitchen scissors for faster cooking on the grill, 15-16 mins. max.
If your meat is sticking to the shell try adding margerine or butter to the tail meat when you start grilling.

Have you tried my lobster pesto pizza?

The only good fish, is the one on my plate. AK
snokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
FredT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola View Post
Has anyone noticed that previously-frozen tails stick a little more to the inside of the tail shell after boiling or BBQing than fresh tails? Not sure why it happens, but it seems like previously-frozen tail meat does not come out as easily.

If this has happened to you, have you figured out a way to improve the situation?
Not enough salt in the water.
Water less salty than the meat makes the meat swell and adhere to the shell. Water slightly saltier than the meat makes the meat shrink a bit and release from the shell.

FT

Last edited by FredT; 03-18-2008 at 02:08 PM.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
GUNNY

Vacume seal like Bill said. Just make sure they are completely dry or it won't seal. I just ate my last couple from last mini season,..no problems!