Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
reelbeast

Open water rigging

I'm just getting started with spearfishing and was wondering how yall rigged your floats and float lines? Do yall attach the float line to your gun or is there another way because I'm a little hesitant to just let my gun go. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
reelbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Bill McIntyre

Re: Open water rigging

Its best to use a breakaway system so that your gun is out of the chain. A Hawaiian breakaway is foolproof and cheap.

Cut your shooting line so that the loop in the rear end is a few inches from the line release. Tie a loop of bungee cord so that it stretches from the shooting line over the line release, and attach the float line to the loop in the shooting line (not to the loop of bungee cord).

When you pull the trigger, you are left with the gun in your hand and the fish is fighting the float.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway.JPG
Views:	992
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	83634   Click image for larger version

Name:	breakreleased.JPG
Views:	994
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	83635   Click image for larger version

Name:	breaka2.JPG
Views:	995
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	83636  
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo

that is a good way of rigging but not always the most common.
as a beginner diver your more likely going to just attach the float line to your gun. believe me, youll get comfortable wiht letting your gun go..it aint gonna go very far attached to a float line attached to a float.
i think the break away rigging more for bluewater and bigger game fish...i think.
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Gerald C. Perry
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Its best to use a breakaway system so that your gun is out of the chain. A Hawaiian breakaway is foolproof and cheap.

Cut your shooting line so that the loop in the rear end is a few inches from the line release. Tie a loop of bungee cord so that it stretches from the shooting line over the line release, and attach the float line to the loop in the shooting line (not to the loop of bungee cord).

When you pull the trigger, you are left with the gun in your hand and the fish is fighting the float.
Bill, beautiful and informative post. I love the pictures. I'm a wanna be Blue water guy and I recently bought a Rob Allen 150. Are you familiar with the line release set up? It's an open muzzle gun. Will I be able to rig it up the same way? I don't like the idea of letting go of the gun because it's not going to happen. I lost about a fifty pound Trevally with the line joined to the gun. I'm used to a reel so instinctively I held on after the shot and BANG! Ended up losing the fish.Thanks!

Skip Perry

Last edited by Gerald C. Perry; 09-15-2008 at 06:08 AM. Reason: added something
Gerald C. Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Jims

Gerald,

Go to Rob Allens website and then gear then accessories, you will find his version of a break away and it shows it rigged to one of his guns. Another thing you could do is use a break away like Neptonics has, the snubber and an eye bolt and rig it up like Rob shows.

Jims
Jims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald C. Perry View Post
I'm a wanna be Blue water guy and I recently bought a Rob Allen 150. Are you familiar with the line release set up? It's an open muzzle gun. Will I be able to rig it up the same way?
Its been a while since I paid attention to a RA line release, but I think it would work just fine. I'm pretty sure friends of mine have used Hawaiian breakaway on their Rob Allens.

All my guns are open muzzle, but it shouldn't matter as far as I know.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
reelbeast

Thanks for all the great information i got my speargun set up and ready to go thanks for the pictures it was extremely helpful
reelbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by njspearo View Post
that is a good way of rigging but not always the most common.
as a beginner diver your more likely going to just attach the float line to your gun. believe me, youll get comfortable wiht letting your gun go..it aint gonna go very far attached to a float line attached to a float.
i think the break away rigging more for bluewater and bigger game fish...i think.
, but just the same HBA work well too
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Gerald C. Perry
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims View Post
Gerald,

Go to Rob Allens website and then gear then accessories, you will find his version of a break away and it shows it rigged to one of his guns. Another thing you could do is use a break away like Neptonics has, the snubber and an eye bolt and rig it up like Rob shows.

Jims
Thanks Jim I'll check it out. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I hope it comes in soon.

Last edited by Gerald C. Perry; 09-16-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
pablo
Pacosub

Hey guys, the hawaiian breakaway that Bill describes works great on Rob Allen guns. I would recommend getting the stainless steel line release though. I'll try to take some pics and post em up.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #11
Guido4198

Bill,
Thanks for the pics...Very little of my spearing is out in the bluewater...but I've been considering it for Summer time down here when we sometimes have huge Sargasso mats that hold some decent sized Mahi among other goodies...
Guido4198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
GhostWhite

Send a message via AIM to GhostWhite

if your not bluewater spearing do everything you can to avoid a float. you will quickly find out how cumbersome and annoying it gets. if you go bluewater and you want the float go with the eye bolt and rubber bungie set up like the rob allen guns. i did it to my a couple billers now two and it works great.
GhostWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
Gerald C. Perry
Skip

I was wondering about guns witha line release made of plastic. Would the tension from the bungie and float pull the line off the release? Thanks

Skip Perry

Last edited by Gerald C. Perry; 09-16-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 09-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
aquaholick
pacific pish poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWhite View Post
if your not bluewater spearing do everything you can to avoid a float. you will quickly find out how cumbersome and annoying it gets. if you go bluewater and you want the float go with the eye bolt and rubber bungie set up like the rob allen guns. i did it to my a couple billers now two and it works great.
That's the way I felt until one day the guys on the boat could not see me in the water and drove away. I felt pretty helpless and pissed at that point, and wished I had my float.
aquaholick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
spearguam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald C. Perry View Post
I was wondering about guns witha line release made of plastic. Would the tension from the bungie and float pull the line off the release? Thanks

Skip Perry
Also check out Neptonic Systems break away adapter. It looks like it would work out very well for an RA line release.

TG