Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
a.s.alvarez
One shot, One fish

Carbon Fiber Pole Spear

I just got this 7' carbon fiber pole spear from Austin's in Miami. I wanted something fast and light, for my wife who is a good spearo. It is made by Freedivers Unlimited, I have never hear of them.

Dennis from Austin's has one and said that it was fast. It is Very VERY Light!!! It is so light that back end floats in the pool (not a problem when you shot it or swim with it). It is Very Very Fast. It is 7' of carbon fiber pole that has a nice large diameter about 5/8 and gets a little thicker toward the back. It has a 12" stainless shaft with a thread (over all of 8' ). I put a JBL 18" extension that has a rock point and a flopper. (total of 9'6")

I shot it in the pool today at a foam buoy. It shot super fast with the regular band that it came with. The JBL extension added enough mass, so it was hit nice and hard due to it's speed. It does not hit as hard as my Manny Puig, but my Manny Puig is not as fast as that. And I have a much stronger band on my Puig then it comes with.

This is a great pole spear for fish up to 25 pounds and with a slip tip even bigger should not be a problem. I have no idea who the hell freediver unlimited is/are or warranty of anything else. I need to go kill somefish with it and I will let you guys know. (if my wife lets me use it...LOL)

PS. Ocean Ed, I listened to your advise about a longer polespear and I like it. MY next pole spear will be a Aaron Crist 7-8' plus a 24-30"shaft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pole2.jpg
Views:	1654
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	86032   Click image for larger version

Name:	pole3.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	86033   Click image for larger version

Name:	pole4.jpg
Views:	1530
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	86034   Click image for larger version

Name:	pole 5.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	86035  

On my death bed I won't be thinking " Man, I wish I had worked more".
a.s.alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Silentspear
Seal-pup polespear-er

Re: Carbon Fiber Pole Spear

Nice polespear!!!

Silentspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
The Jewish Assassin
Jeremy

I saw that thing at dive and surf in miami. looked awsome. let us know how it goes
The Jewish Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
OceanEd

Glad you like the idea of a longer pole spear. I love them. I didn't realize someone had come out with a carbon fiber pole spear. I will have to check it out. I am sure people like Aaron Christ will be interested also. I have been on his case to combine a carbon fiber front end with his back end.
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Be careful with the carbon fiber, its fairly fragile. Dont pry out a fish or bang it knownly against a rock or under a ledge. It is stiff, but has its limitations. It will have sharp splinters if cracked. I think it is a good material for a pole spear, as its light, stiff and strong. I have several fiberglass and an aluminum Ray Odor that I have several 5/16ths spears for-the one it came with about a foot long, a 6" one to adapt a paralyzer tip with 2' fiberglass extension, and a 3' spear with flopper. I made a carbon fiber/fiberglass polespear out of an old 6' fiberglass polespear and a carbon fiber golf club shaft about 3 1/2'- 4', but havent tried it out yet. That seems like it will be a good polespear-the all carbon. 9' 6" is a long spear! Tell us how you do.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
a.s.alvarez
One shot, One fish

Stephen, I spoke to Aaron on the phone and was telling him about it. In a couple of months I am going to order an Aaron pole spear. I will take the Carbon Fiber pole spear to the Blue Wild, so you guys can check it out. I am doing a pole spear free dive tourney, in Miami in Dec. So I will tell you how it goes.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
OceanEd

Great news. If you are going to bring it to the Spearfishing Symposium Pole Spear workshop then I won't try to have one there. We can look at yours. Hopefully Aaron is going to be able to make it also.

I would love to get someone from Gat-Ku there also as their great pole spears have a cf front end.

I called Austin's today to ask about the price of your pole spear but they were closed.

Let us know how you do in the tournament.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
a.s.alvarez
One shot, One fish

Quick correction, the overall lenght is 7' of carbon fiber pole plus 7.5" of the front thread on shaft total 7' 7.5"

Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Man-O-War
Lothario

When you bend the shaft portion of the polespear, you are screwed....no?
SeaWolf reels @seawolfreels
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Nice man! Those guys at Austins are all great fellows, way to support LDS, now go green some water!
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
a.s.alvarez
One shot, One fish

Sorry to bring back this dead thread. I never posted anything about this polespear. It works GREAT!!! I have had a couple of friends that shot it and they loved it, it became their favorite. One guy then picked one up at Austins also. The spear is super light, as stiff as a metal pole, and super fast. I really like my Manny Puig but I love this thing. It works super with the JBL breakway for polespears, the JBL adds 14" to the length. I cut the wire and re-tie it like the Henly set up and it works great. It is nice and long so it has great distance. This set up with the break away and tag line will work great on large fish to 50lb. plus. If you like the light fast style of pole spear this is way to go.

This is the link to the JBL breakway it works great.
http://www.austins.com/jblsliptip.aspx

Old 06-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Nice report on your Bahama trip and good to hear your carbon spear did the job. Alfred showed this spear to me at the Blue Wild and from first inspection it seemed it would make for a fine spear. I usually don't like to suggest gear that I haven't used or haven't heard any reviews on but if Alfred said it worked well for him the spear is at a good price for a functional spear made from carbon. I recommend a slip-tip as the front shaft is like the JBL spear and is non-replaceable.
What type of grip did you use?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
OceanEd

Have not been on the board for a week. Nice to know the cf pole worked out. The guy who makes them was in the shop a while back and we talked. I was impressed by the pole. I wish he made a 9' or 11' model, but you are right about putting a JBL extension on the front end and then using a Henley type attachment so you don't overstress the JBL extension.

Taking an Advanced Open Water class out on a 3 tank U/W Hunting trip tomorrow. I plan on taking my redesigned Crist pole spear with me. I will mostly be spotting, pointing, and stringing fish for my students but just in case some monster Amberjack comes along so I can test the new design......................!!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
a.s.alvarez
One shot, One fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspearo View Post
Nice report on your Bahama trip and good to hear your carbon spear did the job. Alfred showed this spear to me at the Blue Wild and from first inspection it seemed it would make for a fine spear. I usually don't like to suggest gear that I haven't used or haven't heard any reviews on but if Alfred said it worked well for him the spear is at a good price for a functional spear made from carbon. I recommend a slip-tip as the front shaft is like the JBL spear and is non-replaceable.
What type of grip did you use?
I had a friend from Arizona recommend a great material for a grip. Thanks Arron the grip worked out great.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver

I really like skateboard deck tape. You can pick up a role of similar stuff at Home Depot for $10 bucks. It stays on, and gives you a hell of a grip.
Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote