Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
pikkashoe

Question about wetsuit fit?

I recently bought a Spetton 2 piece hexo camo 1.5 mm suit. Great looking suit. Now here is my question, i initially bought a medium due to my size (im 6', and weight 170 lbs). I tried it on and it seemed fine, but after wearing it for about half an hour, it got really really uncomfortable, especially the area around the groin. I ended up returning it and getting a large.

Now the suit fits much better. My only question now is that in certain areas it doesnt fit as tight. My thighs and chest area is fine, and so are my legs, but the arms are not as tight, so water floods in. It feels like I am alot more bouyant now. Is this a problem?
pikkashoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Question about wetsuit fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkashoe View Post
I recently bought a Spetton 2 piece hexo camo 1.5 mm suit. Great looking suit. Now here is my question, i initially bought a medium due to my size (im 6', and weight 170 lbs). I tried it on and it seemed fine, but after wearing it for about half an hour, it got really really uncomfortable, especially the area around the groin. I ended up returning it and getting a large.

Now the suit fits much better. My only question now is that in certain areas it doesnt fit as tight. My thighs and chest area is fine, and so are my legs, but the arms are not as tight, so water floods in. It feels like I am alot more bouyant now. Is this a problem?
More buoyant= wear more weight.
Arms too loose = send it to Seatux, we will tapper it to fit. We do it all the time.
don
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Aquarius
Dan "Brock" Brockwell

Send a message via Yahoo to Aquarius

Sounds like you need a medium long. Dont know if that company offers that option though.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
pikkashoe

Seatux, interesting idea. How much does this generally cost.
The finished product in terms of reliability, is it the same? Can the stitching be duplicated? I am new to wetsuits, so I dont know much.
Where can I get more information if I go this route?

Aquarius, yeah they only have small, medium, large and xlarge and xxlarge.

The medium fits me great in terms of not allowing water in, but its to short from my head to waist, and the strap goes beneath your legs at that point is so tight, its unbearable.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
pikkashoe

Im starting to think if I should just return it and get a refund and look for a better fitting suit.

Right now where I dive, in s florida, I am not concerned too much about keeping warm, but later on down the road when it does get cold, i dont want to be in a situation where the wetsuit is not doing its job and its too late to return it.

What do you guys think.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarius
Dan "Brock" Brockwell

Yeah, I figured that was the case as to how it fits ya. Eat more food dude!!! Haha. Well, hopefully you can get it tailored. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
pikkashoe

Yeah eating more food i dont think will help. It will all go to my stomach area, which is fine. lol
Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkashoe View Post
Seatux, interesting idea. How much does this generally cost.
The finished product in terms of reliability, is it the same? Can the stitching be duplicated? I am new to wetsuits, so I dont know much.
Where can I get more information if I go this route?

Aquarius, yeah they only have small, medium, large and xlarge and xxlarge.

The medium fits me great in terms of not allowing water in, but its to short from my head to waist, and the strap goes beneath your legs at that point is so tight, its unbearable.
I'm in Port Charlotte Florida, where in Florida are you? I get work in here from all over the country and Canada, done allot of work for guys on this board.
We manufactured wet and dry suits form 1980 till I retired to Florida a few years ago.
Can the stiching be duplicated? If it is a glued and blind stiched suit, yes, that is the best construction and that is all we do. If it is a very thin suit it may be thru stiched. PM me , we'll talk.
Turn around usually 3 days.
don
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
pikkashoe

Hey Seatux. I am in Miami. I have no idea what kind of stitching is on the Suit.
To give you an idea, its a Spetton 1.5 mm Hexo Camo Two Piece suit. The description on their site does not really say anything about the stitching.
I am pm you now with some more questions.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

imo, wetsuits should be custom.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Aquarius
Dan "Brock" Brockwell

I'm curious as to how a suit can be tailored without the person it needs to be tailored to being there.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
pikkashoe

Yeah thats what I just PM'd him with. I am assuming some type of measurements need to be taken before cutting up the suit???

I just got the suit on saturday, so if its too much of a hassle, or too much $$$, then I can always return it and get something else.

As a precaution, anyone know of any other 1.5 mm suits that could be recommended.
I dive in Miami, so the water is a bit warm, so I want to kind of stick to a 1.5 mm suit.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Aquarius
Dan "Brock" Brockwell

Not sure what you are looking to spend. Did a quick search on 1.5 mil medium long suits and got this.

This Omer comes in a medium/large
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OSBWDM1.html

This one also comes in a medium/large but it is out of stock
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ...21M.html?Hit=1

Just some ideas. I have seen suits out here sized as medium/long. But am havin a time trying to find them online. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
I'm curious as to how a suit can be tailored without the person it needs to be tailored to being there.
elios, polosub, diveskin all do custom suits. There are many more places too. You just measure yourself.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
pikkashoe

ooh, the omer one looks nice, and its a one piece, and the have a medium/large size. Might just go back and exchange it for that one, since its the same price, and my dive store carries it according to their website.