Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota) (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=130670)

grey2112 04-07-2014 05:33 AM

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cldomson1 (Post 1939345)
I agree.

You should have charged him right off the bat.

C

Forgive my ignorance - is charging a sandbar shark in particular the proper thing to do when they are acting like this? Does this frighten them off or at least make them keep their distance?

Does this tactic work for bullsharks as well? Or is there something else that needs to be done then?

We were ascending to get back in the boat, and my fellow diver felt threatened enough to unleash a shaft with a powerhead at it, but the powerhead failed to detonate. I'm kind of glad it didn't - I'm a believer in doing everything possible to avoid unnecessary loss of marine life - but my first order of business today is contacting Ray Odor and getting a powerhead of my own, just in case!

jmorton 04-07-2014 06:09 AM

Tough to say as none of us were there and that video does not tell all of course. You are the one there and the one that must make the decision.

With that said more aggression shown back to him probably would have mitigated his interest. It was also interesting to see his erratic swimming but he didn't have much of an aggressive posture otherwise.

What happened to the shaft that your friend shot?

grey2112 04-07-2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton (Post 1939398)
Tough to say as none of us were there and that video does not tell all of course. You are the one there and the one that must make the decision.

With that said more aggression shown back to him probably would have mitigated his interest. It was also interesting to see his erratic swimming but he didn't have much of an aggressive posture otherwise.

What happened to the shaft that your friend shot?

Shaft was recovered (it was on a line).

I don't know if I have a special scent that attracts sharks or what, but it seems this happens to ME an awful lot - LOL.

cldomson1 04-07-2014 06:41 AM

IMO you should charge any shark you see, except a GW or Tiger.

Once you first sight him, swim at him yelling in your snorkel/regulator with a deep voice. Sharks don't like confrontation. Charge them and try to poke them, hard! That will usually do the trick.

If they come back for more, powerhead them. I think I've had to powerhead 2 over the years. And a free shaft to the gills works well also.

If you retreat or continue to ascend, they get more confident.

C

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey2112 (Post 1939397)
Forgive my ignorance - is charging a sandbar shark in particular the proper thing to do when they are acting like this? Does this frighten them off or at least make them keep their distance?

Does this tactic work for bullsharks as well? Or is there something else that needs to be done then?

We were ascending to get back in the boat, and my fellow diver felt threatened enough to unleash a shaft with a powerhead at it, but the powerhead failed to detonate. I'm kind of glad it didn't - I'm a believer in doing everything possible to avoid unnecessary loss of marine life - but my first order of business today is contacting Ray Odor and getting a powerhead of my own, just in case!

grey2112 04-07-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cldomson1 (Post 1939403)
IMO you should charge any shark you see, except a GW or Tiger.

Once you first sight him, swim at him yelling in your snorkel/regulator with a deep voice. Sharks don't like confrontation. Charge them and try to poke them, hard! That will usually do the trick.

If they come back for more, powerhead them. I think I've had to powerhead 2 over the years. And a free shaft to the gills works well also.

If you retreat or continue to ascend, they get more confident.

C

Thanks for the advice! What about hammerheads and makos?

spearhunter11 04-07-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey2112 (Post 1939400)
Shaft was recovered (it was on a line).

I don't know if I have a special scent that attracts sharks or what, but it seems this happens to ME an awful lot - LOL.

Haha you don't have a special scent. It is the spots you dive, Ask you buddy if he got a straight shot on the shark. When using a power head the best angle for detonation is 90 degrees, if not the shaft has tendency to miss the primer and not discharge the round! If you don't want to hurt the sharks you could always just put the powerhead on with no round! If you get the ppd(personal protection device) slip on powerhead be carefull to not put your thumb over the business end when loading, and keep calm you don't wanna lose a thumb or hand jamming the ppd on in a hurry!

cldomson1 04-07-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey2112 (Post 1939405)
Thanks for the advice! What about hammerheads and makos?

The hammerheads I've seen haven't bothered me. Haven't seen a mako yet, prob like a Tiger: shoot it the first time it comes in hard. Tigers are usually calm and leave on there own. Mako is too unpredictable for me to charge.

C

jstiver09 04-07-2014 07:22 AM

If you are smart about where you shoot them, you can use your regular floppered shaft. I usually aim for the last 2 inches of their nose. This way if I miss they get a good scare and if I hit the nose is hard enough for the shaft to not make it deep enough to engage the flopper. I have given a few nose piercings this way and the shaft has just pulled right out with the first run...none returned (including bulls).

Water Boy76 04-07-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearhunter11 (Post 1939406)
It is the spots you dive.

Stay away from artificials and the ledges near them this time of year. Unless you want to feed the sharks brown trout. :D

FWIW I've had more PPD's fail to detonate than detonate. Even with 90 degree shots and fresh ammo. I think it's the cruddy spinner tip screw in shaft I used to use (glad I lost it). Maybe I'm just unlucky, I dunno. But I'm starting to lean towards loosing a freeshaft vs messing with PPD's. They almost cost the same anyways.

ahoullis 04-07-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Boy76 (Post 1939422)
Stay away from artificials and the ledges near them this time of year. Unless you want to feed the sharks brown trout. :D

FWIW I've had more PPD's fail to detonate than detonate. Even with 90 degree shots and fresh ammo. I think it's the cruddy spinner tip screw in shaft I used to use (glad I lost it). Maybe I'm just unlucky, I dunno. But I'm starting to lean towards loosing a freeshaft vs messing with PPD's. They almost cost the same anyways.

If you are a scuba diver, buy a dedicated "shark shaft" with threads on the end then drill a hole in a golf ball a little smaller than the shaft and thread the golf ball on the end of the shaft, bam!

grey2112 04-07-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahoullis (Post 1939424)
If you are a scuba diver, buy a dedicated "shark shaft" with threads on the end then drill a hole in a golf ball a little smaller than the shaft and thread the golf ball on the end of the shaft, bam!

I have thought about that as well - cheaper and less dangerous than a PPD, always "on", retrievable, and won't cause a feeding frenzy if there are other sharks in the water.

Anyone else care to comment on this idea?

jstiver09 04-07-2014 08:12 AM

Or just have a dedicated shaft without a flopper.

Water Boy76 04-07-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahoullis (Post 1939424)

No offense, but sounds a little goofy. Why would I want a golf ball on my spare shaft holder obstructing my view and adding muzzle weight when not needed? Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong? Major points for out of box thinking though!

The last think I'll care about is loosing a shaft when I get bull rushed - pun intended

Seal Rock 04-07-2014 12:48 PM

Eric, is that your video?!

grey2112 04-07-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seal Rock (Post 1939517)
Eric, is that your video?!

Yup

I think I sent you a link via email.

About the 8th time I've swum with sharks while spearfishing. Getting rather normal when I'm diving now - LOL