Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Miami and The Florida Keys (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   good shore dive in the keys? please help! (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=102760)

ny_er 04-17-2010 12:22 PM

Re: good shore dive in the keys? please help!

yo, I shore dive mahi

njspearo 04-17-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny_er (Post 1183728)
yo, I shore dive mahi

hahah
well yeah of course theres that secret spot where we get mahi from shore...but im not telling any one!

Ryfish 04-17-2010 12:27 PM

Ahh relax there NJspearo. I was saying that there are some real good shore dives in the Keys just have to spend the time to find them and get off the beatin path.

Mikeleebaker I will give you a hint... spend some time looking at google maps (this wasnt a option when I lived there) and find deeper water close to shore with good tidal movement. You will have to hit the spots at high-tide and becareful. I will be down there the 1st week of May doing a liveaboard trip to the Marqueas for 5 days cant wait!

mikeleebaker 04-17-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny_er (Post 1183728)
yo, I shore dive mahi

:lol: i loled...

yea im all for getting off the beaten path, i just have a hard time in the keys. im not sure where im aloud to be... guess i'll just have to drop my guard a little bit and start exploring more. i've seen a lot of dirt roads off to the side that always make me curious but i've always figured im not supposed to be there. at the same time i've never seen any signs saying i wasn't aloud...

mikeleebaker 04-19-2010 12:29 AM

okay, so im looking around on google maps... i see a few areas that might be decent places to swim out from... but im not sure exactly where the parks are... i know i have to be south of long key land mass. i've heard i have to be south of 7 mile bridge... im nervous to move around too much... can anybody provide some guidelines for my recon project? i really want to explore, but i really dont want to get in trouble either! i don't mind at all putting in the time to find these places on my own, i just dont want to make a legal mistake.

diverlen 04-19-2010 06:40 AM

Hey Mike, good to see you are back posting on SB. Like others, I used to live on Summerland but always dove off my boat except for in the canal in front of my house. Never speared in there but caught lots of legal lobsters and a few stone crabs. Wish I was still there because I could take you to some fabulous offshore sites, both deep and shallow.
As for advice, maybe you could hook up with one of the local fellows for a day of diving, I know you would like that.
Iff you ever get down around Summerland with a boat that has a GPS, just let me know and I will PM you some waypoints. Enjoy our time down there.

mikeleebaker 04-20-2010 12:45 PM

diverlen! hey man! yea i fell into a time warp... but long story short; i made it out. :p

i will have to take you up on the numbers someday!

mikeleebaker 04-21-2010 04:14 PM

still looking at satellite images.... i have to be south of 7 mile bridge to shore dive and spear right? or is it long key?

stevemc1 04-21-2010 09:12 PM

Long Key.

Keys spearo 04-22-2010 09:12 AM

Hey dude

Its south of the long key bridge to be able to spear from shore. Right by duck key at toms harbor cut bridge on the bay side has produced some good spearing. Walk down the rocks on the bay side, and quietly snorkel around until u see something big. There are many places in the keys you can shoot 10-12 inch mangroves, but whats the point? You dont get much meat, and you eliminate the chance for these fish to grow big. The keys is sadly overfished, and I also feel the minimum size limits are too small. Try to be patient and wait for those 16+ mangroves. I have also seen some monster muttons hanging around there too. Just be sure to stay away from the fishing pier :)
As previously written, shore diving in the keys isnt great, due to our build up on mud and mangrove islands, there are a few spots here and there, but renting a boat is a great fairly cheap way to hit some patch reefs.
Also beware of the fast tide changes. A huge body of water only has a few bridge spans to pass under, the tides will get you fast :(

Sorry cant be much more help, it is what it is. Go out, explore, have fun, pick up a copy of the regulations and the spearfishing booklet.

Safe happy hunting

Runngo 09-02-2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keysdivers (Post 1178792)
There really aren't any good shore dives in the Keys.
Too shallow for long distances or actually illegal if you read all rules, laws and ordinances.
It is actually illegal to spearfish from land around any bridges or jettys in the Keys. The minimum distances in which you can spear from manmade structure precludes legally doing so. In many cases you will be ticketed by FWC.

WRONG...read the regs man, your information is wrong and you're spewing out false information on the internet without checking the very sources that you are referencing. Once south of Long Key, 300 yards from a public beach, as well as any fishing piers. Check it out yourself...

kwtony 01-20-2017 04:50 PM

^^ ding ding ding.......so much good shore diving here its insane!!! insane...i wont tell you about the mahi mahi i saw on a shore dive here in the keys , thats for another time.

kwtony 02-02-2017 12:16 AM

I wont tell you about the cobia, mangrove, world class cubera, sailfish and even those pesky tuners on a shore dive....no one would believe me anyways....

manmarvel 02-02-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwtony (Post 2132063)
I wont tell you about the cobia, mangrove, world class cubera, sailfish and even those pesky tuners on a shore dive....no one would believe me anyways....

hahahaha!

kwtony 02-02-2017 07:36 PM

Lets perpetuate the idea that shore diving in the fl keys SUCKS!! Dont even try it, waste of tiiiiiime