Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Any suggestions for new floats, old ones died. (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=200617)

mikelb 09-24-2020 02:15 PM

Any suggestions for new floats, old ones died.

1 Attachment(s)
Well, they finally died. I've had these two Aimrite floats for longer than I thought because I finally realized they were not repairable. Last week, I noticed the bigger one of them was leaking so I pulled out the Aquaseal and went to work night after night trying to get it to seal. Eventually, I realized the float was basically leaking all the way around the stitching. And then I pumped up the smaller float and realized the same thing.

Can anyone recommend a replacement float that can be orally inflated/folded? I already have 3ATM Riffe and Rob Allen hard floats. Different floats for different needs, I need something sturdy taking up less room. Thanks, Mike L.

Lino 09-24-2020 02:31 PM

Re: Any suggestions for new floats, old ones died.

You could always try using Stan's no tubes, I bet that will stop leaking.
I can almost guarantee that will stop leaking.

Narced_up 09-24-2020 02:50 PM

I’ve used the Neptonics inflatable float.
I have taken it on 4 spearfishing trips, over the last 2 years.
Super compact when deflated for easy and light travel.

To be quite honest- I’m surprised it’s lasted this long as the material is somewhat thin, It doesn’t have an air bladder inside and the handles sewn on the side have been ripped off one side when a wave hit me as I was holding the handle.

But other than that, it’s been great! Especially for travel.

Diver278 09-24-2020 08:30 PM

Check out Mako they have great floats.

vic10091 09-25-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikelb (Post 2200526)
Well, they finally died. I've had these two Aimrite floats for longer than I thought because I finally realized they were not repairable. Last week, I noticed the bigger one of them was leaking so I pulled out the Aquaseal and went to work night after night trying to get it to seal. Eventually, I realized the float was basically leaking all the way around the stitching. And then I pumped up the smaller float and realized the same thing.

Can anyone recommend a replacement float that can be orally inflated/folded? I already have 3ATM Riffe and Rob Allen hard floats. Different floats for different needs, I need something sturdy taking up less room. Thanks, Mike L.

First dive buddy I started diving out with gave me about 90% of his gear to sell since he won't be doing much diving due to wife and kids (mostly his wife).

1- Sporasub float, been in the water only once.
1- Innovative scuba concepts torpedo float with flag, new and still in bag.
I can post pictures maybe later today.

diveincanada 09-25-2020 10:26 AM

I have the High Pressure Mako and the other one they call;"Professional Inflatable Spearfishing Float" This last one can be inflate orally and is great for travel, packs really small & light.
The High Pressure model(I have a 15L and a 60L) uses a "car valve" so you need a pump but when deflated, it doesn't use much more space. But the end cone is kind of rigid and of course, it's heavier than the "Professional Inflatable Spearfishing Float".
Good luck !

mikelb 09-25-2020 02:21 PM

What does the sporasub look like?

vic10091 09-26-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikelb (Post 2200544)
What does the sporasub look like?

Here is a link to float while I figure out how to upload picture.

https://www.freediveshop.com/shop/fl...oats/sporasub/

Miguel Swalikov 09-26-2020 06:48 PM

I'm getting tired of dragging my ab float around. It's not exactly swift to follow me through the water. More like a sea anchor.

I was planning on just adding straps and such to a boogieboard. Why do you like using a float like the one mentioned, Sporasub Blue Water Spearfishing Float, other than it can collapse smaller?

-M

mikelb 09-26-2020 11:55 PM

I have an ab board made from boogie board in my garage too. The collapsible float is to leave on the boat for paddy hopping or island trip. Different tools for different situations.....and it takes up less space.

spearomurray 09-30-2020 03:57 PM

Float stackup thread here: http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=196978

I have the ocean hunter, and like the high durometer of the fabric and ability to change out bladder if it goes during a trip. The ocean hunter is quite a bit lighter than the gannett 100, but performs equivalently when both buoys are past their crush depth (~100 ft). Also have a few of the small RA floats. They work great to slow down fish on the initial descent. The market has changed a bit since I bought my floats. I think now I would consider the Ulusub float. Uses similar dropstitch construction as the gannett at a substantially lower price point ($150 vs. $390). The ocean hunter can be orally inflated. I'm not aware than any of the others I mentioned can. However, you'll never get the performance at depth these floats are designed for without inflating them to their max pressure. Certainly something you can't do by mouth.

spearomurray 09-30-2020 04:05 PM

Didn't quite read your post all the way through. Now see that you mentioned that you have a riffe 3 atm and RA hard float. I would check out the Ulusub. There might be a way to orally inflate it. Alot of bang for your buck there.