View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #23
Npfreediver

Re: Any Good Lobster Holes Easy Access off Beach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinButts View Post
On a serious note, depending on moon phase, tides, water temp, and other factors (which I'm still trying to put together myself) lobster can be found as shallow as 1-2 ft or as deep as I will never be able to go.

Not to start a debate on whether lobster like kelp, but if there's kelp that means there is usually structure, which means there is also a good chance the structure holds bugs. But then again, I always see empty traps in awesome structure and in thick kelp, so who knows. Lot of spots get pretty picked through with divers, traps, hoop netters, poachers, etc

My two cents would be to pay attention to the shallows when you day dive, and make mental notes on structure. Focus on shallow areas where you can comfortably hunt at night, look for rocks / boudlers / eel grass / patches of sand divided by rocks. A lot of bug diving is about maximizing how much area you can cover in a given time. I've swam around for hours not finding anything then I'll find an area where I can't grab legals fast enough. Quite frankly, I've had my best success diving for bugs in under 30 feet, and grabbed my biggest bugs in less than 10 ft. Once you go out religiously like a lot of guys do at the beginning of the season and rinse, cycle, and repeat, you start to get a hang of things and you get tired of looking for bugs around Christmas time when you've had your fair share for the holiday dinners and all of your buddies and family have been hooked up.

Be safe, and good luck.
Amen!!!
Npfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote