View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo
Re: good shore dive in the keys? please help!

ok ok ...let me clear things up since 90% percent of the info your getting is false
the 3 miles from land thing is only from largo to long key. once you cross the long key bridge your ok. but as keysdivers said there isnt much since it is so shallow untill you get out far.
but you do have bridges and rock piles on sides of bridges.
now if the bridge has a fishing pier, meaning it has a separate walk way running parallel to the bridge to fish from, you need to be 100 yards from it. same goes for any beach, but there is no spearing too be done near any beach anyway.
so that is the official low down, and yes the old bahia honda bridge is fair game and legal, i have dove it a handfull of times but the ripping currents and lack of fish and viz has made me not care about diving it.
since i am a cool guy i will tell you about one shore spot where you can get 25 foot depths and some fish.
if your already down that way by the bahia honda bridge than your right next to a good spot. its a dug out quarry on the gulf side on west summerland key(the first key you hit after getting off of the bahia honda bridge. right after you get off the bridge headed south bound make a right into a parking lot. bam
try this spot.
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote