Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
AlexbeeintheUK

Best tool for sharpening dive knives?

So I'm thinking about buying a whetstone for sharpening my dive knives and general kitchen knives.

What's your preferred method to get a real solid edge on your blades? Right now I use a metal file and hoping I can get a better edge with the right tool. I have a 2 stage kitchen knife sharpener but my dive knives don't fit between the grooves.
I currently have 4 knives: two stainless steel, one stainless steel with Teflon coating and one chrome molybdenum made by Tramontina.

Any advice/thoughts/suggestions are greatly welcomed.

P.S - from my initial research I have found a dual sided whetstone with 400/1000 grit, would this be suitable for a first whetstone?
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Best tool for sharpening dive knives?

I use an Edge Pro. It is a little spendy, but it does a fantastic job of putting a razor edge on any knife.

http://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/...FU7ZQgodJTAA_w

A more expensive version:

http://www.knifemerchant.com/product...FUHhQgodsiwA-Q

The Gatco system works well also and is cheaper:

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/GA...Fec9QgodmAkAOA

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/GA...eners-C95.aspx
Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
North Star
Max

The problem with a hand held whet stone is keeping a constant angle between the stone and your blade. That is why I like the Edge Pro or the Gatco, they insure a constant blade to stone angle, and that is the key to getting a sharp edge.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
SEATUX

I use this system on all my dive knives and kitchen knives, it works really great!

Amazon.com: Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System: Sports & Outdoors
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
LoGiiCz

Here is a cheaper alternative to the edge pro (link below). The stones it uses are decent but I upgraded to the stones from edgepro as I wore them out. It now works exactly the same and its a cheaper alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Knife-Sh...item5d382e2dcb
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I use a double sided coarse/fine DMT whetstone when I'm not home. I like DMT stones, one of there days, I'll get a coarse and a fine bench stone.

At home, I have an old bench stone, I don't know the brand.

The big tricks for the bench stone? One, keep that constant angle they were talking about above. Two, If it's a new knife, you will probably not be sharpening it at the correct angle unless you use a guide. (For the edge that's already on there). I generally just sharpen it to the angle I prefer, but that means ALOT of coarse sharpening, as I'm filing material off the knife instead of just cleaning up the edge. If you feel like you spent alot of time sharpening the knife, and it doesn't seem that sharp, you probably are probably abrading the side of the blade and making a new blade angle. Not necessarily bad, but you'll need to keep working on it until you get a burr.

I like some of the finnish or swedish blade that are only ground on one side. It makes it very easy to sharpen. work the bevel until you have a burr, clean up the burr, strop.

For general knife sharpening, get a chefs choice electric sharpener. I have one I use to get knives back in working order quickly. The edge could use cleaning up with a fine stone afterwards, but it's not at all a bad tool.

Mike
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
AlexbeeintheUK

Thanks everyone for your help, i like the idea of the mounting frame to ensure consistent angle when sharpening. Looking in to it now!
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Joe.A
KayakFisherman

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-Wheels-Diameter-Center-Adapter/dp/B000HFQU98 http://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-Wheels-Diameter-Center-Adapter/dp/B000HFQU98

I've used stones and the Lansky system, now I use a paper wheel system on a variable speed bench grinder. Fast and easy.
Joe.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Charlestondivin

You can't beat the work sharp knife and tool sharpener, its about 80 bucks but well worth it! Fast and easy perfect edge.
http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/...sharpener.html
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Wanjiru

I've not actually got to the stage where I need to sharpen blades yet, but there's a tonne of good info here for when I do.

Bookmarked!
Wanjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Just a thought, but we ARE talking dive knives here. Everyone has their preference and general style of using a dive knife, but in the end, they are utility knives. I don't see the purpose in putting a real wicked edge on a utility knife.

There's sharp, then there's SHARP. Most of the time, sharp is good enough. You aren't going to be shaving fish at depth, or anything. The problem with SHARP is that you'll mess the edge up faster. Depending on how you ground it, it's more prone to nicks, more prone to folding over. That means more work to keep it in shape, or get it back in shape.

I used to believe in the one knife that did it all, now I believe in the tool kit. What's your dive knife for? What's your filet knife for? If you chose them for a job and then respect that job, (Don't do heavy work with your filet knife, don't try to do fine work with your utility knife), you'll be happier in general.

If safety is your worry, make sure you have serrations. According to posts I've seen in one of the Helldiver threads, a good serrated blade will even get you through some decent cable thickness, as long as it's got some tension on it. If serrations aren't good enough for you, get shears.

So what? So if you want a sharpener to throw in with your kit, just get a pull through. It'll keep the knife sharp enough for utility work, get it sharp fast, (nicks and all), Simple enough to take with you on a boat or kayak, just like a file for the spear tip and if you lose it, it's cheap enough to prevent heartache.

I would suggest getting one with a handle, not one of the little rapalla jobs that you have to pinch the side wing to use. Just makes things easier and safer if you're tired or on a moving platform.

TL, DR: If you're spending a bunch of money on a knife sharpening system, I hope it's not just to get an edge on a stainless steel knife.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Namor
Goletard

I use the cheap sharpener with the metal disks that is super agro, but puts a shaving edge on it in about 15 seconds. I dont use a expensive knife and it is a utility tool for me. This disk sharpenr also will do the trick for a 2' machete in no time at all. Its not really something Id use on my Benchmade knife

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wwwwwenoka.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	199904  
Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
Fej

Has anyone had any luck sharpening titanium dive knives? Mine hasn't dulled but I've been curious about it...
Fej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
UnderWaterLover

I'm a remodeler/contractor and use a knife daily. I use a real basic knife sharpener like the one below, and have been pleased with the results.

AccuSharp 001 Knife Sharpener - Amazon.com AccuSharp 001 Knife Sharpener - Amazon.com

The best way to keep a knife sharp is to not let it get dull, I give my kitchen knives a pass before every use. I sharpen my pocket knife every few days.

I have the Lansky system and was not pleased with it. If the angle gauge does not match your blade bevel it wont get sharpened. The Edge Pro looks adjustable and should work on all your knives. I have seen mirror sharpened knives with both of those systems.

The Work Sharp system is great and will put a nice edge on your knife but I do not know how much better it is than a pocket sized sharpener. I use a belt sander on my chisels and get great results, the Work Sharp system is the same principle.

Im lazy and the pocket version is easy, I prefer the ones with carbide sharpeners, I feel it sharpens more of the blade than stone or ceramic versions. I also use in on my machetes.
UnderWaterLover is offline   Reply With Quote