Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
catalina jay
Isthmus Shaggy Dive Club

Re: California Halibut Carcasses Wanted!!!

WOW. This lady is nuts, she thinks we are actually gonna help her . Thanks for exposing her Ralphthehalibut.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
HeadlessHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post

it appears you are on public record asking to close swamis and la jolla.. to wit:
Nice research RTH.

Double birds to you Cheryl for recommending the closure of the Swami's area. I'm not even going to rehash why such a recommendation is nonsensical, but I will say you helped kill a city's long tradition (going back to the Cardiff Dorymen) of using the local ocean as a resource.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessHunter View Post
Nice research RTH.

Double birds to you Cheryl for recommending the closure of the Swami's area. I'm not even going to rehash why such a recommendation is nonsensical, but I will say you helped kill a city's long tradition (going back to the Cardiff Dorymen) of using the local ocean as a resource.
I like how she actually tried to say it will somehow be safer for surfers without all those nasty consumptives around....

seriously? WTH? I guess when not murdering defensless fish we spend our spare time assaulting surfers

Just goes to show how incredibly ignorant of the ocean and waterman lifestyle people like her are.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
Ethan kills
OG Troll

I still dive swammis all the time. Go tell DFG. I don't care.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
HAYDUKE375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
Nice research RalphTheHalibut.

Cheryl Barnes, thank you for meddling with our sport and leisure activity/source of food for our families. If you want to "save" fish, go after the commercial guys next time - but not until some real science backs your position. Thank you for taking away our freedom to support your anti-hunting/fishing agenda.

You won't get any help here.

PS. In case I didn't mention it - You suck!

Ralpth the Halibut thanks for being so squared away! Your insight never ceases to amaze me.

~DUKE
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Is anybody a member of the california pier fishing forum, norcal kayak anglers forum or any of the other forums she has posted in? If so, could you post a warning not to help this .... person... with her history of organizing bus rides to help shut down our fishing?

Waiting for approvals to post in some, and so any help would be appreciated
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
DThunnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalHal2014 View Post
Hi All,

In 2011, the California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG) finalized a stock assessment for California Halibut. Although large amounts of information were made available during the stock assessment, data pertained primarily to halibut from southern California. Because many stocks consist of metapopulations (i.e. groups of individuals that are interconnected through larval dispersal, yet characterized by distinct biological characteristics), it is important to understand the life history traits of harvested species by both region and locality. This study will be the first to provide information regarding the reproductive capabilities of California Halibut found north of Point Conception (an area characterized by colder, more nutrient-rich waters than those found to the south).

Although CDFG has collected length and age composition data for this region, estimates of maturity and fecundity remain undetermined. The data regarding central California Halibut life history traits provided by this study are of interest, especially since the length at which 50% of the population reaches sexual maturity is used to establish minimum size limits [the current, state-wide limit of 22” for California Halibut was obtained solely from southern California estimates (Love and Brooks 1990)]. If life history traits are found to vary by region, it may be necessary for resource managers to adjust regulatory actions to balance reproduction and harvest. For example, if California Halibut are found to mature at larger sizes in central California, CDFG may need to increase the size limit north of Point Conception to prevent localized over-exploitation. Conversely, if California Halibut are found to mature at smaller sizes in central California, a recommendation would be made for CDFG to lower the local size limit to increase sustainable yield. If the data show no difference between region, we can be confident that existing management efforts are effective and no change is required.

I am not looking to prove any one of the aforementioned potential outcomes and can assure you that the data will speak for themselves. I am simply seeking the truth and attempting to characterize what is taking place in our region. Regardless of the specific results of this study, data will be provided to more fully understand this resource and hopefully maximize local abundances and harvest rates.

With reference to my methods...I am determining maturity stage macroscopically (which is fairly easy to do during the height of the breeding season - this is when all of my samples will be collected). I am fixing ovaries with 10% buffered formalin within 6-24 hours of capture and storing them in 70% ethanol until processing. I will then be sending samples out for histology to evaluate my macroscopic maturity stage assignments and ensure agreement. Ageing will be conducted using thin-sectioned otoliths (a method that has been verified for California Halibut).

I hope this explanation helps encourage participation in this project and I thank you all for your continued questions/comments.

Sincerely,
Cheryl

A couple points. You assume you know the spawning (breeding?) season and truncate your sampling accordingly? Does this not introduce a bias immediately? Not to mention determining size at first maturity, how can you so this if you are attempting to establish a maturity schedule...I am almost certain CalCoFI data has halibut larvae in November and December north of pt. Conception. Secondly, you reference a paper from 1990, could there have been an environmental change since then which influenced spawning season, size, etc...(pacific decadal oscillation)? To base your sampling on that is irresponsible.

With respect to "metapopulations" you are making assumptions about stock structure of CA Halibut that are not well understood! Do you know if they have fidelity to a geographic area? Even if it were well understood who is going to conduct a spatially stratified stock assessment, currently there are only a few people in the world qualified to do this and they do not work for CDFG! IMO, you are putting the cart before the horse here, you need to establish what stock structure there is and what mixing rates may be between the "metapopulations" which can be done through a well designed tag/release program.

RE: otoliths, verified is not VALIDATED. I am not familiar with previous aging work which has been done on halibut, but if not validated using appropriate methods, its worthless. Validation is not an easy thing which is why most people try to get around doing it properly!

I do agree that basic biological information is imperative for conducting viable stock assessments and I hope you are successful in your research. I think it is valuable and important. It just needs to be done correctly and without bias and assumptions!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #23
unkabonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DThunnus View Post
A couple points. You assume you know the spawning (breeding?) season and truncate your sampling accordingly? Does this not introduce a bias immediately? Not to mention determining size at first maturity, how can you so this if you are attempting to establish a maturity schedule...I am almost certain CalCoFI data has halibut larvae in November and December north of pt. Conception. Secondly, you reference a paper from 1990, could there have been an environmental change since then which influenced spawning season, size, etc...(pacific decadal oscillation)? To base your sampling on that is irresponsible.

With respect to "metapopulations" you are making assumptions about stock structure of CA Halibut that are not well understood! Do you know if they have fidelity to a geographic area? Even if it were well understood who is going to conduct a spatially stratified stock assessment, currently there are only a few people in the world qualified to do this and they do not work for CDFG! IMO, you are putting the cart before the horse here, you need to establish what stock structure there is and what mixing rates may be between the "metapopulations" which can be done through a well designed tag/release program.

RE: otoliths, verified is not VALIDATED. I am not familiar with previous aging work which has been done on halibut, but if not validated using appropriate methods, its worthless. Validation is not an easy thing which is why most people try to get around doing it properly!

I do agree that basic biological information is imperative for conducting viable stock assessments and I hope you are successful in your research. I think it is valuable and important. It just needs to be done correctly and without bias and assumptions!
I didn't know there were these types of biologists/scientists around anymore! You must not be one of the bribed ones. Dan
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
Calif_Diver

Posted the link to this page on NCKA! She has the same thing there.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #25
hutloc

WOW ...RTH again gets biggest catch of the year!! spread the word about this bitch so she receives nothing from anyone whos lives shes effected unnessesarily!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #26
sciencemike
MLPA ....

Nice job Dave!

It sucks when scientists who are conducting the research are biased and agenda driven.

Someone please let Richard Starr know about this, if he doesnt already. Some members on this board are his old students if I remember correctly. And they stood up for him. Or maybe he is just as pro closure, and he advises the DFG.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #27
Namor
Goletard

So busted out! I have to hand it to you Dave, good job.
Jeremy
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
zenspearo

Thread closed. I will leave it up for future reference.

People are welcome to start another thread if the topic is still of interest.

Personally for me, it'll be a cold day in hell....

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
Closed Thread