Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #16
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Re: Closed to Open Muzzle Conversion?

Jon, the 'Double Under' config in yr sketch

great in theory for breakaway rigs [no need for forward attachment point], with muzzle grooves either side of track replacing both top and bottom line guides - zero stainless up for'd

BUT what stops the shaft flapping around whilst yr taking that first wrap round the line release?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 9.55. pm.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	238871  
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
TheKeeneroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
hey Jon thanks for sharing those shooting line muzzle sketches! bloody great to see those ideas on paper, so to speak

always looking for way to avoid having line guide on top of the muzzle, whether it be pin or plate [and stainless muzzle cage a la Abellan just adds too much weight up for'd when working with dense hardwood]

moving the pin around and down onto the front of the muzzle achieves this, and works with spectra, but not with the 2mm LP hard mono, and 1.8mm coated cable I use here.

I always end up back with having the pin or plate on top. at the moment pin, cos too lazy to grind out a plate to scew in

great to see all these ideas being slung around on the Board
Line over the top (double wrapped) works great for my omer 75. Although after shooting Parvis' pathos 75 sniper, I want to upgrade!
TheKeeneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #18
TheKeeneroo

Quote:
Jon, the 'Double Under' config in yr sketch

great in theory for breakaway rigs [no need for forward attachment point], with muzzle grooves either side of track replacing both top and bottom line guides - zero stainless up for'd

BUT what stops the shaft flapping around whilst yr taking that first wrap round the line release?
Mine doesn't budge while i wrap it. the trigger mech and the barrel trough keep it in place without it falling out. might not be the same for all guns, but works great for me.
TheKeeneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 AM   #19
Mikel_24

Quote:
You can always go mag-track route. Which is as easy as installing a few neodimium magnets under the track at the muzzle. Make sure you cover them well in epoxy, otherwise they will rust in no time. Depending on the alloy of the shaft, they will hold better or worse.

I did it just for fun in a plastic picasso muzzle and works just fine.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #20
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

great suggestion mate!
have thought about it, as Alexander and others use to do - easy to encapsulate a chunk of hard drive magnet under the muzzle track, but figured that as hardly ever see em anymore, must be some issues with that approach? affecting shaft velocity or something??

Last edited by kavachi; 07-26-2018 at 02:21 AM.
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:47 AM   #21
Mikel_24

Quote:
great suggestion mate!
have thought about it, as Alexander and others use to do - easy to encapsulate a chunk of hard drive magnet under the muzzle track, but figured that as hardly ever see em anymore, must be some issues with that approach? affecting shaft velocity or something??
I don't think there are any real problems with it. But in truth, unless you are in rough seas, is no big deal to have the shaft unsuported during the two seconds you take to make the required wraps. It just adds labor and material for no real benefit.

Beuchat has a muzzle with an adjustable "clamp-o-thing" that grips the shaft in the front. It is spring loaded. It basically acomplishes the same thing.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote