Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #3556
Marlin Hunter

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Friday 8/13 dove 2 ledges W of Hurricane Pass. Dive 1: 68 foot depth, vis appx 20 ft. bottom temp 81. Dive 2: 63 foot depth, vis appx 15 ft, bottom temp 84. Both dives had some keeper grouper, hogfish and mangos. No signs of red tide or gumbo on either. Seas choppy up to 2 Ft. Earlier than usual thunderstorms from the East made for some excitement on the run in.
Marlin Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #3557
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
Friday 8/13 dove 2 ledges W of Hurricane Pass. Dive 1: 68 foot depth, vis appx 20 ft. bottom temp 81. Dive 2: 63 foot depth, vis appx 15 ft, bottom temp 84. Both dives had some keeper grouper, hogfish and mangos. No signs of red tide or gumbo on either. Seas choppy up to 2 Ft. Earlier than usual thunderstorms from the East made for some excitement on the run in.
Awesome, thanks for posting!
Old 08-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #3558
grey2112

Dove yesterday west of Anclote. Out to 65 feet. Viz was horrible - lots of whale sperm, maybe 15 hazy horizontal in 65'. No hogs of legal size, tons of mangos, no gags. Craptastic. Looking forward to Oct-Dec.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #3559
Dbrown

Out of Clearwater (Clw) pass on Friday 8/13/21. Quick stop at Clw wreck in 55'. Viz was horrible throughout the column. Five feet of viz. viz on bottom obliterated by bait and Goliaths.
Moved to 65' and dove a ledge. Viz was 15 feet. Picked up a couple of hogs and scamp and moved deeper.
Went to 95' and viz was a clear 30 feet. Picked up 2 hogs a nice snapper and that was all that was there to shoot. Lots of other small fish. Never saw a legal Gag all day. Shot 4 lionfish and left
One last drop in 105' and viz was about the same, maybe bit worse, nabbed 3 mangos and another scamp and headed in. Took a thumping on way in. Glad to be on big boat. Water temp 85
Good luck to those in SPO next weekend. I'll likely be onshore.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #3560
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Out of Clearwater (Clw) pass on Friday 8/13/21. Quick stop at Clw wreck in 55'. Viz was horrible throughout the column. Five feet of viz. viz on bottom obliterated by bait and Goliaths.
Moved to 65' and dove a ledge. Viz was 15 feet. Picked up a couple of hogs and scamp and moved deeper.
Went to 95' and viz was a clear 30 feet. Picked up 2 hogs a nice snapper and that was all that was there to shoot. Lots of other small fish. Never saw a legal Gag all day. Shot 4 lionfish and left
One last drop in 105' and viz was about the same, maybe bit worse, nabbed 3 mangos and another scamp and headed in. Took a thumping on way in. Glad to be on big boat. Water temp 85
Good luck to those in SPO next weekend. I'll likely be onshore.
Dave, I was thinking the same thing. Ugh. We got lucky heading in to dodge the nasty storms and lightning.

I think I am done for the next 2 weeks.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #3561
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Dave, I was thinking the same thing. Ugh. We got lucky heading in to dodge the nasty storms and lightning.

I think I am done for the next 2 weeks.
I wonder how the rain will affect the snot. I think the storms are good for tamping down the red tide.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:35 PM   #3562
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
I wonder how the rain will affect the snot. I think the storms are good for tamping down the red tide.
Given that the fresh water stays on top of the denser salt water, I don't think it'll have much impact on the snot. From my experience the snot is a yearly cycle of some sort of plant growth. Also, the fresh water runoff that carries a lot of nutrients is a contributor to red tide growth, IMO.
That snot really takes the wind out of your sails whether you're diving or fishing. Best to put together some much deeper trips offshore.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #3563
Dbrown

Out of Clearwater pass 9/5/2021.
Bumpy in morning. Laid down by 14:00. First dive in 65 fsw viz was 15'. Moved out to 80 fsw and viz was 30'
Are some moon jellyfish around.
Plenty of fish and bait in both areas. Good day.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #3564
Butchbal

Offshore Homosassa Sept 25, 2021

Ran due west from Homosassa. First drop in 50' vis was a hazy 10' no hogs or grouper. Decided to run out and try 60 and 70' depths. Vis improved to 25' plus but still hazy, lots of small filaments of snot in the water column. Lots of small gags but no shootable ones. Had to pass up a BIG red grouper. Ended up with 5 nice hogs between 16 and 21". Had a school of nice ARS follow me on a ledge in 70'. Maybe we'll get another mini ARS season in Oct.

Water temps on bottom 82, mild current. Bumpy on the way out, smooth on the way in.

Every dive had LOTs of medium and large mangos. didn't shoot any as I have a freezer full of them already. Could have easily filled a cooler with 3 to 5 pounders.
Butchbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #3565
Dbrown

Out of Clearwater pass 9/25/21.
Lot of jellyfish including big pinky nasty ones with long tentacles.
Did a dive in 80' first. Viz was 15-20'. Plenty of bait and fish. Gags were plentiful. Big ones skittish/smart/hard to get. then moved into mid60's depth. Temp 82. Viz was as good as 40'. Ended up with a lot of fish.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #3566
jbsrq

love the reports to live vicariously. Laid up after foot surgery almost two weeks ago. cut my foot getting in the boat and sliced a major tendon so it's going to be a long while before I can dive. Shoot em up everyone it's getting to be my favorite time of year.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #3567
mleach2114

Out of Hernando Beach 9/26/21 - Started in 30' and its pea soup, 5ft viz max. Moved out to 50' and it was hazy but shootable, 20-25 horizontal viz, lots of particulate in the column. Temp around 84. Group boated 1 gag, a few hogs, few Mangrove Snapper with one monster topping 21". Bumpy going out and most of morning, laid down for a nice ride home.

Between 30-50' saw several dead and bloated bait fish, grunts, eels, puffers and a huge gag.
mleach2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #3568
grey2112

Re: Offshore Homosassa Sept 25, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchbal View Post
Ran due west from Homosassa. First drop in 50' vis was a hazy 10' no hogs or grouper. Decided to run out and try 60 and 70' depths. Vis improved to 25' plus but still hazy, lots of small filaments of snot in the water column. Lots of small gags but no shootable ones. Had to pass up a BIG red grouper. Ended up with 5 nice hogs between 16 and 21". Had a school of nice ARS follow me on a ledge in 70'. Maybe we'll get another mini ARS season in Oct.

Water temps on bottom 82, mild current. Bumpy on the way out, smooth on the way in.

Every dive had LOTs of medium and large mangos. didn't shoot any as I have a freezer full of them already. Could have easily filled a cooler with 3 to 5 pounders.
We ran out on Sunday to spots from 35' to 55' off Hernando. Similar viz and conditions up top. Shot a 21" mango, 27" SKINNY gag, a few 15-16" hogs, and a few 13" sheepies. Still getting used to the Koah you sold me, Butch. If I had my Hammer I would have brought in more gags - I love the Koah, but I have to aim lower since it is a RIFLE that does not drop like the Hammer, so I keep missing high.

Hit me up anytime you need an extra shooter!
Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #3569
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleach2114 View Post
Out of Hernando Beach 9/26/21 - Started in 30' and its pea soup, 5ft viz max. Moved out to 50' and it was hazy but shootable, 20-25 horizontal viz, lots of particulate in the column. Temp around 84. Group boated 1 gag, a few hogs, few Mangrove Snapper with one monster topping 21". Bumpy going out and most of morning, laid down for a nice ride home.

Between 30-50' saw several dead and bloated bait fish, grunts, eels, puffers and a huge gag.
Yeah, that dead gag broke my heart, Matt. I did report it to FWC this morning.

Here's what my first drop in 35 feet looked like - uhm, no.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #3570
mleach2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Yeah, that dead gag broke my heart, Matt. I did report it to FWC this morning.

Here's what my first drop in 35 feet looked like - uhm, no.

http://youtu.be/mB2NT0Hg9Do
I filled out their online form Sunday evening and got a call yesterday afternoon for more information. they also wanted the picture. Was surprised about the quick response.
mleach2114 is offline   Reply With Quote