Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #61
a_durian

Re: Help Needed, DIY Jap Style Polespear

Hi Diving Gecko,

I was pole-spearing in Okinawa 2 months ago. Didn't have any issues at all with the locals. Maybe it's the spot you went to?

I was diving mainly on the west coast early in the morning around 7am. Managed to catch some decent sized horse eye trevally's.

Let me know next time you head to Okinawa, I can point you in the right direction

a_durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #62
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_durian View Post

Hi Diving Gecko,

I was pole-spearing in Okinawa 2 months ago. Didn't have any issues at all with the locals. Maybe it's the spot you went to?

I was diving mainly on the west coast early in the morning around 7am. Managed to catch some decent sized horse eye trevally's.

Let me know next time you head to Okinawa, I can point you in the right direction

I heard it from a few locals out on Miyako-jima though they didn't seem to be too bothered themselves... But I'll keep asking around, could be misinfo and I really hope so.
Will def let you know and connect next time I have a chance to go, thanks for that!. Did see one very nice blue-finned jack in a fun (free)dive and tons of baby groupers, so I know the fish are there. Many big parrotfish and surgeons, too.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #63
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Rest Hook Attachment Point
As mentioned I don't feel like having a loop of dyneema as the attachment point for the rest hook is the best solution. The dyneema tends to flop around when you try to hook into it and you end up needing to use your forward hand to hold it in place. Might not sound like a big deal, but it is a tad frustrating.
I think a metal loop which is fixed in place is a much better way to do it.

So, here are some pics of my attempt at making such one. Same brand as the wall hooks which I used for the rest hook, just a smaller size this time:

I used an angle grinder to cut it to length and make some undercuts in the sides, a file to shape it a bit better and finally, a dremel tool to soften the edges. Pretty straight forward:

Here is one loop fixed on the pole with super glue (I think it looks bigger than it really is):

I'm waiting for some thin dyneema to arrive in the mail. Once I have that, I'll wrap the metal loop in place and coat it with epoxy like when fishing rod builders attach eyelets.

Of course, the fancy way of doing these would be to draw them up and have them laser cut in 2mm stainless steel, but these will suffice for now.
Alternatively, if you are lucky that the grip point on the spear when loaded lines up near one of the metal connectors, then you could mill a recess into the connector and hook into that instead. I have seen that solution on a few Japanese spears online.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 08-13-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #64
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

The dyneema came in today. I ordered 0.5mm and 0.8mm and went with the latter. Made the wrap and coated with epoxy. Below is a pic during its curing.

If I ever need to do a lot of these I would def rig up a rotisserie like the ones the rod builders have. That way, you can lay on more epoxy and not have to worry about it running. Instead, I just turned it every few mins by hand for two hours while I was watching Netflix;-)

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 08-14-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #65
ReefShark
Jay

Nice work there Gecko... U sure do set the bar high with your diy projects... Kudos man...

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 01:26 AM   #66
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShark View Post
Nice work there Gecko... U sure do set the bar high with your diy projects... Kudos man...

Thanks man!
It's basically just a combination of having too much time on my hands (I am a freelancer in a market with not enough work...), having a nerdy side and luckily access to cheap parts and even cheaper favors:-)

And then, of course, being able to tap into forums like these for advice and knowledge.

I've been landlocked for months now, though. But I do think I might have Indo and Palau trips around the end of the year so hopefully the spear will see water and fish for real.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #67
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Thanks man!
It's basically just a combination of having too much time on my hands (I am a freelancer in a market with not enough work...), having a nerdy side and luckily access to cheap parts and even cheaper favors:-)
Lucky you... I remember those days not too long ago when i had all the time too tinker... Then came my son and a new job... Life... But i still get a chance now n then...
Trying to work on a proper pole myself for my night dives... Made a cheapo with a curtain rod an eye bolt, hex nuts, jb weld and an old spear shaft. Does the job for close up in the shallows but i need something proper for free swimming fish like cuda, trevally, snapper....

Quote:
And then, of course, being able to tap into forums like these for advice and knowledge.
Spearboard is a University... We have professors for every subject... Ive learned so much on here... Bunch of great guys on here too... Glad to be a part of the community...

Quote:
I've been landlocked for months now, though. But I do think I might have Indo and Palau trips around the end of the year so hopefully the spear will see water and fish for real.
Waiting to see what that thing can do...

Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #68
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
Golf club (driver) tubes will work, as well as ski poles. My first polespear was made by epoxying 3-4 golf clubs together and then epoxying a 6mm adapter to the tip. Took many fish under 10lbs with it, but ended up snapping it when I overpowered it without twisting the handle.

It was 9ft before a 12" tip, and was my go to for reef diving in 20+ft visibility.

I'm working on a series at the moment of different pole spear builds. Hopefully this helps you:

http://youtu.be/xmjuk7HlrSE
Hey Ren, is that a Wen 4210 drill press?

Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #69
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

It's been a while since I updated this thread but I did one mod/improvement to the spear for an upcoming Indo trip. Using a hand strap with a hook tends to make short work of the tape grips so I finally got around to putting a carbonium grip on it.

I am using #60 grit:

Whipped up some epoxy resin:

Put a thin layer on the spear and sprinkled the carbonium powder on:

Honestly, I am not 100% happy with it. I kinda forgot that the vendor who sold me this carbonium did a shit job at keeping the grit consistent. The problem is that it has quite a lot of finer particles in it (see the little "rivers" by the arrows):

This finer dust tends to adhere better to the epoxy taking up the space where the more gritty stuff should go. My fault for not remembering to somehow sift the carbonium before I used it.

Anyways, I think it will beat the tape grip and I should be able to recoat the grip later on.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #70
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I decided to "grit coat" the grip again after having sifted out most of the fine powder and the result was a whole lot better this time:

As mentioned, I have shortened this spear since my last trip. Each segment is now just shy of one meter. Slightly longer than my fins but as long as they can be and still fit in my fin bag:

Heading to Indonesia tomorrow, hope to get some nice fish on the polespear though my airgun is my primary weapon of choice, at least for the first week.