Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
TheKeeneroo

Thumbs up DIY DIVE FLOAT + Backpack (Pic Heavy)

I hope this becomes one of the more useful posts I've made in my short time aboard the forum! ;D

The benefits of a dive board are to hold all your stuff, bring an extra pole spear/gun, have something to clip your float line to (if/when you want to shoot a big fish), bring drinks/food, keep your car keys, phone and license dry, mount a dive flag so boaters can see you and bystanders don't think a body boarder just died, and best of all you can easily glide over the top of kelp instead of needing to kelp crawl or swim under it. Kelp crawling is exhausting and dangerous. NOTE: No matter what you bring with you, make sure it is 100% clipped into the board or in a bag that is clipped to the board. Yard sales in the ocean are no fun and very expensive.

After looking at a TON of DIY dive boards, here is how I made mine:

BODY BOARD: Cheapest plastic bottom body board you can buy (although in hind sight, the larger/more bouyant, the better). I got mine from a thrift store in good condition. Play it again sports always has great deals too. I've seen guys zip tie pool noodles to the edges of the board for added flotation which might not be a bad idea. It looks funny, but is effective if you need it.

LEASH PLUGS: I used 8, but you could get away with 6. Amazon has them for cheap. Measure your body boards thickness and make sure the plugs will fit.

U-BOLTS: Stainless steel, make sure they come with the flat plate washer and that they will fit the depth of your board without too much sticking out the top. You'll need large washers for the top of the board. They won't catch on kelp, they won't cause water resistance, they are useful to hook your kelp clip and stringer to AND it becomes a backpack - which is my favorite part of this whole set up.

BUNGEE NET: Make sure to get one with the smallest holes you can find. I found this one on amazon for $5. 15" x 15" worked perfect for my board. NOTE: If you're ab diving, you'll want to have a plug or two on the bottom so they don't crawl away from ya. Or do what I do and keep a dive bag (with metal handle) on the board too. I also used a brass clip on one corner so I can essentially unclip the net to put the cargo in, then clip it back in.

GUN CLIPS: I read all kinds of reviews about velcro, metal camping twist ties, etc, but the one I saw that works really well is the tarp tie down. I used 10" tarp stays, but 6" might work too. I tied a knot 1/2" shorter than the diameter of the ball on the end and wrap the bungee around the gun and push the ball through the small hole (so many jokes to be made). NOTE: I still clip my gun to the netting just in case a wave tumbles me on the way in/out. If the bungee came out, the gun doesn't get lost.

KELP LEASH: I have a kelp clip, but the velcro strap that came with the board works really well. so all I did was extend the leash with some 550 chord and at the point where I tied the leash to the 550 chord, i put a brass clip. This way, I can tie the 550 chord to the front, bottom ubolt, then bring it over the front and clip the leash to the original leash plug so it keeps stuff off the bottom of the board while i kick out to where I'm diving. Then, I unclip the leash (making it longer) and velcro it around a few pieces of kelp (don't just clip to one in case it breaks). The spiral in the leash acts like a bungee which means swells won't pull your board off the kelp.

BACKPACK STRAP: I wanted something that I could easily put on and take off and toss in the dive bag when I'm out on the water so it doesn't catch on kelp. I've hiked far with this thing fully loaded on my back and it works fantastic. I just used some cheap webbing and a simple clasp like what is on rubber dive belt buckles

OTTER BOX: I use this to keep my car keys phone (with waterproof case for redundancy) and license in. You can find these cheap at walmart or on amazon.

OTHER THINGS TO KEEP ON THE FLOAT:
- Dive Flag
- Marine whistle
- VHF/GPS
- Thermos
- Dive Bag
- Stringer
- Food
- ???

I'd love to know your thoughts on the board or modifications on what you did, want to do, or should do to yours! I'm all about DIY so post your DIY projects with instructions, too!

- Eric
TheKeeneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: DIY DIVE FLOAT + Backpack (Pic Heavy)

TheKeeneroo, you forgot about the main reasons to use a board instead of regular float, which is being able to get your upper body on top of it, and swim relatively long distances in comfort.

Another good reason to have a board is to avoid having your fish dragging in the water, you don't seem to have a provision for keeping fish on top of the board..

Here are a few concerns regarding your diving board:
- Low profile. Too low profile. Not visible enough. Not bright enough. You mention it but I don't see the mandatory dive flag.
- Not bouyant enough. Need more flotation.
- Not big enough, you cannot get your upper body on in for swiming long distances.

There are some inflatable boards out there, but I feel they have too much drag to be nice to carry arround. What I would do if I wanted to go the board route again, is to make a core out of styrofoam and fiberglass it. Paint it bright orange and make it BIG.

And I am telling you all this with my best intentions. Because I have done the exact same thing you have done now (including the backpack straps)... somewhere like 16 years ago. And I finally ditched the idea and stuck to a regular Cressi double bladder bright orange float with a spare gun strapped to it underneath.

Best of luck!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
TheKeeneroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
TheKeeneroo, you forgot about the main reasons to use a board instead of regular float, which is being able to get your upper body on top of it, and swim relatively long distances in comfort.

Another good reason to have a board is to avoid having your fish dragging in the water, you don't seem to have a provision for keeping fish on top of the board..

Here are a few concerns regarding your diving board:
- Low profile. Too low profile. Not visible enough. Not bright enough. You mention it but I don't see the mandatory dive flag.
- Not bouyant enough. Need more flotation.
- Not big enough, you cannot get your upper body on in for swiming long distances.

There are some inflatable boards out there, but I feel they have too much drag to be nice to carry arround. What I would do if I wanted to go the board route again, is to make a core out of styrofoam and fiberglass it. Paint it bright orange and make it BIG.

And I am telling you all this with my best intentions. Because I have done the exact same thing you have done now (including the backpack straps)... somewhere like 16 years ago. And I finally ditched the idea and stuck to a regular Cressi double bladder bright orange float with a spare gun strapped to it underneath.

Best of luck!

Mikel
Hey There Mike,

Great feedback. Thanks for your thoughts. I do have a flag mount (not shown in photos as it was on my kayak at the time. The dive bag (featured in photos) is where I put my fish when I'm ready to swim in. I'm 200lbs and while I agree that there can always be more buoyancy, this set up works well for me. I can get my upper body on the float and still easily kick over seaweed. If I'm going long distances, I'll bring my yak instead, so distance isn't an issue for me. I'd be happy to buy a nice float but at the moment, I have chosen not to work it into the budget. Instead, a nice little DIY board is adequate for me (and many others) as most of the ideas came from them. the best gear is always worth it, but much like my accumulation of spear gear, it started at piecing stuff together, and then upgrading over time.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
Mikel_24

The Keeneroo, if your board suits you, perfect. That's what really counts.

If at any time you plan on redoing your board, have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8UmPnvbc9U

This one repurposes an old surf board, but I have seen them built from scratch, usually less pointy.

Such as this other one:

http://aesneptuno.org/2015/06/15/bri...ncha-pescasub/

However this one is not fiberglassed, which is a BIG mistake. The resin is fragile if not used along textile material (fiberglass or carbon fiber), so the sligthest bump will dent it.

Key search terms for home made / DIY diving board in spanish could be the following:

"Plancha de pesca submarina casera"
"Plancha pescasub"

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Mikel_24; 06-06-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
TheKeeneroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
The Keeneroo, if your board suits you, perfect. That's what really counts.

If at any time you plan on redoing your board, have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8UmPnvbc9U

This one repurposes an old surf board, but I have seen them built from scratch, usually less pointy.

Such as this other one:

http://aesneptuno.org/2015/06/15/bri...ncha-pescasub/

However this one is not fiberglassed, which is a BIG mistake. The resin is fragile if not used along textile material (fiberglass or carbon fiber), so the sligthest bump will dent it.

Key search terms for home made / DIY diving board in spanish could be the following:

"Plancha de pesca submarina casera"
"Plancha pescasub"

I hope this helps!
Wow! That second one looks amazing minus how fragile it is. What is the purpose of the "viewing hole" in the middle? I love the idea of re-purposing a surfboard, I just need to learn how to fiberglass it after I cut it. Great ideas on both sides. Fortunately I never need to swim too far. Big Sur, CA is a beautiful place to shore dive off the cliffs so the fish are always right there right away.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:38 AM   #6
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeeneroo View Post
...What is the purpose of the "viewing hole" in the middle?
If waters are clear enough, you can have a view of the rocks and fish underneath while you move between locations on tope of the board.

It works exactly like those glass bottom ships for turist... Same principle.

Best regards,

Mikel
Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Mendicant

Handy thread.
Mendicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 AM   #8
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendicant View Post
Handy thread.
For me, anything that includes DIY, home made, home brew, etc... is gold. Nothing like seeing people building stuff on their own. Plenty of ideas to use, plenty of processes to learn!

And if they are well written and with good pictures, even if the final product is not top-of-the-line, they are always interesting to read.

Mikel