Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Buddy Networking -- Let's Go Hunting! > Buddy Networking - California

Buddy Networking - California Looking to hook-up with some fellow Californians? Try here.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
spear2

LA to Baja, this week!

Hi spearos, I had a trip planned to Bahia De Los Angeles last week. Buddy had to cancel on me. No one else to go with so want to go this week. Want to leave 8/19 late afternoon and come back Monday night 8/23.

I go down to Bahia once a year, I actually already went July 4th weekend and always have ALOT of fun. I know the roads well been going since 2001. Never had a problem. My friends live in both San Quintin and Bahia, if there was any problems they would tell me about it. I could go drive myself as I know the roads like the back of my hand, but wife wouldn't want me to (drive is 10hrs total).

I know this is last minute but it's so awesome to dive down there! The dorado are biting alot right now and even marlin. My buddy caught (with pole) 16 dorado and a marlin in the same day last week! Message me if you are available.
spear2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
spear2

Re: LA to Baja, this week!

Forgot to mention. Cost is gas to go down and boat, we split everything. My friend lives in Bahia de Los Angeles so we don't need to pay for lodging there. Throw the mattresses on his porch to sleep. Been doing this every year for the past 10 years now.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
spear2

If you need me to push this out a day or 2 I'm all for it.

Info on me: I grew up in Hawaii, came up to LA for college. Stayed after graduating. Married a Salvadorian girl (yep all these years still don't speak Spanish haha). 5 kids, my 2 boys are older and they love to go with me but 1 working and other is going grad school. 3 younger ones so I need to be around for them, don't take unnecessary risks. Baja is safe and fun. If you haven't been there to dive and relax you don't know what you're missing! If I didn't have so many kids I would go more often. If I didn't have family & friends in Hawaii I rather go down to Bahia to dive.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
swanny

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th.../#post-5437984
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
spear2

Swanny, thanks for the info. That is another way to get to Bahia from the San Felipe road. The good thing is that there are 2 check points on the other road, 1 right outside Ensenada on the way to San Quintin. 1 more outside San Quintin on HWY 1 below Rosario. check points are good in Baja, they are military checkpoints not Police. They are looking for drugs and weapons, keeps the road more clear of bad stuff.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #6
spear2

Made it down with a buddy last night. Dove off boat today, water was clearer than last month. Shot 7 cabrillas. Tomorrow we will go further out and try for dorado.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
nilsonov

throw up some pics
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:30 PM   #8
spear2

Made a video of the trip. Ended up getting a buddy to get out of town and relax. His wife passed away last year in October from cancer.

https://youtu.be/w6DP1-xeHXQ
Old 08-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #9
M4LFUNCT10N
Logan

Just getting back into spearfishing after around 10 years out of the water...

How is Bahia de Los Angeles in December? I might be driving down with family to camp/fish, worth taking spear-gear?
M4LFUNCT10N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #10
spear2

Yes. I am supposed to go down in December for the past 3 years. Never made it because of family events. My buddy said the water is a little colder but that brings out more cabrilla and gulf groupers. I would DEFINITELY take the speargear down! Go to Ricardo's Dive Tours. Ricardo and his captains know alot of good dive spots in Bahia. Talk to my buddy Clint at the local hardware store also (there are only 2 hardware stores in Bahia).

Let me know if you go. I can tell Clint to be on the lookout for you and ask him about the weather, etc..
Old 08-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #11
Dbrown

Nice video! Looks like a great time.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #12
spear2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Nice video! Looks like a great time.