Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #1
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Trigger-guard mounted reels

This trend towards mounting reel on triggerguard, is it just to make space for roller/pulley/anchor gear under the barrel, or are there other reasons?

I like the way it brings the bulk and mass back a bit closer to hand-trigger axis, smaller Fire/Falco/MVD reel looks pretty compact tucked in there, and seems that position'd actually make it easier to palm the spool. any downsides? aside from retraining the brain?

Seeing it incorporated in pipegun handle design, MVD and more recently in the very well thought out Ermes handle, seems the beefed-up triggerguard should stiffen up the front of the handle too, where many pipeguns flex madly when powered up.

Any feedback out there on how this config is to dive with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVD-REEL-TRIGGER-MOUNT.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	248287  
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Trigger-guard mounted reels

Reels mounted on trigger finger guards are not new and have appeared on pneumatic guns a long time ago, for example the South American Cobra Sub and Mako Sub classic layout pneumatic guns. The trend is more common now the trigger mechanisms have thinned out on band guns using the reverse layout. That meant that trigger finger guards had to be fattened up to restore strength to the gun stock and stop the back end cantilevering. Previously trigger finger guards may have been a curved metal strip or plastic part of the grip moulding. Now there was something solid to attach the reel to. Besides the points you mentioned above an advantage of reels located further back is the winding arms are just that bit further back and away from departing line loops which may snag. Contrast this with early spearguns mounting their reels at mid-barrel, however there they were often on a vertical arm depending from the underside of the stock just like a rod based fishing reel. Often that was what they were and just adapted for use on a speargun.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #3
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
This trend towards mounting reel on triggerguard, is it just to make space for roller/pulley/anchor gear under the barrel, or are there other reasons?

I like the way it brings the bulk and mass back a bit closer to hand-trigger axis, smaller Fire/Falco/MVD reel looks pretty compact tucked in there, and seems that position'd actually make it easier to palm the spool. any downsides? aside from retraining the brain?

Seeing it incorporated in pipegun handle design, MVD and more recently in the very well thought out Ermes handle, seems the beefed-up triggerguard should stiffen up the front of the handle too, where many pipeguns flex madly when powered up.

Any feedback out there on how this config is to dive with?
I dive with this configuration and have been for the past few years. Handling and shooting wise, it doesn't feel any different than a reel mounted on the barrel portion. Since I shoot the MVD handle setup, it mainly allows the underside roller bands to have a bit more stretch. I also like MVD's vertical reel with its free spool setup. No issues or downsides from me.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:20 PM   #4
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I dive with this configuration and have been for the past few years. Handling and shooting wise, it doesn't feel any different than a reel mounted on the barrel portion. Since I shoot the MVD handle setup, it mainly allows the underside roller bands to have a bit more stretch. I also like MVD's vertical reel with its free spool setup. No issues or downsides from me.
thanks for the feedback
what size reel MVD reel you got on there?
do you find yrself using that drag at all for initial tension to stop uku and big kala wrapping up in the coral, or just palming the spool from the get go?
Old 08-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #5
Sebastian2

I added a couple of reels to the trigger guard on the new Ermes Avatar handle. It does add a bit to the bulk of the handle since it is not as tucked in as when mounted on the pipe. But one major benefit is that you can bolt the reel through the trigger guard, which is much more solid than screwing it into the plastic of the pipe insert (I've had those screws develop some play before and even come loose).
Sebastian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:05 AM   #6
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian2 View Post
I added a couple of reels to the trigger guard on the new Ermes Avatar handle. It does add a bit to the bulk of the handle since it is not as tucked in as when mounted on the pipe. But one major benefit is that you can bolt the reel through the trigger guard, which is much more solid than screwing it into the plastic of the pipe insert (I've had those screws develop some play before and even come loose).
thanks for the info!
Old 08-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #7
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
thanks for the feedback
what size reel MVD reel you got on there?
do you find yrself using that drag at all for initial tension to stop uku and big kala wrapping up in the coral, or just palming the spool from the get go?
Sorry for catching this late. I have the Large size of the MVD reel. Since it's free spool, once there's a tug, it's free spooling, which I like. If anything, I'll palm the reel or just grab the line and pull if I'm trying to avoid the fish getting tangled in the coral. Uku definitely rips line out and the free spool is helpful in allowing me to get back to the surface without much resistance.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
Sorry for catching this late. I have the Large size of the MVD reel. Since it's free spool, once there's a tug, it's free spooling, which I like. If anything, I'll palm the reel or just grab the line and pull if I'm trying to avoid the fish getting tangled in the coral. Uku definitely rips line out and the free spool is helpful in allowing me to get back to the surface without much resistance.
thanks Musubi