Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
charnut963

Puerto escondido/oaxaca intel

I'll be in Puerto Escondido for a buddies wedding in Feb 2022 and am looking for any diving intel - doesn't look to be much of a thing there from a guide/charter standpoint, but some good looking shore structure viewable from Google satellite and some rod reel charter guys have said grouper etc is possible from shore.

Please shout or forward if you/anyone you know has experience in this area. Thanks all.
charnut963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Timinator

Re: Puerto escondido/oaxaca intel

Just sold our beach house there last month. Bought the place as a spot to spearfish out of, but there isn't very good spearfishing there. The local fishermen go out every day and every night and pound the reefs and they have been for 100 years. It's all but barren. Go deep sea fishing on one of the boats either off shore for Marlin and Sail Fish, or up and along the coast for Mahi. Use Omar's Sportfishing, you can look him up online. I can hook you up spearfishing with a local kid if you're dead set on it, but I didn't shoot much of anything there in 5 years and was there for months at a time. There are a few places with fish, but water quality and WAVES are a problem much of the time. Just charter a boat and go deep sea fishing, it's some of the best you'll ever do. Leave your spear stuff at home.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:43 PM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
Just sold our beach house there last month. Bought the place as a spot to spearfish out of, but there isn't very good spearfishing there. The local fishermen go out every day and every night and pound the reefs and they have been for 100 years. It's all but barren. Go deep sea fishing on one of the boats either off shore for Marlin and Sail Fish, or up and along the coast for Mahi. Use Omar's Sportfishing, you can look him up online. I can hook you up spearfishing with a local kid if you're dead set on it, but I didn't shoot much of anything there in 5 years and was there for months at a time. There are a few places with fish, but water quality and WAVES are a problem much of the time. Just charter a boat and go deep sea fishing, it's some of the best you'll ever do. Leave your spear stuff at home.
Ouch...sounds like you didnt check it out very well before you bought it.

Maybe you should have gone with the house in Baja;

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=199349
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Ouch...sounds like you didnt check it out very well before you bought it.

Maybe you should have gone with the house in Baja;

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=199349
I brought my stuff there for 2 years prior to buying but never got out once because of relying on other people, waves, weights, etc. They had a World Championship there once so I figured, crap how bad can it be? It's southern Mexico, everywhere else has always been great..... big mistake.

Lot's to do in Puerto though, and it does have world class deep sea fishing. I caught 3 sailfish and two marlin the first time I ever went out rod fishing. My buddy caught 2 sailfish and 1 marlin that same trip. That was by 8:30am in the morning! Monster surfing and belly boarding there too.

I leave for Baja on the 17th to look at properties. Yes, I should have probably bought there, but I also looked at, and spearfished in several places in Costa Rica too. That place has a lot of fish, but a whack-job government, so they can keep em. When I lived in San Diego we camped and dove up and down baja all through the 80's and 90's. It will be Baja this time.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #5
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo

Baja or bust!
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote