Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
doyenofcastle

Remove AR grip

Anyone have previous experience removing this grip without any damaged to grip or the AR frame? AR frame should replace regular machine screws with allen type screw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200628_183004.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	245694  
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
AEgir

Re: Remove AR grip

Most of the better quality AR frames do use allen key style screws.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
SEATUX

Mine are Allen Head Screws also....maybe you have a China Knock Off?
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Mine are Allen Head Screws also....maybe you have a China Knock Off?
True but i just received new grip from famous brand in USA and have same screw
Old 06-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Behslayer

Most Shooting Companies use an Allen Head for their Screw. BUT. A 1/4" Machine screw Thread is a 1/4" Machine screw Thread.. You can use a Pan, Slot, Hex, Phillips, Machine Screw with a 1/4" Thread. Not sure what you have laying around on the boat, etc more frequently, a specific Allen Key (Which has to be Extra Long to reach inside an aR Grip or a Phillips Screwdriver?

Most Shooting Companies use a Carbon Steel Allen Head 1/4 Machine Screw for their AR-15 Grips.. Ofcourse that is going to Rust like Nobody's business after a while in a Speargun.. So, a lot of Speargun Makers, myself included will use a Phillips Head Stainless Machine Screw so it's easiest for their customers.

The problem I see with your Grip, (I've never seen that AR Inner System before? Looks more like a AK system to me?) is that I don't see a Lock Washer in there? This leads me to wonder whether the user used a Loctite or other Glue to fasten the Screw? If so it becomes more problematic. You may need to remove the Handle frame and use a soldering iron to heat up the screw to release the glue. Regarding Removing the Screw. Look up on Youtube "Removing a Stripped screw" and you'll see a bunch of techniques. They make a Tool for it too.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
...... Regarding Removing the Screw. Look up on Youtube "Removing a Stripped screw" and you'll see a bunch of techniques. They make a Tool for it too.
Is that tool called a left hand drill bit?
If not..Please give more info, I'm all ears.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
popgun pete

Looks like the Phillips head has cammed out which happens when you use the wrong size bit. If the screws are epoxied in you have big problems. Drilling screws out that are in wood is a recipe for the drill bit wandering and taking out the wood. Why do you want to take the handle off?

Heat is worth a try, but the alloy grip will suck heat away, however heat softens epoxy. To get tight screws out I find you need a range of bit sizes, a good investment is one of those hundred driver bit sets with every size graduation where the tips interchange in a common handle and have an extension piece to access deep holes. Buy one with decent tips that are hard.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:10 AM   #8
doyenofcastle

I bought a new lock grip and want to try it that's why I need to take off the old grip ,I have bought that old grip for trial , it have some absorption for recoil as per the sketch here ,however I have did one mistake I was trying the gun and just fix the CS screw without washer and didn't remove the screw after I came out from the sea left in my room for almost a year,that time I didn't use epoxy or glue ,I am aware of galvanic corrosion (bi-metallic corrosion)but that day the little information was ignored ,the internal thread was coarse type that time I couldn't find any coarse thread screw,only available the fine type screw which is not engaging ,may be the perfect fit will be marine Aluminum screw to match the AR frame material if aluminum strength is high,

I will check on youtube as per your good advice ,

https://www.cbcindustries.com/products/ar-pistol-grip/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images (2).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	245695  
Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 AM   #9
popgun pete

I have had spearguns with original fitment aluminium screws in the aluminium castings. After a long period they freeze up even though it is alloy in alloy. Undoing them they usually shear off because they are weak, so I don’t recommend using alloy screws unless you grease the threads when you do them up. Even then they can corrode as the alloys are not exactly the same.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:06 AM   #10
Behslayer

No need use Aluminum Screw. You want to use Stainless. If the thread is a match there wont be water intrusion anyways. We've used a few different things, Lanocote Corrosion Inhibitor is specifically made for this.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #11
musubi

Try viewing this guy's videos on extractor bits and which one is best (as can be):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTn6wI4g6s&t=577s

My AR grip on one of my guns was installed with a phillips machined screw like that.

Hope you can remove it.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Quote:
Is that tool called a left hand drill bit?
If not..Please give more info, I'm all ears.
Don't know if you are serious, but they are called EZ Out, or Screw Extractors. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. all sell them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Sp...SE51/205469301

The problem is going to be as previously stated, finding small drill bits and EZ Outs long enough to fit down into the handle. You might end up cutting the handle off proud of the screw so you can reach the screw head with shorter drill bit & EZ Out.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Don't know if you are serious, but they are called EZ Out, or Screw Extractors. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. all sell them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Sp...SE51/205469301

The problem is going to be as previously stated, finding small drill bits and EZ Outs long enough to fit down into the handle. You might end up cutting the handle off proud of the screw so you can reach the screw head with shorter drill bit & EZ Out.
Yea, those SUCK! That's why I mentioned left hand drill bits...they ACTUALLY" WORK!
Old 06-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Quote:
Yea, those SUCK! That's why I mentioned left hand drill bits...they ACTUALLY" WORK!
I learned something new today - never heard of left hand drill bits before. How do they extract screws? It seems like a drill bit would drill a hole, not extract a screw, but I guess they do.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #15
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I learned something new today - never heard of left hand drill bits before. How do they extract screws? It seems like a drill bit would drill a hole, not extract a screw, but I guess they do.
"easy outs" are a TERRIBLE type of left had drill bit. You have to drill out the center of the bolt and insert the "easy out" and turn it counter clockwise and Sometimes it actually catches and removes the stud...SOMETIMES!
With A left had drill bit...start small, down the center of the bolt, then increase the size..eventually you will have drilled out enough of the bolt that it wont have much pressure on the outside threads, eventually the left had drill bit will bind on the case of the borken/stuck bolt and it will all turn out with the bit...EASY PEASY!
Try it, you'll like it!