Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #166
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

The Infinite Engines Dreamair moves from dream to reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
There is now a version of the "Dreamloader" which gives a 3:1 mechanical advantage by adding another set of pulleys on each side of the loader cables. The original "Dreamloader" with the pulleys in the wishbone hooks gives a 2:1 advantage. The loading handles need to pull three times the wishbone draw distance instead of twice the distance if you use the extra pulley sets.

I actually had the parts for a 3:1 version of my PulleyLoader for my airgun but turned out 2:1 was enough for my use. But 3:1 would possibly give me a bit more control of the shaft during loading so I may still make it some day to test that out.

I’ve said this a ton of times, I have so much respect for Andreas’ tenacity and don’t want to sound like a downer but I just have a bit of a hard time to see the positives in the DreamAir needing a loader and now, an even more powerful one at that. If I was really skeptical, I’d have to say it could point to the gun not being as powerful as he expected. But at least, it should show that the internals are well designed and built if he can power it up the much and the parts can take the beating.
Also, I made one for my own airgun and while it’s an extra bit of kit that takes time rigging and storing, it’s not that big a deal on a big gun. Still a bit slower than a three banded classic gun but if you are already missing out on super fast reloading, I don’t think it matters if you’re 30-60 secs slower.

I would really like to see a proper Majd-style pool test to see how the gun shoots with and without the loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #167
popgun pete

Re: The Infinite Engines Dreamair moves from dream to reality

Some recent photos showing gun accessories and the mounting position for a reel.

popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #168
popgun pete

Pumping table for this 100 cm model. Note the long barrel tube on the hand pump.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #169
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
I actually had the parts for a 3:1 version of my PulleyLoader for my airgun but turned out 2:1 was enough for my use. But 3:1 would possibly give me a bit more control of the shaft during loading so I may still make it some day to test that out.

I’ve said this a ton of times, I have so much respect for Andreas’ tenacity and don’t want to sound like a downer but I just have a bit of a hard time to see the positives in the DreamAir needing a loader and now, an even more powerful one at that. If I was really skeptical, I’d have to say it could point to the gun not being as powerful as he expected. But at least, it should show that the internals are well designed and built if he can power it up the much and the parts can take the beating.
Also, I made one for my own airgun and while it’s an extra bit of kit that takes time rigging and storing, it’s not that big a deal on a big gun. Still a bit slower than a three banded classic gun but if you are already missing out on super fast reloading, I don’t think it matters if you’re 30-60 secs slower.

I would really like to see a proper Majd-style pool test to see how the gun shoots with and without the loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe Majd would like to buy one, the guns are not that expensive when compared to other all carbon fiber guns and he certainly has the means to test it and compare the results with those of other guns. I am more interested in the alloy bodied gun because that gun piqued my interest in the first place.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #170
popgun pete

The basic advantage of this speargun design is that it combines the much more efficient energy storage of a pneumatic system with the ability to load the gun with both hands. On a normal pneumatic gun you need one hand to stabilize the muzzle while you pull on the loading handle and if needed can only employ the other hand once the spear is nearly fully inserted and the gun is no longer in danger of pivoting off your foot where the rear handle is pressing.

The big diameter piston of 500 mm squared cross-section means that internal start pressure can be relatively low while providing a high level of force for spear propulsion. As water never gets inside the gun the piston has pressure on one side and a near vacuum on the other in what is a sealed system, so it is completely unaffected by ambient pressure at depth.

Rather than the piston pushing the spear it pulls it via a cable drive using an axle in the muzzle. The only other pneumatic guns with rearward travelling pistons as they shoot are the hydropneumatic guns, but facing water braking inside the gun they require very high start pressures or multiple loading strokes to drive shooting pressure up. This makes for a lowered operating efficiency compared with standard pneumatic guns, while the Dreamair's high efficiency will only be offset by friction of the piston seals and the need to wrap and unwrap the cables and spin the pulley/drum axle. A big loading effort can be used as the spear is no longer transmitting the force to the piston during loading as like band guns loading and gun cocking are two separate tasks.

Pneumatic guns combine loading and cocking which is very efficient while the gun body and spear are short, but drops away if cocking requires several pushes to complete the charging of the gun for shooting when the gun is much longer.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #171
popgun pete

To obtain a piston cross-sectional area of 500 square mm the diameter of the piston has to be slightly over 25 mm, therefore it is about double the size used in most pneumatic guns of a conventional layout. An even larger piston of double the area was used in the oval bore alloy guns which were essentially monotubes.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:56 AM   #172
Mikel_24

Thanks for the insight Pete. Truly an amazing piece of engineering. However it doesn't suit my style of fishing at all... Sometimes even double banded guns are overkill for me.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #173
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Thanks for the insight Pete. Truly an amazing piece of engineering. However it doesn't suit my style of fishing at all... Sometimes even double banded guns are overkill for me.

Mikel
You just adjust the air pressure in the gun to make it as powerful as you need. Basically it is a single band gun, but changing the pressure is the equivalent of swapping that single band for a thicker one or a thinner one. If there is a downside that single band loading could be the equivalent of pulling four bands back as one unit with their wishbones all interlinked to form one loop, hence the need for the Dreamloader supplied with each gun.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #174
Marco

This thing is amazing. The loading system takes me back a little...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:24 PM   #175
popgun pete

There is now a lifetime Warranty on all Dreamair Components with a 5 Year Warranty on the Dreamair Carbon Fiber Body.
This assumes a service of the gun once a year.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:43 PM   #176
popgun pete

Recent photo showing accurate shooting on small fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accurate shooting.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	249261  
Old 08-09-2023, 06:35 PM   #177
popgun pete

Interestingly I just had a query from someone here about an easier to load gun for his female partner. I suggested a "Dreamair" as it can be loaded with two hands and has the efficiency of a pneumatic and the power can be finely adjusted by changing the pressure. Ideal for someone who has trouble loading a band gun where bands are only available in set sizes. This is what I said.

"Pneumatic guns if pumped up to give performance are not necessarily easy to load. Basically you are doing with one hand what you normally do with two hands on a band gun. However because a pneumatic is more efficient the effort can be lower than on a band gun to achieve the same result.

Whatever system they use in the detail they all work the same way, the loading can be staged, but you have to do it in one go. On multi-band guns you can split the effort, so maybe a gun with many thinner bands might do the trick? Anyway the main pneumatic guns are Mares, Salvimar, Cressi Sub and Seac Sub. Replacement shafts are easier to find for the first two, in fact they use the same shaft tail. A generalist gun size is 85 cm or 90 cm, after that they are harder to load. Smaller guns are easy to load, but don’t shoot as far. The 70 cm can be difficult because it is between sizes in terms of most people’s limb lengths. Generally a pneumatic will shoot two line wraps, they will struggle to do three".

Followed by:

"Well there is a pneumatic gun that you can load with two hands and that is the "Dreamair" speargun. It looks like an Arbalete but is actually pneumatic powered. You can adjust the air pressure in the gun to get the loading effort right. They are made by a Greek guy and have been sold for a couple of years now. They only come in one length and that is 100 cm which is about right. It is not a supergun, just another way of doing it. Water never gets into the inner works as it uses a sealed axle behind the muzzle drums, they are not pulleys".
Old 08-14-2023, 05:59 PM   #178
popgun pete

"Some information supplied by the "Infinitengines" Company concerning the current gun's physical dimensions.

The size of the "Dreamair" speargun is 110 cm (130 cm overall length). The dimensions of the oval barrel tube are 55 mm x 38 mm. (Note that a "standard" pneumatic gun, e.g. Mares "Sten", has a 40 mm OD tank tube with a 38 mm ID.) The weight of the gun without the spear is 1800 g and the gun can shoot spears from 6.5 mm to 8 mm in diameter with 150 cm length; spear shafts of a diameter larger than 8 mm can be used if a flotation element is added to the gun. The "Dreamair" speargun can be manufactured in various barrel lengths."

The above quote was from 2016 for the aluminium body tube gun. The current all carbon fibre body gun weighs about 2.1 kg and is a 100 cm model weighed without the spear; both carbon fibre versions of the gun weigh about the same. Compare this with a C4 Urukay 120 cm at 2.57 kg with no spear and no bands, although it has a reel as standard. More mass in a gun results in less recoil, however you have to carry it before entering the dive location, hopefully it is only a short distance to the boat. Shore diving can mean trudging along a beach heading for the rocks, so you need to take into account the weight of the weapons that you will be carrying.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:47 AM   #179
popgun pete

Another good catch with aluminium inner barrel 100 cm model of the gun.