Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
popgun pete

Re: New Pelengas Carbon Tank multi form pneumatic gun

The Pelengas Carbon uses a different type of vacuum cuff with a bell type mouth on the end of the rubber nozzle. The latest guns from the company all have a different plastic fitting that screws on the muzzle that is longer than the previous version to take this new vacuum cuff design.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #17
AEgir

This gun has been on my mind for a while now... but I've never owned a pneumatic and it's been an eon since I've even fired one. I'm really woefully ignorant about them. Looking for some input from Pete, Gecko or other airgun guys if you can help.

This gun will pressurize to over 40 bar (40 ATM = 40.5 bar?) and it floats with a 7mm shaft in it. Seems like a perfect candidate for something like 8.5mm shafts.

So what would it take to make this happen? Just a new cuff? Is that something that can be bought or would you need to have one made?
After a quick search, it looks like you're talking about custom shafts at this diameter? Anyone have a good source for them? (I'm in USA)

Is there anything else I'm missing here? I'm not opposed to a loading device (like Gecko uses) to cock the thing at high pressure. Which leads me to one more question: Any idea how much pressure it would take to maximize a shaft of 8.5mm. 35ish bar?
Old 11-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
Marco

I don't think this gun will take a 8.5 mm shaft.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #19
popgun pete

Pelengas use 12 mm diameter inner barrels in all of their guns and the Carbon gun's rear handle is used in other models, so that for the moment is what they have to use. They need to maintain some clearance in the barrel and usually 8 mm spears are used in 13 mm diameter inner barrels. That is 2.5 mm on each side of the shaft. Pelengas are using 7.5 mm as an option for a larger diameter shaft which takes the clearance down to 2.25 mm on each side.

As I mentioned earlier my choice would be the 7.5 mm option as hitting power is improved down range. I have been thinking of buying one, but I have also been thinking of buying a "Dreamair". If I buy both I will be in trouble!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #20
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEgir View Post
This gun has been on my mind for a while now... but I've never owned a pneumatic and it's been an eon since I've even fired one. I'm really woefully ignorant about them. Looking for some input from Pete, Gecko or other airgun guys if you can help.

This gun will pressurize to over 40 bar (40 ATM = 40.5 bar?) and it floats with a 7mm shaft in it. Seems like a perfect candidate for something like 8.5mm shafts.

So what would it take to make this happen? Just a new cuff? Is that something that can be bought or would you need to have one made?
After a quick search, it looks like you're talking about custom shafts at this diameter? Anyone have a good source for them? (I'm in USA)

Is there anything else I'm missing here? I'm not opposed to a loading device (like Gecko uses) to cock the thing at high pressure. Which leads me to one more question: Any idea how much pressure it would take to maximize a shaft of 8.5mm. 35ish bar?
You put in as much pressure as you can load against and without blowing the gun to pieces, you can always let some air out. The hand pump gets hard to push at 40 bar, so it is a natural limit, plus the pump gets hot unless you do it in stages. Fortunately this chore has to be done only after you service your gun, usually every two years, for more intensive use every year.

Muzzle loading at 40 bar takes a big push, I had to use my body weight and a two handed loader to do it. Such loading will soon wear you out, but the shaft exits the gun like a beam of light. That gun had a 13 mm diameter inner barrel, a Mares "Sten" with metal piston and shock absorber. I also used my "Seabear" at 40 bar, but that gun weighs a ton and diving with it wore me out.

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #21
popgun pete

Here is a photo of the "Seabear" MAK 103, once touted as the most powerful speargun in the world (a lie) and to put it in perspective Nemrod's Mariner III, a gun that I have found very difficult to load and which dwarfs the "Seabear" with its giant 50 mm diameter rear tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seabear MAK 103 & Nemrod Mariner III R.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	244509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seabear MAK 103 & Nemrod Mariner III 2R.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	244510  

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-21-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added a second photo
Old 11-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #22
popgun pete

Here is a photo comparing the two 7 mm vacuum cuffs up close. The new version is on the right.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:23 AM   #23
popgun pete

A new titanium line slide or slider for 8 mm diameter shafts.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #24
Marco

Those sliders are great.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #25
popgun pete

Titanium 8 mm slider: length 17.67 mm, OD 10 mm, ID 9.16 mm, rear step 9.60 mm, bore 8.10 mm

Titanium 7 mm slider: length 18.05 mm, OD 10 mm, ID 8.10 mm, rear step 10.30 mm, bore 7.10 mm
Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #26
popgun pete

A victim of the Pelengas Max. (from the official Pelengas Facebook page)

The hand loader is the silver object strapped onto the orange and black grip handle.

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-18-2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: extra comment
Old 06-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #27
popgun pete

Now we know how big this gun is.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #28
popgun pete

The 120 cm gun has now been joined by a 140 cm version seen here.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PNEUMATI...0/133479636530

140 cm Magnum, 120 cm Carbon Max and new 140 cm Corsika.

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-31-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added eBay reference