Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
sr503

Re: Baja boat questions

If you are staying North of Punta Final on the SOC side, cross at Calexico at the gate outside of town. Anywhere else in Baja cross at San Ysidro, Tecate, or Otay Mesa, doesn't really matter they all eventually lead to the same place with similar quality roads. Get an EPIRB or PLB (this is a must!) and make sure you have things like a first aid/trauma kit, water/food, tool kit, and battery jumper box on the boat. A lot of the places down there are very remote and you probably won't see a hospital or any kind of medical treatment for at least a few hours. Of course it goes without saying but have at least 1 full size spare for the tow vehicle and I prefer 2 spares for the trailer. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I hope this doesn't scare you away from towing your boat down there, just makes you prepared. Have a great trip if you end up going! Oh and make sure you get insurance for your truck and whatever you are towing, bajabound is a good place for this.

Scott
sr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
piztolero

Don't waste your time and effort, and $, get a charter boat so cheap to get them in baja.
piztolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #18
BajaMike

I just drove 5 on march 2nd. I have a Dodge Dakota and I did not think it was that bad. I will be taking my 21 foot boat that way in October. But I could be a different bread....

Last edited by BajaMike; 03-14-2017 at 08:34 PM.
BajaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
alldayreese

Quote:
Originally Posted by surforfish View Post
Whats your definition of "decent"

Haha, good point. Shit, can a honda fit, chevy spark make it?

Lol
alldayreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piztolero View Post
Don't waste your time and effort, and $, get a charter boat so cheap to get them in baja.
Chartering a panga in BOLA is not cheap, going rate is around $350 per day and like the others said, they like to be back by 2pm...

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #21
peripatetic

You are supposed to ask permission to launch your boat from the local port captain. I';s a simple formality, but is advised. You can find a printable request form online, perhaps at Vagabundos del Mar's website. You are supposed top have a permit to use your VHF radio. I don't know if this is enforced, but it is the law.

I don't agree with statements above to leave your boat behind and hire a panga. Panga skippers often have their own agenda and the really good ones are expensive. Having your own boat gives you much more flexibility, although each area has a learning curve. I have hired local captains to run my boat in the past to shorten the learning process.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #22
Mr Main22
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Chartering a panga in BOLA is not cheap, going rate is around $350 per day and like the others said, they like to be back by 2pm...
Exactly what I have in mind..I can have a whole 3 day trip with my own boat and one friend for $350. The more people I bring the cheaper it gets.
Mr Main22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #23
Mr Main22
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
You are supposed to ask permission to launch your boat from the local port captain. I';s a simple formality, but is advised. You can find a printable request form online, perhaps at Vagabundos del Mar's website. You are supposed top have a permit to use your VHF radio. I don't know if this is enforced, but it is the law.

I don't agree with statements above to leave your boat behind and hire a panga. Panga skippers often have their own agenda and the really good ones are expensive. Having your own boat gives you much more flexibility, although each area has a learning curve. I have hired local captains to run my boat in the past to shorten the learning process.
Problem being and a little research I need to have a FCC issued MMSI number but that alone for "10 years" costs $240~ let alone I have already programmed my Mmsi number to my current vhf radio, meaning I'll have to uninstall it and take it to a shop $$ to reconfigure it

As far as safety I already have gone as far as buying a EPIRB, it's one of the first things I bought as a boat owner. I won't go out without it.
Mr Main22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #24
peripatetic

I have never been checked for a radio license. In fact the only time I have ever been checked for anything was when guiding on a long range boat, and that was just my passport and FM-3
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote