Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
33fish33

Re: get ready..

The truth is that you, waterman, have popularized spearing at "your spot" more than anyone else on this board. Just sayin...
33fish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
LeMonstier

I've been watching this forum long enough to realize the general good is to help to educate new speros understand the importance of being safe and following the rules. As far as spots being blown out, I don't see what difference it's really doing. I learned of about 70% of the good dive spots in New Jersey on my own over the course of one Summer without any internet about 12 years ago. The good spots are hard to get to without a boat and the easy spots are over run with fishermen. In general, people show the fish they get and usually state the general area. Big deal. If you want to brag, whatever.

I have no problem telling people where I hunt.

Take the Garden State Parkway to Exit 1, make a left, go through 18 traffic lights, make another right, go 8 miles take a left at the mini-golf course, go 1 mile take a right at the water-ice stand go 2 blocks, park behind Locals Only Dude bra's Surf Shop go to the beach, take a left and walk 2 miles up the beach to the sunken jetty, swim 1 mile to the right to the "Concrete Ship"
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
Bigsurf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33fish33 View Post
The truth is that you, waterman, have popularized spearing at "your spot" more than anyone else on this board. Just sayin...
I've never once seen anyone else at my spot! but how would you know my spot? do you think i would actually go into specifics as to where i dive? think about it for a second!

Your the one that names when and where!
Bigsurf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
Nate Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
...you yahoos..
It's interesting how just two little words can set the tone of a discussion.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
33fish33

Exactly. As TriggerNJ pointed out.
How about:
Hey all. As we start this season, lets remember to always use a dive flag and stay out of the inside of inlets. Also, follow size limits, and report those who don't. As more and more try this sport out, expect to have to share the limited space we have, when diving from shore. Maybe its time to better organize NJ spearos so we know each other when out on the water, and know who's new to the sport and may need some pointers. Lastly, don't promote your favorite spot, unless you want others to join you!
See - same info, less dbag.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #21
zag
60lbs

i have to agree that crowding poses a serious threat to our sport, but i think there is one concern that no one has mentioned: safety. with overcrowding brings new and inexperienced divers that pose a potential threat to their own life and the lives of any other divers in the water...not to mention the severe tarnishing of our rep. that occurs when fisherman watch divers act "disrespectfully" or in a risky/inappropriate manner from their boats or shore. personally, it was not really a concern to me till this past fall while diving the race with stefan. we watched a 23' parker drift back and forth over the top of the reef with a couple guys in wetsuits chillin in the cockpit, and one guy was making short dives in the water next to the boat. they were completely unaware of their DRIFTING SCUBA DIVER 3/4 OF A MILE A WAY HEADED TOWARDS CONNECTICUT. stefan alerted the boces and they were like "oh yeh, thanks bro" and zipped off to pick up their scuba diver with a speargun. we were blown away by such lack of awareness, inexperience, and danger that these guys posed to themselves and their friend in the water without being remotely aware that anything bad was unfolding. not to mention they were on scuba in the race which, if you know the area, is incerdibly dangerous. i worry about the safety of new people getting in the water that are not in tune to what they are doing. take inexperience and lack of comfort in the water, couple it with weekend boat traffic, misused gear, bad vis, strong current, strenuous situations, etc...it is a sure fire recipe for disaster. young divers need mentors to watch them grow up in diving. strong mentors encourage safe practice and build knowledge and experience through learning. a young diver learns best under years of experience, not the internet.

be safe,
zach
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
Bigsurf7

Quote:
how about this for one example: http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=49027

thats you right? "Its been really good the past few days and quite a few big fish still around viz was 12+ this morning"
Haha you are laughable pal! do you have any idea as to how big that area is? Me and the boys dive everyday its good and we never see anyone in the spots we dive! I don't get specific like the poles or the concrete ship! its a big area and lets just say this! I stay far away from the masses! Lately we have been open ocean diving over the past year! thats hardly spot specific!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
LeMonstier

Quote:
Also. I try not to give specifics on where I fish, but you often call it out on me. Like here!
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=65725

So...just sayin.
Cape May? That was South Jetty off Morey's pier off the Wildwood boardwalk. That place rules!!
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
Bigsurf7

Hey ya'll can do whatever you want! I will continue to dive just like i have in the past! I know i'm not the one thats going to be yanked out of the water for diving where i shouldn't be! Its just amazing how some have been diving only a year or two and all the sudden they become experts in the game and are telling other novices how and what to do when infact its complete rubbish! The sad part is someone is going to get hurt or even worse by thinking they can do something that they can't and are going to be in way over there heads! There is no substitute for experience.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
33fish33

waterman, this is not the first time you have called me laughable. I just don't get your guys attitude. Who are you calling novices and what bad advice is being given? I would concede that you are an experienced spearfisherman. I understand you've gone down to performance freediving and spent the winter spearfishing in Hawaii. And no one questioned that Dmill can kill more fish than I can dream about. What we're talking about here is you and your "boys"'s tone. Its always aggressive and conceited.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #26
FrickDaddy

What I've taken from this conversation is that Barnegat Inlet produces.

Waterman's posts are transparent.

Don't let him twist things up...especially in regards to Barnegat Inlet, LBI. Better off investigating yourself.

Especially after posting this.

50 lb bass are tempting....I have to admit. Thanks Waterman and Super Crew!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #27
Dmill

your welcome..you still wont produce..
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #28
Bigsurf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickDaddy View Post
What I've taken from this conversation is that Barnegat Inlet produces.

Waterman's posts are transparent.

Don't let him twist things up...especially in regards to Barnegat Inlet, LBI. Better off investigating yourself.

Especially after posting this.

50 lb bass are tempting....I have to admit. Thanks Waterman and Super Crew!
So whats so transparent about that post? Its pretty much illegal to dive most of the inlet and surrounding areas! like i've said we do alot of open ocean diving anymore but hey if you want to go in the surf along the jetties and spear 12inch tog like the rest of the guys out there doing it be my guest! I have yet to see anyone else in the spots we go to so i guess my plan has worked so far! but i do see people all bunched up diving on top of each other in the other spots!!! Now who's the dummy.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #29
#1 shaft

Chillllll out
#1 shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #30
Bigsurf7

Quote:
What we're talking about here is you and your "boys"'s tone. Its always aggressive and conceited.
Come back to me about tone and being conceited when spearfishing will be prohibited because people were ignorant and disrespectful about laws that were set upon us! 10 yrs ago you could go an entire summer and count the number of other spearfishermen you saw on one hand and we all knew each other! but now everytime there is anything more than 3 ft of viz there are is a crowd of people diving where they shouldn't be diving also lacking required equipment like a dive flag and alot of the time shooting undersized fish! Dmill,myself and others have witnessed this firsthand and yes it pisses me off so yeah i may come across arrogant or conceited but its because others are ruining the sport for those who do follow rules.

Dmill might have come off arrogant and aggressive but he hit the nail directly on the head.