Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Dmill

get ready..

i hope everyone is ready to see lots of dive flags this spring.. THat is if half you yahoos even use dive flags.. Every year this sport is blowing up more and more.. I love the internet and forums but certain things should just stay quiet.. New jersey does not have a ton of spots so when you post clarity reports and what you shoot dont be supprised to see more and more people diving your spots.. Not just do people that post on here look but think aboout how many people lurk and wait for a clarity report or a new spot to try.. I agree noone should ever dive alone but damn keep hush hush at times... OHH yea. and when freediving lets remember we share our spots with others( fisherman)) ..Lets be respectful of them.. IF they are there first give them some distance.. And also have a general knowledge of sizes.. I see more and more people getting into spearfishing that dont know what a 28inch bass looks like.. Aint no catch an release in spearing.. BEfore i ever took a gun in the water i just dove and observed... And did alot of hook and line fishing first too to see alot of 28 inch bass before i ever tried to shoot one underwater.. my rant is over... HAPPY HUNTING>>
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
33fish33

Re: get ready..

Thanks for the great post friend

Last edited by 33fish33; 04-23-2009 at 07:07 AM.
33fish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
fishfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33fish33 View Post
Thanks for the great post dbag
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Dmill

a dbag whos killed more fish then you can dream about..
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
a dbag whos killed more fish then you can dream about..
^
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
33fish33

How do you know how many fish I can dream about?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Couple questions. Why did you join the board if feel like an NJ spear fishing site is such a bad idea? Why join or even read it if the whole board is full of yahoo’s who know nothing and act irresponsibly. Was it to educate or ridicule us? I’m not sure. Why not suggest some possible solutions? Honestly, I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said. Might have been a good post if it didn’t start off calling everyone yahoos and expressed your thinking a little better.

Quote:
Not just do people that post on here look but think aboout how many people lurk and wait for a clarity report or a new spot to try.
Vis reports are basically useless from one day to another. Unless you’re on the phone with someone looking into the water as your heading there I don’t see the harm. It basically just lets someone know if they have any chance at all of vis. If anybody on here is like me and I’m sure plenty are then trying new spots is inevitable report or not. Not just handing the hard earned knowledge over to just anyone I can see though. I would agree with not getting specific about spots on the open board. Equipment, safety (including where not to go in this respect), and so on is one thing but a lot of this pursuit is about the search. I can understand not giving away hard earned scouting or honey holes to just anyone the way a public board does. How about a no spot burning policy like on many fishing boards? Just general location is given in reports. For example no town names etc.. Just County or maybe north, central, south with the well know inlets okay to identify.(I mean most inlets are on every dive list/site having to do with NJ anyway) ……Just some possible solutions off the top of my head.

And the rest: Aware of size laws…….build experience…….respect fisherman…..use dive flags……. dive with buddy…….responsible reporting methods or non-disclosure of specific spots……..

All good stuff. Why not put together some posts covering all this and be part of building a responsible spear community? Even shutting the whole board down won’t stop new people from being attracted to spearing NJ. Every time a kids face lights up when they figure out what any of us are doing another spearfisher is born. Let’s face it you’re never going to stop the growth but it’s early enough for you to help guide it.

Rant over back to the typing I should be doing...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
HighHook22

I do think it is necessary to leave out "specific locations" of the reports. As mentioned above, north, central and south jersey should be adequate. I love to see others reports and experiences but we need to be respectful of fellow spearfishers and the spots they spear. I too have notice a large increase in spearfishermen and the few spots out there are getting very pressured (including sports I spear). Just my 2 cents. Good luck too all this season!
HighHook22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
FLETCHOSAURUS

I can see what your talking about blowing up spots, fish regulations, etc.. But the season has barely started off and your making all these assumtions many of which do not make any sense and ontop of that you only have 4 post. Unless you made another name to conceal your identity.Why are soo disrespectful to your fellow spearmen. What do you know about other members on this board?

Last edited by FLETCHOSAURUS; 04-21-2009 at 08:52 PM.
FLETCHOSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Jimy286

You clearly know everything about spearfishing and must be the best spearo in the USA or may be the world. Please forgive us yahoos and simple foke.

Im english so i don't know inches. Come on mate P off
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
LeMonstier

I was all worried about spots being over run last year but after June, barely anyone was around. I'm just sticking to the "Concrete Ship" in Cape May from now on.

Oh, by the way. All locations posted on here are in code anyways. When we say Shark River, we actually mean, well, that's a secret.....
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
surf2live
Eternal Haole

Send a message via AIM to surf2live Send a message via Yahoo to surf2live

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMonstier View Post
I was all worried about spots being over run last year but after June, barely anyone was around. I'm just sticking to the "Concrete Ship" in Cape May from now on.

Oh, by the way. All locations posted on here are in code anyways. When we say Shark River, we actually mean, well, that's a secret.....
My thoughts exactly- I ran into other spearos maybe twice all last year. This isn't exactly an activity that's easy to pick up either- most people aren't even capable of freediving. I'm not worried about the 'crowds' at all. I just figure I'm more dedicated than most.
surf2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
33fish33

Also, 99% of time, when I do see a fellow spearo, they jump in the water for about 30 minutes and say the viz sucks and leave.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
LeMonstier

Come to think of it, Spearfishing in the Mid-Atlantic states sucks, everyone should just quit and start doing something else, like clamming or collecting bloodworms for bait shops.

Are there any forums out there for feeding seagull?
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Bigsurf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33fish33 View Post
Thanks for the great post dbag
I guess you don't like to hear the truth huh! The fact of the matter is yes its getting more popular and yes he is right about alot of people coming in and giving it a bad name by being disrespectful and killing undersized fish and diving where they shouldn't without the proper safety equipment! He brought up several points that are true! I know in our area there is a group of locals that have been doing it for a long time very quietly and last year we had to hear alot of displeasure about what was going on with all the new spearo's being nothing more than a bunch of idiot's shooting whatever wherever they pleased.Now because of certain people that chose to behave that way I understand they will be stepping up enforcement and cracking down on diving certain area's thanks to those who chose to ignore rules and respect!

And yes Dmill is a very accomplished spearfishermen that has killed more big fish than most would ever think and he does it without putting up reports or bragging to the masses!
Bigsurf7 is offline   Reply With Quote