Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
bikewrench

Missing diver

The local Providence television news stations are reporting this morning that a diver who was spearfishing Saturday afternoon in Newport is missing. They are reporting his name as Philip Stevens. We all need to send positive thoughts his way.

Last edited by bikewrench; 07-01-2007 at 06:20 AM.
bikewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
HawkDriver

Re: Missing diver

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who biddest the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

prayers sent also
HawkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
sa1280

My hopes go out for those involved.

Here is a link to the story:
http://ww2.wpri.com/Global/story.asp?S=6733722

That is scary to think that he was only in shallow water that close to shore.
sa1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
yazbeck

I have just received an email with the terrible news from Suzette Walpole from the Narragansett Pier Dive in RI.

Phil is the president of the MA freedive spearfishing club and one of the divers to help me launch the Picasso Open Freedive Hunting tournaments back in 2000, in RI.

I recall many years ago when John Warnock was also reported missing in that same area when his kayak was found drifting. But John was later spotted that same afternoon by the fire department walking on the beach after a very long swim back to shore.

I am still in disbelief that Phil is gone.

May he rest in peace.
yazbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
FreediveNewport
RobM

As of Sunday afternoon, 1pm, the coast guard and members of various fire/rescue dive teams, as well as the Rhode Island Enviornmental Police called off their search for Phil Stevens. Although searching the waters in and around Prices neck for several hours on Saturday (late afternoon until sundown) and resuming this morning at 7am, no progress was made in the effort to recover our borothr. A continued search is still underway by members of the Mass. & RI Freedive clubs and we remaine hopeful that closure can be brought to this unfortunate event.

We often read of these kinds of accidents taking place throughout the freediving community but it takes on a completley different feeling when it hits us at home. The loss of ANY diver is hard to swallow and is only multiplyed when it touches someone as involved in our sport like Phil was.

I ask that our prayers, thoughts and support go out to Ann and that we , as a community, make her feel as comfortable as possible in this time of greeving.

More information will be posted at the appropriate time but should anyone need to talk my phone will be on. 401-662-5618

Rob
http://magicfoundation.org

Last edited by FreediveNewport; 07-01-2007 at 03:18 PM.
FreediveNewport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Very sad news, my thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
bruce_s

terrible news.Prayers for him and his family.
bruce_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
Corpsman

very sad.
Corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
bdpURI

...a post in a thread on scubaboard.com titled Missing Freediver:

"FYI, we were out diving the Grecian and Idene and we heard the Channel 16 chatter regarding the search. We heard a call early this afternoon that he was found and taken to the hospital. I don't know what his condition was, whether he was responsive etc. No further details were given on Channel 16."

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=198177
bdpURI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Yes, I was told about this sad situation earlier today. We must not give up hope. Maybe a miracle is possible. Phil is a valuable member of the freedive spearfishing community and has been working very hard on the next Nationals after California this year which is to be hosted by his Massachussetts club. Close friends of his have told me of his absolute dedication and love of this sport.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
FreediveNewport
RobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpURI
...a post in a thread on scubaboard.com titled Missing Freediver:

"FYI, we were out diving the Grecian and Idene and we heard the Channel 16 chatter regarding the search. We heard a call early this afternoon that he was found and taken to the hospital. I don't know what his condition was, whether he was responsive etc. No further details were given on Channel 16."

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=198177

We wrapped up our efforts this evening and after many hours in the water there is no further news to report. I am not sure the origin of the above statement however I do believe that one of the people directly involved would have been contacted in such a situation.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
clavinr
That's a huge fish!

Phil is a good friend. He was doing what he loved. I will miss him like a brother.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #13
FreediveNewport
RobM

Update:
Yesterday 2 items were recovered from the Prices Neck area. These items were Phils dive flag as well as the anchor for his kayak. Items were found in about 35' of water at the east tip of Price Neck, where the rocks meet the sand.

The anchor was left in place and marked with two white egg floats.

On Monday morning diverd from MA & Ri will again be in the water continuing the search. The following information is ment to aid in that effort as well as for those considering coming down to join in the recovery.

Coast Guard will be placing a bouy in the area where the items were found to aid in the search effort and can be used for a point of reference.

The area from the egg floats (marking the anchor) to the east, towards the mouth of green bridge, and in toward shore should be searched. The use of SCUBA would be helpful in this effort.

If items are found please note the location and communicate with other divers on scene.

Use your best judgement if locating the body and allow time for Phils loved ones to be informed prior to posting any information on spear board or other media.

In the event that we do find Phil, please contact the RI DEM @ 401-222-3070. The contact person for this is Sgt. Ed Cabral. It was recomended to us to mark him with a float and call DEM to complete the recovery.

In a converstaion I had with a navy recovery diver I was told that in most cases recoverys are made within 100yds from items found on the bottom.

Access to prices neck is available from the Green Bridge boat ramp on Ocean Ave.

Thank you to all involved.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikewrench
The local Providence television news stations are reporting this morning that a diver who was spearfishing Saturday afternoon in Newport is missing. They are reporting his name as Philip Stevens. We all need to send positive thoughts his way.
Hi All,
I have just spoke to Ann this morning.

I was totally unaware that Phil was missing and I was so upset to hear this news.

I was phoning to speak to Phil about this coming Saturdays Junior Nationals. An event that Phil has relentlessly pushed for so many years.

His encouragement to Juniors, to take part in our special sport, will be hard to replace.

In sadness,
Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
hockeydiver
HockeyDiver

Sorry to hear about losing another diver. My condolenses to his family..