Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #16
peterislame

Re: Koah Roller Pics & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Shaft diving on powerd up rollers is usually due to too light a shaft and the shaft out accelerating the band's retraction speed . This causes you to not get the full power out of the stroke Ether switch to a thicker shaft or thinner bands .
Why would that cause a shaft to dive? If it left the muzzle before the bands wouldn't that be one less thing interfering with the trajectory. I've only ever seen overpowered or whipping shafts go nose up. Muzzle flip sends it down. On a roller I tested switching to a heavier shaft caused the gun to flip more severely.
peterislame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterislame View Post
Why would that cause a shaft to dive? If it left the muzzle before the bands wouldn't that be one less thing interfering with the trajectory. I've only ever seen overpowered or whipping shafts go nose up. Muzzle flip sends it down. On a roller I tested switching to a heavier shaft caused the gun to flip more severely.
If the shafts initial acceleration is too fast it will leave the band's behind as it goes down the track and the retraction speed of the band's slows , this makes for a slower shaft speed out of the gun and a shaft that drops quickly . On a roller.the shaft and bands should be balanced to where the shaft is pushed all the way to the muzzle .

The gun also needs to be built corectly also , if it's not would should go down in band thickness instead of up in shaft dia. Never cut the bands shorter to reduce power .

A overpowerd shaft is like stomping on the gas in the rain . Most of.the launch energy is wasted

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
If the shafts initial acceleration is too fast it will leave the band's behind as it goes down the track and the retraction speed of the band's slows , this makes for a slower shaft speed out of the gun and a shaft that drops quickly . On a roller.the shaft and bands should be balanced to where the shaft is pushed all the way to the muzzle .

The gun also needs to be built corectly also , if it's not would should go down in band thickness instead of up in shaft dia. Never cut the bands shorter to reduce power .

A overpowerd shaft is like stomping on the gas in the rain . Most of.the launch energy is wasted
Now that is useful information!
I was guilty of overpowering my guns for years when i first started. I always thought that the accuracy was compromised due to the slight bending of the barrel, or the upward flip of the muzzle. The most accurate guns that i have ever shot were the old Omers (MB 30, Master 105). They had no rail or anything, but what they did have were perfectly tuned bands.

Thanks Phil.

KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #19
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroluvr View Post
interesting inputs from both of you. Thanks.
I was just about to order a Koah Euro longstock.

Now you got me wanting the roller!

Beautiful gun. Thanks for posting.

I got a rear handle plus for blue water. Ii is easy to load for a bluewater gun.

KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #20
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

Follow up from OP, long time later. After having studied Majd's videos on speargun physics, which explains why Koah muzzle flip is really the cause of why I wasn't getting accurate quickly. The handle is simply stuck on the bottom of a thick piece of wood far out of alignment with the shaft. It wasn't my inexperience with long guns, its that the shaft and hand are badly placed.
Got an Abellan Denton 120 instead with much better alignment and did Majdq8 handle mod. Also faster less fuss to load. Far more accurate and far faster shaft velocity as it flies straight out of the gun. Koah guys need to fix their handle - shaft alignment, which really means go rear handle only.
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:29 AM   #21
Behslayer

"Koah guys need to fix their handle - shaft alignment, which really means go rear handle only."

I've seen a whole bunch of really good shots taken with Koah guns during the past few months. Have a look at some of these.. https://www.instagram.com/p/BK4CpbLj...t_whatchu_kill These guys KILL it with those set ups..

Rear handle only? Different guns match different styles better. If you are a chaser.. a rear handle might be a better option. If you are a waiter.. Rear handles are just not that stable and more cumbersome to maneuver when you are not moving forward. But make no mistake about it. Mid Handles Can shoot the eyes out of fish at 20'+

Last edited by Behslayer; 01-14-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #22
BigWednesday

I bought a 110cm Koah Roller for my girlfriend because she was having issues loading my other guns. I have used it a few times and it's like a laser (the same as my other koahs). Shoots true as far as I can tell. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people who have trouble loading.

The other guns I use often are:
Riffe Comp 3x
Koah Euro 130cm (buddy's gun and i borrow whenever I can)
Koah 64" Bluewater
BigWednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
Jimmyking10

How did you feel that it stacked up against the 130 as far as distance because it’s a good find if finding a shorter gun with longer range and power
Jimmyking10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
BigWednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyking10 View Post
How did you feel that it stacked up against the 130 as far as distance because it’s a good find if finding a shorter gun with longer range and power
I'd say the 130 has a little more reach maybe 10% more? The maneuverability, ease of loading, and no recoil make up for it.
BigWednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #25
Hpwatson

What does the gun weigh?
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote