Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
kwyoungspear

Dead fish, not the good kind.

Found this post on facebook. The person who posted the pictures and story was apparently sailing from Key West to Fort Myers.

About 26 miles south of Marco Island the water color changed to an eerie green and for the next 8 miles of the voyage they ran through a dead zone of fish. A variety of grouper (including reds, gags, scamps, and jew fish), Amberjack, Cobia, and what was described as thousands of small snappers/grunts, were all found floating dead on the surface. Looking at other pictures on the post I saw dead dolphins and more jew fish rooting on beaches.

The author of the post, and those who commented, seem to attribute this to chemical run down from big sugar companies up by Lake Okeechobee.

This pisses me off. While plenty of agencies seem all for the shut down of fishing, they don't seem to care about this. It's clear which of the two has a bigger impact on the ecosystem.

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SWFL...1080475630700/
Old 02-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
HurricaneBK

Re: Dead fish, not the good kind.

Sounds more like a red tide bloom rather than something directly attributable to the Lake O runoff problems, especially that far out in the Gulf in 50' of water. It's possible the elevated nitrate levels in the runoff made it out that far to make the bloom worse but there's also the possibility its a result of a natural upwelling which are common this time of year.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
kwyoungspear

Both very good points, and I can't disagree.

My reasoning in posting this was to point out the hypocrisy under this system. When NOAA created the FKNMS to combat the depleting water quality. But when do you see those agencies doing anything about that?
Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Snapper Mangler

It's more so due to the runoff. We get the runoff out of St lucie inlet here and it's been choclate milk out to 200 ft of water since they started dumping about a month or more ago. Sucks, going to move out of this place if this keeps getting like this.
This is the first year since I can't remember when that the lake was so high it had to be dumped during winter. It's supposed to be crystal clear right now. Nope, and if they're already high now it's going to be stay dumping all summer for sure. Time to move
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote