Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #61
SlushFund

Re: Dead fish, not the good kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by florfreediver View Post
Some people will say anything they do not know anything about.
Quote:
I am not aware of the pumps that pump it back into the Lake and will ask around.
Ain't that the truth!

BTW, I don't think it's wise for someone who owns a free-diving business to go around touting that he works for, and supports Big Sugar. It could hurt your bottom line if more people were aware of this.
SlushFund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #62
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlushFund View Post
Ain't that the truth!

BTW, I don't think it's wise for someone who owns a free-diving business to go around touting that he works for, and supports Big Sugar. It could hurt your bottom line if more people were aware of this.
Hi SlushFund,
Just to set it straight.
I sold the shop some years ago already.

Now back in Industry for an easier and less stressful living and for Health Benefits

Also no hard-assed Divers trying to get anything for nothing :>)

The new owner of Florida Freedivers insisted I keep my past association with the shop.
Hence my signature.

About to retire so not too worried about wrong assumptions.

Still got to find out if we do any back pumping at Big Sugar. I sincerely doubt it.

Regards,
Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #63
Red Tide

When the phosphate dykes broke and the bazillion gallons of this fertilizer water ran in to the Gulf of Mexico we were hit with the worst outbreak of red tide that anyone can remember. All of the corals and softs corals were bleached white from Tampa Bay up to Bayport. Fish disappeared and all of the fish that FWC was protecting were dead. You do not have to be a smart biologist to figure what caused this. Now the same thing is happening in South Florida and we are supposed to think it is normal. Big Agra destroyed the Bay of Florida and continues to do so. For what? So we can have sugar? Pathetic!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #64
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Beware of persons trying to make this a partisan/political issue. Their intentions are skewered and should be ignored. There's no room for that here.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #65
jfjf

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!

You made some intelligent comments in this thread, but your most recent one...well that was out of line.

As Mike is no longer associated with the store (that he and his wife built up from scratch) your comment was ignorant and irrelevant. In addition, he is too much of a gentlemen to tell you to take your pathetic threats about his employment situation and ...... well, I'm not quite the gentlemen he is..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #66
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
.....Their intentions are skewered........
+

I know you meant "skewed," but thinking of intentions on a shish kebab with pineapples and teriyaki marinade makes me both hungry and silly.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #67
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Beware of persons trying to make this a partisan/political issue. Their intentions are skewered and should be ignored. There's no room for that here.
You are so mistaken Marcus. This whole issue is very much political. The situation we find ourselves in is because of political pressure to develop Florida, to farm Florida and to keep development costs and farming costs as low as possible. This type of attitude is prevalent and expanding within this state.

The water management district bought a ton of the farm land... then what did they do? Lease it back to farmers to continue to farm the land (for cheap).

Once so much land is developed, then the managers have no choice.. they will pick protection of property from flooding over environmental protection EVERY TIME!

Until there is a huge change in the POLITICAL support for protection of the estuaries, the wetlands, the resources... things will continue to degrade.

There is way too much money to be made in continued development.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #68
SlushFund

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
You made some intelligent comments in this thread, but your most recent one...well that was out of line.

As Mike is no longer associated with the store (that he and his wife built up from scratch) your comment was ignorant and irrelevant. In addition, he is too much of a gentlemen to tell you to take your pathetic threats about his employment situation and ...... well, I'm not quite the gentlemen he is..
jfjf,
My comment was inappropriate and I apologize if I offended anyone; but I never threatened anyone. I think we all can agree that this is a very sensitive subject and dialogue become contentious, if not downright ugly. I don't know you or Mike, but I'm sure you're both stand up guys.

Cheers
SlushFund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #69
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
+

I know you meant "skewed," but thinking of intentions on a shish kebab with pineapples and teriyaki marinade makes me both hungry and silly.
ROFL - I was thinking the same thing when I read that - I think I see now why you got your award
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #70
jfjf

Quote:
jfjf,
My comment was inappropriate and I apologize if I offended anyone; but I never threatened anyone. I think we all can agree that this is a very sensitive subject and dialogue become contentious, if not downright ugly. I don't know you or Mike, but I'm sure you're both stand up guys.

Cheers
Mike more than me.. but thanks.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #71
florfreediver

Quote:
jfjf,

Cheers
Hey Slushfund:
No apologies necessary. Been through worse arguments and discussions.
Thanks for coming to my aid Jim.

The issue is sensitive and even though I work at US Sugar, I do not know all the facts especially what goes on in Ag.

At the actual Sugar Mill and Refinery, we have huge containment ponds at the back. Any spillages gets treated/contained there.
After the initial treatment for any BOD and COD's the final treatment ponds are full of wildlife. Ducks, birds, fish, gators etc.
I occasionally get one of the Pond Operators to take me for a ride around the place. The life in and around the ponds is incredible. My grandson is forever nagging me to take him to bowfish the Tilapia in the ponds :>)

Regards,
Mike.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #72
florfreediver

Quote:
Hi SlushFund,

Still got to find out if we do any back pumping at Big Sugar. I sincerely doubt it.

Regards,
Mike.
This has recently been published by the South Florida water management Board:-

Media outlets continue to falsely report that rare emergency pumping of water into Lake Okeechobee was orchestrated by farmers.

Pumping water into the lake from the south, known as "back pumping," is used only in extreme emergency flooding situations by the South Florida Water Management District. Neither businesses nor farms have the authority or capability to pump water directly into the lake, as environmental groups such as the Sierra Club have incorrectly asserted in the media.
Here are the facts:
• The Florida Department of Environmental Protection permit and SFWMD Governing Board policy strictly limit pumping water into the lake only in extreme conditions to protect thousands of families and businesses living south of the lake.
• Back pumping is rare and is not the reason water is being discharged from the lake to the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee estuaries -- record rainfall is the cause.
• The emergency back pumping operation has been used only 9 times since 2008, four of which followed tropical storms.
• During the 96-hour back pumping operation triggered by the record rain this January, pumps moved 31,397 acre-feet of water.
• This 31,397 acre-feet of water pumped into the lake was less than 1 percent of the total volume water in the lake at the time.
• Projects that will reduce the need for emergency pumping and reduce harmful freshwater discharges to the estuaries are now operating or under construction:
o A-1 Flow Equalization Basin in western Palm Beach County began storing water (to be cleaned in Stormwater Treatment Areas) directly from the lake on March 11 to help lower levels and benefit the coastal estuaries.
o The 10,500 acre C-43 and 3,000 acre C-44 reservoirs in Hendry and Martin counties are now under construction to help capture excess stormwater flows.
# # #
The South Florida Water Management District is a regional governmental agency that manages the water resources in the southern part of the state. It is the oldest and largest of the state's five water management districts.

Our mission is to protect South Florida's water resources by balancing and improving flood control, water supply, water quality and natural systems.
---------------------------------

Regards,
Mike
Old 03-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #73
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Ah...I see that the Sierra Club is one of your biggest antagonists. That club is owned/funded by globalism organizations either directly, or most likely indirectly through shell organizations. They serve the agenda of the globalists, as in Agenda 21...which seeks to eliminate companies such as big sugar no matter how environmentally responsible these corporations are.
The Sierra Club is in cahoots with all these other clubs like Ducks Unlimited. They support the exact OPPOSITE of the what they pretend to support, just like the organization that gets money from the "support our reefs license plates". Do NOT support these shysters. They are run by globalists, one way or the other, that are dead set on eliminating your access to public resources. Their agenda is to eliminate your ability to utilize public resources and instead hand your rights over to big industrialized companies that they have a investment stake in such that they can profit by it.
They are totally against 'pubic resources' and anyone that tries to utilize such...except their subcontractors. I researched and found all this out many years ago while following the money, after it became VERY obvious that our fishery management people didn't give a rat's ass what public input we provided to them in order to help 'their alleged agenda'. This is what sent me down the obvious visible agenda I have on here. If you question my intent...PLEASE do your own research. I have...and is the reason I'm so passionate on such things. Shits' crooked, yo.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #74
hogphish

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/maj...n-river-lagoon

"brown tide" Sounds like a euphemism for that septic backup called Lake Okeechobee.

Last edited by hogphish; 03-21-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: make more specific
hogphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #75
Snapper Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogphish View Post
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/maj...n-river-lagoon

"brown tide" Sounds like a euphemism for that septic backup called Lake Okeechobee.
Never thought I would meet someone that hates the lake like I do. I see your in stuart too, we Really know what's going on....
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote