Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
waterstone

Ogive vs pencil point

I have these 2 shafts to choose from. Does the ogive tip get through fish just as well as pencil point? I'm fishing in south florida/keys where we have coral and limestone -- it's not as hard as other kinds of rock, but it dulls a tip eventually.

Target fish are mostly grouper-snapper-hog. Triggerfish also, which are probably tougher than the rest. Last week I stoned a cobia through its skull, so that could happen again. I've been using a different shaft that's pencil-point. Looking now to rig another gun.

What's the plus-minus using an ogive tip? Its very hard stainless that I can't easily re-shape into a pencil point.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	221728  
waterstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Wood Guy

Re: Ogive vs pencil point

For where you hunt, I'd consider grinding or filing it into a tri cut. While it might dull a little easier than a pencil point, it will penetrate easier than either of the two tips shown because it cuts as well as pushes through, and can be easily touched up on the boat with a file. Keep it sharp.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
waterstone

Thanks. Before grinding and re-shaping I'm wondering if anyone uses ogive tip and has much to say about it... Does that shape work just fine? I'm thinking it's maybe like convex grind on a knife blade -- has its advantage but takes some finesse to shape just right. I don't know, ogive shafts aren't very common.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

I think that Ogive is the perfect 'rock point' tip.
So it does not have to be perfect.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
sharpshooter

Pencil point is like a 9mm bullet and Ogive is like a 45 bullet. The pencil point penetrates the fish easier. But, dulls easier when hitting coral. The Ogive does seem to pack more punch on a fish and does not dull as easily on rock. Just does not penetrate as easy on long shots. Most of us shooting bottom fish use Ogive tips.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Pencil points dull very quickly. Ogive work best if around 3/4". The one in the pic is too short. Easiest way to make them is with a flap disc and angle grinder with the shaft spun up in the lathe.

But a file will work. I like a 10"-12" single cut, smooth file. Spray down the file with wd-40 or at the very least keep it wet with some type of penetrate or oil. This will keep the fillings form loading up the file. Wax and chalk also work well but better with softer non-ferrous material.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
waterstone

Thanks. I don't have a lathe but will try to touch it up. Need a better file -- the one I tried a while back just slid off, wouldn't bite. Cheers.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Steel shaft? 17-4 stainless shafts hardened to H-900 run 42-46Rc, Cr-V and Cr-Si (steel shafts) run 48-55Rc. Files run around 60Rc, so if your file isn't touching the shaft, you have one over hardened shaft or the file is cheap quality.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
waterstone

I think it may be a Sandvik (sp?) stainless shaft, which I recall is supposed to be harder than 17-4. The number 52 Rc comes to mind... Can't see in the photo, but it is a much brighter and more polished silver metal than the Riffe shaft next to it. The entire shaft is bright and shiny, not bronze color. One thing I've wondered is whether reshaping a lot of material from the tip would take away that hardening and leave soft metal. I don't know if the hardening process goes all the way through or is more like a surface hardening. That file is not the best, but it works on other things...here it just glides like on ice.