Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
AndrewK

Magnets in an open track gun?

I have a jbl woody mag 450, I'd love to find out if I can install magnets under the open track (similar to the riffe euro x series )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
xpuddlepirate
Sunrise

Send a message via AIM to xpuddlepirate
Re: Magnets in an open track gun?

Route out a pocket from the bottom of the gun just so it's 1/8" below the track. Install some rare earth magnets and fill with epoxy.
xpuddlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
AndrewK

Sounds easy enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
humpinit

Rare earth magnet. Are they hard to find? Are they really rare? I feel like I should know about them at 42 years of age. Btw, I'm not going to google it afterwards.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Bubbafishing
You scared? Get a dog.

Andrew;

Let me look in the workshop...I think I have some magnets down there that you can have. Thank you for your service.

Bubba.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly… who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause." ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Bubbafishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
manoa matt

Neodymium magnets are commonly refereed to as rare earth magnets. The distance from the magnet to the shaft will depend on the strength of the magnet. Typically you want the magnet strong enough to hold the shaft if the gun is turned upside down. However, a giggle or flick of the gun and the shaft should release. I prefer top down installation. A forstner bit works best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10425383_367766936681305_5140028602432316886_n.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	225996  
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:47 AM   #7
spearq8

Rare earth magnets are not rare or scarse at all ... they are not expensive. What you need to take care of with magnets is corrosion ... they rust very easily. A good idea is to put a couple of layers of epoxy on the magnet and let them dry and then make the hole and fully encapsulate it with epoxy. It take some trial and error to get the correct depth as the power of the magnet can be dramatically reduced if the magnet is too deep and is also affected by how much epoxy skin there is on them. Another thing is different shafts have different magnetic pull ... the more iron in the shaft the more it will attract the magnet. I know for example that Trygon shafts have dramatically more magnetic pull than say a normal 17-4ph SS shaft.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
xpuddlepirate
Sunrise

Send a message via AIM to xpuddlepirate

SpearQ is right. I have had 1 that did get water intrusion and it will wreck your track. I made the repair but it was a pain.

I have a gun that I use carbon shafts with the magnet. I thought for sure it was going to cause issues cause of how much pull it had on the shaft, but it's worked really well.
xpuddlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Behslayer

Look for Neodymium Magnets which are encased in Plastic to start with.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
waterstone

I found small diameter 3/16"x 1/4" long (down to 1/8 long) at K&J Magnetics.
They list magnetic strength for all. I bought a few sizes and experimented -- 2x 1/4 inch long stacked on each other had enough pull.

I drilled down through the track, not up from bottom. Small hole centered just so and just deep enough...Just big enough hole so the magnets are encapsulated all around, not laying against raw wood.

Used epoxy with a syringe, small drop to wet the hole and stir around in there with a paper clip. Placed the doubled-stack magnets just below track level. Then dripped epoxy with syringe, one drip at a time. Poke the air bubbles...

I wanted 1/16-inch thick layer of epoxy, but I goofed the hole a little too deep.

Magnet pull falls off rapidly with distance. I ended up maybe 1/8 inch layer epoxy over the magnets, and it's not as strong as I hoped, but it helps.

I wanted 5# of magnet pull and ended up with less. Would go a higher strength next time to end up just right.

Anyhow, K&J Magnetics...
waterstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
spearq8

Remember that in water gravity is not so severe, so less pull than you wanted might turn out to be perfect.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbafishing View Post
Andrew;

Let me look in the workshop...I think I have some magnets down there that you can have. Thank you for your service.

Bubba.

Shit Bubba, I appreciate it bigtime ! I forgot that you and I are close by now.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
Spear_Row

Has anyone installed a magnet in a pipe gun? Thinking of a carbon pathos.
How easy is this to do?
Riffe uses one, and Ulusub but they are wood.
Thoughts? Thanks!
Spear_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Someone with experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think drilling a hole that big in a carbon tube would be a bad idea.

If it's a metal tube, maybe you could take 3 or 4 3/16" rare-earth magnets and put them in a little tube, then install it as a pillar in the pipe?

Or, maybe you can just slather a nice, thick 3/8 -1/2" magnet in epoxy and use a stick with a measured mark on it to slap it to the inside of the pipe about halfway down? I'm not sure how much pull it will have, but you could experiment.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear_Row View Post
Has anyone installed a magnet in a pipe gun? Thinking of a carbon pathos.
How easy is this to do?
Riffe uses one, and Ulusub but they are wood.
Thoughts? Thanks!
I'd think it would be easy to put a magnet in a cf pipe gun barrel. Put it in front of the front barrel plug, which you may need to push further back depending how far the manufacturer placed it. Place your magnet in and use some kind of cushion around it to hold it in place. Another barrel plug that you've drilled out to hold the magnet might work.

I'm just thinking of ways to avoid drilling through the barrel. Be careful adding weight up near the muzzle as it could throw things off, maybe add foam to balance it out.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote