Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Purdyboy

Stripers at the inlet.

I got my first bass on spear the other day. Went in again yesterday the vis was surprisingly good. There were a bunch of bass around and huge tog every where (why the season is closed i dont know). But its good to see some sustained life in the area.
Here's a link to a clip from yesterday and the day before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d1Jl...e=channel_page
Purdyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Re: Stripers at the inlet.

Cool clip. Tog are closed because they are spawning, that is one reason they are fearless.
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
nilsonov

which inlet was this?
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Definatly Barnegat.
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Dmill

29 and change.. damn dude.. way to give yourself some plus or minus error.. that could have easily been 27and 3/4....... looks small to me.. i wouldnt be posting that on youtube.. thats all you need some fisherman on the rocks to see that and give you hell.. and this is why spearfisherman get a bad rap....... aint no catch and release.. 29and3/4.. congrats on it if in fact it was that but i must say thats a close call indeed... sorry to burst your bubble.. im not being an ass here but thats a close call... we get bad raps as spearfisherman when we have fish that close to the limit....
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Purdyboy

In reguards to size i measured it when i got home and it was 29 3/4in. i will say it looks small in the video, but reguardless it was a decent legal fish. I dont take any chances when it comes to size limits on fish i can't afford any fines.

Last edited by Purdyboy; 05-14-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
LeMonstier

As much as I like the smaller size fish for eating, I don't shoot anything unless it looks at least 6" above the limit. My general rule is to look for the second or 3rd largest one in the school as long as it's not a school of schoolies, follow?

Another way to choose the right size striper is to look at the shape of the head. Short ones are pointer. Sometimes it's hard to gauge the sizes of fish depending on the clarity.
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Purdyboy

I hear what your saying. I've caught hundreds of bass on R&R and i have a pretty good feel for whats of size and whats not. Im also a first mate on a private boat so i feel confident in my judgement when im in the water, but thanks for the tips.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Jspear57

Just want to clear things up... I was with him when he shot the fish and I filleted it too. It doesn't help it was pretty skinny, it was pretty sucked out, nothing in its stomach. It was a legit fish though, not a trophy by any means but definately legal.

I have fished and speared with purdyboy more times than I can count and have caught thousands of fish with him of all shapes and sizes. I can almost guarentee that we have more experience on the water and fish under our belts than most people. We are not some punk kids out srewing around on the weekend. We respect the environment, follow the regulations, and try to have some class and earn the respect of others in the sport who are older and more experienced.
Jspear57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
robcnav284
Game over

Send a message via AIM to robcnav284

congrats on first bass on the spear!! what did you use to mount camera on your gun? And what kind of camera are you using? i bought an olympus 1030sw off of here month or so ago and trying to figure out good way to mount on daryl wong or riffe. Thanks
robcnav284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
nilsonov

Bass are rare and tog are out of season, what else is out there? I've never had luck spotting a fluke/flounder before it was too late, and never seen seabass over 12". Am I just not in the right spots?
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
LeMonstier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
Bass are rare and tog are out of season, what else is out there? I've never had luck spotting a fluke/flounder before it was too late, and never seen seabass over 12". Am I just not in the right spots?
You need to look for Fluke in the sand near rocks. It's a game of luck. If you see one, there's usually a few more around. Most of the time they will stay in the sand as long as you don't disturb them. If you find one, and are out of breath, just be really smooth and remember the spot, go up for more air and slowly go back down. Check out the size and if it's big, carefully shoot it into the sand on as little power as possible hoping there's no rocks underneath the sand. Keep the shaft in the sand until you can reach under and and secure the fluke by holding the shaft on either side of it. Those fish will flop right off your shaft if you don't grab it this way. Filet, cook and eat.
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Purdyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcnav284 View Post
congrats on first bass on the spear!! what did you use to mount camera on your gun? And what kind of camera are you using? i bought an olympus 1030sw off of here month or so ago and trying to figure out good way to mount on daryl wong or riffe. Thanks
I use a Fugifilm finepix F40fd and waterproof case. I mounted it on my gun useing a right angle piece of steel and matching the screw thread in the bottom of the case with one from the hard ware store and just screwed the camera to the right angle. Here's a few pictures to clarify what im saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_03240019.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	102175   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_03240021.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	102176   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_03240015.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	102177  
Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
robcnav284
Game over

Send a message via AIM to robcnav284

nice and simple i have been trying to come up with one for a month now and that was an idea. i think im gonna have to make one. does the bracket and camera swivel when you shoot or is it tight enough that it doesn't move?
robcnav284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
HuntorDie
Weapon of BassDestruction

Rob,
If you get the right angle bracket, get two since I would like to get my camera mounted also. I will be heading out after work this week tide should match up well.
HuntorDie is offline   Reply With Quote