Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 08-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
HuntorDie
Weapon of BassDestruction

3mm or 5mm Wetsuit?

I've been diving with an old 3mm two piece wetsuit in the new york, long island area for a few years now and its time to upgrade. I normally dive from april-nov and am fairly comfortable and warm in the 3mm at these times. Im a fairly skinny guy so should I stay with the 3mm or go with the 5mm so im nice and toasty in the colder months when the fish aren't around? At deeper depths when I do hit a thermocline I get fairly cold and it may have an impact on my bottoms times. Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks
Huntordie
HuntorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
surf2live
Eternal Haole

Send a message via AIM to surf2live Send a message via Yahoo to surf2live
Re: 3mm or 5mm Wetsuit?

Your body will burn A LOT more oxygen fighting to keep warm, so it will absolutely affect your bottom time.

I have two wetsuits, both open cell- a 3mm and a 5mm. I don't think you can have just one suit realistically. I would recommend spending the bucks on a solid 5mm open cell, and you can get away with a cheaper 3mm. Trust me- warmth is worth paying for- I surf year round in waters that drop to 37degrees and you know where the extra money went when youre warm in frigid waters.

Btw- I also have very little bodyfat- around the 5% range since I train daily- I feel that I do get colder faster than others.

Hope that helps!

www.performancefreediving.com
surf2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
jetro

Re: 3mm or 5mm Wetsuit?

5mm Pinnacle for the cooler water. It's all you'll ever need.
jetro is offline   Reply With Quote