Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-23-2022, 04:56 AM   #31
popgun pete

Re: Best Railgun/Pipe gun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
This looks like a copy of Mario's back roller ... which is patented! I do know the workings of this design and although it does feel like it reduce friction forces on the sears it was never able to prevent galling. If it had worked well I would never have pushed for a double roller design. At least it definetly was not enough in the older Ermessub versions of which this trigger has apparently copied. You would absolutely need a front roller for this to work well.
The difference is the Meandros roller tooth loads up the sear box walls and the force is thus reduced going down onto the sear lever, that doesn't happen in the Ermes Sub DR where the roller tooth only pushes on the sear lever as that little pin going through the roller tooth never touches the sear box walls thanks to the curved side slots that isolate it However if you put a square cut shaft into the Meandros it could just pin the roller tooth to the big window slots and have no force component to push the sear lever down, whereas the Ermes Sub DR will always shoot as the force is taken by the front of the cup in the sear lever that holds up the roller tooth.

One thing to remember is the Meandros is buried in a plastic grip and that will be what stops the roller tooth falling out of the side windows in the sear box, plus its pivot pins are the mounting pins for the mechanism in the grip and it is thus not a standalone mech that can be fitted to other stocks.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:55 AM   #32
popgun pete

The Meandros pin roller is more like the roller tooth used in the old US Divers "Sea Hunter" spearguns, only there instead of a lever dropping down a sliding block was pulled out from under the roller so that the spear shaft tail could push the roller tooth out of the way for the gun to shoot (Spirotech also used a roller tooth in their Spiro Arbalete). However one important difference is that while the roller tooth in the “Sea Hunter” leaned along its full width with a line contact on a flat bulkhead fronting the mechanism the Meandros roller tooth is only caught on its edges in the sear box wall windows. That effectively point contact on each side could wear the roller ends and maybe put flats on it, but the roller tooth can easily be replaced if you take the mechanism out as it just drops in through the side windows.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:55 PM   #33
Ron S

So trying to sort through all this, it appears that there are major advantages and also major disadvantages to these new reverse trigger mechanism handles. As I see it, generally, the advantages are longer band stretch and higher hand placement, which result in more power and more range, and greater accuracy. The disadvantages, are greatly reduced durability and shorter lifespan. Sound about right?
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:29 PM   #34
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
So trying to sort through all this, it appears that there are major advantages and also major disadvantages to these new reverse trigger mechanism handles. As I see it, generally, the advantages are longer band stretch and higher hand placement, which result in more power and more range, and greater accuracy. The disadvantages, are greatly reduced durability and shorter lifespan. Sound about right?
I think durability questions are not that simple and one cannot make those sort of generalisations. If you want longer band stretch then just make a longer gun barrel. The main advantage of the reverse trigger mechanism is that it is relatively shallow and enables guns like the Omer Cayman where the grip sits right up behind the barrel, it being one of the first that appeared in any quantities for production guns. If the levers in a trigger mechanism don't sit in the same plane then they load up on one side and the high contact pressure created damages the sliding surfaces regardless of the trigger type. Guns that don’t have a lot of band load and are not greatly used may take a long time to show any problems, plus depending on the batch some trigger mechanisms may be better than others of exactly the same type. Back in the day guns were made to be cost effective and to keep prices competitive, so they were designed to be churned out quickly and slapped together by low cost labour.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:11 PM   #35
Ron S

I guess I’m just trying to decide if I should keep this new little B28 powered way down and strictly use it as a close range hole gun to prevent wear problems, or power it up, rig it with a double wrap, and maybe make it more versatile. Till now I’ve tried a variety of solutions to my problem. That is, most of my hunting is in fairly poor vis, in the rocks, and with a fair amount of surge. Mostly close shots, but then when least expected, good fish at longer ranges. Never fails that these shots come when I’m bottom hunting with something like my Riffe C-0, which is great for tight hole hunting but not accurate, (at least in my hands), for moderate distances. Other tools I have are my main go-to gun, which is a Rob Allen 70, a Rob Allen 90, and a mid-handle that I’m not good with. This new B-28 is the size of the little Riffe C-0, but being a Euro design, I should be able to shoot it a bit more accurately. Sounds like I should leave it underpowered and single wrapped, just to be safe though, and not try to “stretch it”. Just have the 70 or 90 workhorses on the float too.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:09 AM   #36
popgun pete

Being under or over gunned in the moment is part of spearing, some fish you have to let go by for another day. Blasting your shafts into rocks, either through a near miss or shooting clean through your target can be a recipe for damaged tips. I use screw on removable tips for rock work as you can always replace the tip if you carry spares on your float or in your wetsuit cuffs. Sharpening can restore some tips, others have to be tossed.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:59 AM   #37
Ron S

I’d have to say I’m hitting a rock, either by a miss, or a pass through, with about 90% of my shots, so I’m no stranger to tip damage. I’ve gone through a number of JBL twin barb rock tips on my Riffe and on my old Sea Hornet. I’ve sharpened the tips on Rob Allen spears more than I care to admit. After lots of trial and error, I’ve found the ideal setup on my RA 70 to be a single, 3/4” band and single wrap. Powerful enough pulled to the first notch for most bottom hunting without excessive tip damage. Oddly, while two 14mm bands are very powerful and also accurate, a single band shoots high. Perhaps not enough power to overcome the flopper on the bottom?
My plan is/was to try and use this little 60 with one band pulled for really close hole shots, but load the second band for more open shots. Guess the only question is short bands and two wraps, or long bands and one wrap…