Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: GoPro or Go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
An azz pocket full of action tv shows use the gopro when they have access to every camera on the market. There is no waterproof competitor that puts more R&D into mounting and versitility. Is there better cameras..... hell yeah there is, but none with the adaptability in mounting or use. That is what makes Gopro a success to many as it is easy to mount and take with you.

I've had uw video cameras for years but I never got the shots because they were to much of a PIA to use. What good is an expensive, bulky uw video camera if you have to choose between being a camera man or the guy shooting the fish. For POV action footage where you are the star...... Gopro is the only real proven option.
DITTO X AS MANY TIMES AS I CAN....IMO the Gopro is probably undervalued. But dont tell them I said it.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #17
Mojave Green

The problem with gopro is that canon or nikon has not stepped to the plate and designed something for this market. On land the camera improves dramatically. I will say that the audio is impressive. I will say it again, the buttons are unreliable, and when i cant read the screen, it leaves me with only one option and that is to just leave the camera on, dialed to video, and just work the shutter button. As I go along and learn things about the notion of video on a speargun, I have come to realize the importance of being able to pull a still shot out of the video. I get my most interesting images from video, but the quality is way lower than if I just put the camera on still shot mode. If there is one single biased against this company, it is with the video still shot. This issue is one shared by all makers of digital imagery.
If this camera gets broke, there is a good possibility it will happen after I have put my arm through the bands to shoulder the gun for hands free stringing of the fish. When I do this, any camera will be right there in my fins getting kicked. Even though the camera is small, the configuration of the mount causes the camera to occupy twice as much space. In some cases it is for the good that the camera gets some elevation, but in doing so gopro cant really brag about how small the camera is when it still takes up as much room as any other camera. Occupying space equates to visual obstruction.
But whatever the diver preference, a vid camera is a necessity. I have learned much about what I thought I knew. One thing that gets put into perspective is the calculation of time, and as said before sound. For the newbie, you will learn just how much noise nothing at all can make.
gopro does not float.

I will eventually paint the back side of the camera case. It is shiney which makes it a great host for reflecting light. The perceived problem here is that the camera is right close to my eyes, it is the brightest object in the feild of vision, and therefore my pupils adjust to that bright lighting, which in turn closes my pupils and puts the spear tip and target in a darkened representation.
One second to feel for the shutter button, one second for eyes to adjust. I can close in four extra feet on a fish in two seconds.

Intova is much better on user friendly, but the 85 dollar model will leave you wanting more for quality.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Considering you have given the Gopro a fair shake..... Have you programmed the camera to turn on in video mode? This is a user access selection that made starting and stopping the camera a much easier operation. I turn it on in the boat and can start and stop the video at will with one touch.

I have also opted to wear the camera on the top of my mask instead of on the gun. This did have an effect on mask selection as there has to be enough plastic to mount the adaptor but over all that was no big deal. Cressi does have a freediver mask with just enough plastic to mount the unit but I don't know the model. Using the camera in this manner has been the most advantageous for me and has been free from the common issues you described with gun mounts.

I understand your issues with stills and the inability to shift back and forth for each. Well, I personally don't think the Gopro is a good camera for quality stills. I don't think that was it's primary design and thus it is lacking in that department. If I wanted quality still to accompany the gopro video, I would buy a better camera to take with me as well.

All in all, I'm out there to shoot fish... If it had more than two buttons to deal with I wouldn’t own it......... Having a small and convenient camera that sits out of the way and records all I do...... more than fits the bill. I'm a simple guy wanting and simple solution….. Gopro is it.

Last edited by HeadHunter; 06-30-2011 at 07:02 AM.
kmoose is offline   Reply With Quote