Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
AlecGaro

Best Spear Gun For Beginners?

Hey everyone I just recently started spearfishing and want to invest in a spear gun, around 175$ max.. hopefully one that is easy enough for someone that knows the bare minimum of spearfishing and can also get the job done on a novice level.

I'll be fishing pretty much up and down mainly Orange County, CA (Newport, CDM areas).. possibly LA County around Santa Monica sometime. And as for the fish.. whatever swims in front of me lol. So far I tend to see and catch 5-10 lb fish with my friend's Cressi Comanche (which I think is pretty good but does tend to jam sometimes and he says has its drawbacks as well). I would like something with good amount of power and can catch fish up to 25-30 lbs, possible a range of 8-10 feet and takes a minute-ish to reload once gotten used to.

So far the guns I have seen have been recommended to be around 90cm. The ones I've seen been named most for noobs that are under 175$ are (in no specific order):

Cressi Comanche, Cressi Geronimo, Cressi Apache, Mako Predator Pro 2nd Gen, Omer Kanoloa and some companies like Riffe or Rob Allen (but for these I have no idea which models they are referring to).

I also have no idea if I need one with options built in or if I should buy some separately.. these include: a reel or not, if I need one that has bands or a piston, or any additional attachments (like band config, muzzle type, shaft type, possible butt pad.. these are just some options I saw on Mako's Predator link). So if you would think I should get something like that please state that as well!

Could you guys tell me which specific Make and Model gun you would recommend for a beginner like me (including the size)?

I know I am asking for a lot but I want to be well prepared because I have found a new passion! Thank you so much for all the help you can give me!

Last edited by AlecGaro; 09-15-2014 at 11:29 PM.
AlecGaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
HEX
Hector F.

Re: Best Spear Gun For Beginners?

My brother uses a Rabitech Carbon100cm with a single 20cm band and I believe 7mm shaft with a float line. I got to shoot his gun for reef fish on Saturday for the entire day and I fell in love with that setup so much that I'm going to buy a similar setup as my main reef gun. Only thing I'm changing is getting a 90cm aluminum Pathos instead of a 100cm Rabitech Carbon. Not anything wrong with Rabitech but I prefer Pathos since I already have another one lol I'm wierd like that.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

I would start with a used jbl 38 special. They have shot alot of tuna and white sea bass here in southern california. I would say try craigslist first. All you need to do is tie a wristband to it. No need for floatlines with that set up.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
HEX
Hector F.

You're going to wish you had a reel or float line once you get you shaft stuck to the reef trust me invest in one. A float line is the more economical option. Don't tie your gun to your wrist brah horrible advice for a beginner.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

90 or 100cm picasso, back in the day these were the go to cheap pipe guns that shot great. I have taken some big fish with picasso guns a long time ago and now they resumed production.
168 bucks for a 100cm
http://www.spearamerica.com/spear-gu...obra-rail.html
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
mainphrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
90 or 100cm picasso, back in the day these were the go to cheap pipe guns that shot great. I have taken some big fish with picasso guns a long time ago and now they resumed production.
168 bucks for a 100cm
http://www.spearamerica.com/spear-gu...obra-rail.html
Does he have them in stock? The Carbotitanio was my first gun ever and they do the job for a hole gun.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
AlecGaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
My brother uses a Rabitech Carbon100cm with a single 20cm band and I believe 7mm shaft with a float line. I got to shoot his gun for reef fish on Saturday for the entire day and I fell in love with that setup so much that I'm going to buy a similar setup as my main reef gun. Only thing I'm changing is getting a 90cm aluminum Pathos instead of a 100cm Rabitech Carbon. Not anything wrong with Rabitech but I prefer Pathos since I already have another one lol I'm wierd like that.
they seem like great guns but isnt the Pathos well over 200 and the Rabitech 300-600? if im wrong send me a link cause like I said I only have like 175 MAX
Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #8
mainphrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecGaro View Post
they seem like great guns but isnt the Pathos well over 200 and the Rabitech 300-600? if im wrong send me a link cause like I said I only have like 175 MAX
You should pm Joshua.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
AlecGaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainphrame View Post
You should pm Joshua.
not sure who that is so tell him to PM me!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
iambluesman

I started with a 36" JBL with one band n a flopper tip. No float line or reel. Paid $100.00 for it, taken tons of fish with it. Short, easy to handle in the kelp ... great for Calicos n all rock fish, lings up to 20lbs. Still have it and is my favorite gun especially in low vis.
iambluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambluesman View Post
I started with a 36" JBL with one band n a flopper tip. No float line or reel. Paid $100.00 for it, taken tons of fish with it. Short, easy to handle in the kelp ... great for Calicos n all rock fish, lings up to 20lbs. Still have it and is my favorite gun especially in low vis.
Something like this is also a great option
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
carrasco

I have aJBL 36 that is in great shape that would work for you and I will sell it to you for $150. Let me know.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
Kapono

Check craigslist, here's a cheap one...
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/4667661870.html
Kapono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
alanSB

My pathos 82 has been providing for me. If you want something w a bit more power, invest in a 100cm pathos standard. Thatll do the trick for ya.
alanSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Kapono

This thread will soon be hijacked by guys recommending their favorite guns...
I believe he is looking for something under " $175"
Kapono is offline   Reply With Quote