Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #46
Benny

Re: Thinking of a gun build

Don't give up on trying to get some decent material. Finding a teak or mahogany blank for 120 bucks or less is a tall order, and at the dimensions you listed earlier 120 would barely cover the cost of the lumber. Gotta be something around there you can use, or something decent you can get online.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #47
mc diver 36

Dean at vector Marine has teak blanks in that price range . If you search, his link is posted on here somewhere I like your idea of using cheap wood first.it's better to make your mistakes there first. It's good practice .good luck and don't give up
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #48
Freediver_Geide

I got a 1 1/2x 1 1/2x 36" poplar brick I guess I could call it, I'm gunna make all the holes that will be needed on a normal gun, I will probably get the trigger mech hole done tomorrow, which I believe for the neptonics reef mech is 1/2" x 2 3/4 let me know if that is right and how deep should It be?
Freediver_Geide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #49
mc diver 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freediver_Geide View Post
I got a 1 1/2x 1 1/2x 36" poplar brick I guess I could call it, I'm gunna make all the holes that will be needed on a normal gun, I will probably get the trigger mech hole done tomorrow, which I believe for the neptonics reef mech is 1/2" x 2 3/4 let me know if that is right and how deep should It be?

Reef mech is 1 inch tall so if you want it flush with the top of the gun, Cut it 1 inch deep
Old 12-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #50
Freediver_Geide

Tonight I cut where the handle will be which will be the AR-15 which my medusa has so I took it off the medusa and traced it then routed it out
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #51
Benny

Quote:
Tonight I cut where the handle will be which will be the AR-15 which my medusa has so I took it off the medusa and traced it then routed it out
Cool man, you're off and running. Just a suggestion, but you might want to lay out lines on your blank where the forward screws are going to be on your handle. Then when you lay out where the mech in regards to the handle, you'll be able to see if the pocket is too close to those screw holes. I made this mistake with the Euro mech (which is a little wider than the reef) and ended up scrapping a build because the holes landed right in the corners of the pocket. You can see what I mean in the picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	212943
Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #52
Freediver_Geide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Cool man, you're off and running. Just a suggestion, but you might want to lay out lines on your blank where the forward screws are going to be on your handle. Then when you lay out where the mech in regards to the handle, you'll be able to see if the pocket is too close to those screw holes. I made this mistake with the Euro mech (which is a little wider than the reef) and ended up scrapping a build because the holes landed right in the corners of the pocket. You can see what I mean in the picture

Attachment 212943
I'm gunna do a mid handle so the trigger mech will be in the back so I don't really know if that applies to me
Old 12-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #53
Freediver_Geide

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	212950
Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #54
Freediver_Geide

Does anyone know much about the UHMV tracks and what size the dive tail bits are
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #55
Benny

Quote:
Does anyone know much about the UHMV tracks and what size the dive tail bits are
Is this going to be a hole gun?

No matter what you decide, Neptonics has both.

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/track.php

Not sure exactly what size the bit is, but he is selling his for 24 bucks which isn't unreasonable. Shoot him an email and I'm sure he'll get back to with the details.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #56
Freediver_Geide

Ya just it has a half inch shank and my router only excepts quarter inch and I have a half inch which looks like the smaller one, I'm not using the UHMV track for this gun (if I even make this a gun) but just for future reference
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #57
Freediver_Geide

@mc diver 36
Where do you get your wood down here? Manley deboer ?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #58
Freediver_Geide

I will be ordering mahagony from Home Depot on line for my main gun build it comes in 72x4x1(actually 72x3.5x.75) and I'll cut it into 72x1 3/4x .75 then do a four laminate blank and wait a few months and then start making all the cuts. But I am still looking for a blank if someone has one for 100$ or less so as I can make this gun before the wahoo leave this year
Old 12-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #59
mc diver 36

Quote:
@mc diver 36
Where do you get your wood down here? Manley deboer ?

Yes I bought the teak for the blank the still hanging in my closet that manly DeBoor. I also ordered some wood from woodworkers source.com like I said before the teak at manley debooer is 30 some dollars a board foot so it's pricey but it was real nice also it was nice to be able to pick the board that I wanted to make sure it was straight etc. The website at woodworkers source.com is nice it tells you all the properties of the different hardwood to be carried on what they are good to be used for. Also they have a spot that you can make requests for the lumber you order for example tell them you need straight grain without any knots and nice straight boards so far I only ordered some hickory and Birch from them, but it was real nice wood when it was delivered.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #60
Freediver_Geide

They have leopard wood 9.99 a bf good?