Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-07-2022, 09:37 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Loading long Pneumatic gun

Hey guys,

I am slowly leaving my band guns alone and switching to full pneumatics. I got a 130 salvimar predathor vouto per advice from you guys and have been loving it. My only complaint is it can sometimes be a pain to load. Easy enough to do it out of the water but in the water it takes me a minute to get everything situated and have even had occasions where the gun slips out of my legs as i am loading it and it “fires” the gun backwards leaving me with the spear in my hands, needing to start over again. The few times i am able to do it in one shot it has been significantly quicker than any of my band guns. I really have 2 big questions, 1) any tips or specific techniques for loading these longer pneumatics? 2) any ways to by pass using an extended loader or “knee loading bar” to load this thing? I would really love to just use a standard loader. The main reason why i have been experimenting with these longer pneumatics as my daily users is to be quicker but sometimes fumbling around with extended loaders with string just makes it a nightmare. A knee bar is an option but they make the gun bulky. I love the streamlined style and easy to track especially when i am using it to fish in 120-140ft. Ive used small pneumatics pretty much my whole life but this is my first longer one and really want to get it down. Other than that they have been great, the power generated from the gun pressurized to just under 20 bar combined with an 8mm shaft has strung every fish i have hit or pinned them to the sand. Thanks for the help.
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Loading long Pneumatic gun

Goes with the territory unfortunately, as pneumatic spearguns get longer they become more difficult to load if you don’t have the necessary reach. Ideally if the spear could be pushed in a certain distance then stop, you could then reposition yourself to push the spear the rest of the way in, but no pneumatic guns work like that. However regulator equipped guns on the low power setting and trigger valve operated guns reduce the pressure by locking up some of the air transferred by your first unsuccessful loading effort so that starting again at the muzzle requires slightly less effort each time you try to muzzle load the gun. This makes for a slow reload process if you have to do it three or four times to make the latch.

Valve operated hydropneumatic guns do have that stop-start loading action, but they don’t float so have never been very popular and are not as efficient as pneumatic spearguns.

This is why pneumatic spearguns are more popular in the 70 cm to 90 cm sizes as they are not so difficult to load, but anything highly pressurized is hard to load off your foot and that is why vacuum muzzles became popular in order to slightly reduce the loading effort for a similar result to that of a wet barrel gun. This only works if the vacuum seal is good, otherwise shooting performance can go backwards.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:21 AM   #3
popgun pete

Re: Loading long Pneumatic gun

There is an extended loader from Pelengas that “absorbs” some of the string/cable lengths in a bungee style arrangement as shown here. They flared the ends of the loading handle so that it does not cut the bungee tubing.

Adding a photo on how you use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas extended loader 2R.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	247887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas extended loader 3R.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	247888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas extended loader 4R.jpg