Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-18-2022, 03:24 PM   #1
Dbrown

Out of Clearwater 9/17/22

Did some diving out a bit deeper and got pleasantly rewarded with fish and viz. so that was nice. My first shot of the day was on what's likely and what's going down for now as my personal best gag. 39" and 25.5#. Viz was as good as 45' at some points of the column. Warmer on bottom after 60'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUGyr2YqXrM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUGyr2YqXrM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5856.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	248527  
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #2
sharpshooter

Re: Out of Clearwater 9/17/22

Very nice gag. In the video it looked like the gag slightly bowed the first shaft near the rear?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
dkay

Studly gag there! Congrats on your PB!!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
Dbrown

Thanks DKay!
Jose, that was shot one of dive one, so that spear got shot several other times. I can't blame anything on the equipment. Checked my 3 spears and they have the same amount of issues. Nothing I'd remove from the quiver. My spears are old, no longer have the threads and have bows in them here and there. Much less of a concern with open track I shoot as opposed to close track. I check my spears 3 ways: eyeball down the length of the spear (super technical), roll them on top of my cooler with floppers taped down (also super technical) and put in drill and press button to see how faster rotation looks (extra super technical). I had cut my band an inch short and that was an issue, so will adjust that for next dive trip. Too much power will affect spear behavior and accuracy. Had it tuned just right, cut band an inch short and that was a mistake. THANKS for getting me up from the holding the couch down. Gave me a couple of things to do in the garage.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #5
captadam123

very nice gag dave!
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:53 AM   #6
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Thanks DKay!
Jose, that was shot one of dive one, so that spear got shot several other times. I can't blame anything on the equipment. Checked my 3 spears and they have the same amount of issues. Nothing I'd remove from the quiver. My spears are old, no longer have the threads and have bows in them here and there. Much less of a concern with open track I shoot as opposed to close track. I check my spears 3 ways: eyeball down the length of the spear (super technical), roll them on top of my cooler with floppers taped down (also super technical) and put in drill and press button to see how faster rotation looks (extra super technical). I had cut my band an inch short and that was an issue, so will adjust that for next dive trip. Too much power will affect spear behavior and accuracy. Had it tuned just right, cut band an inch short and that was a mistake. THANKS for getting me up from the holding the couch down. Gave me a couple of things to do in the garage.
I found that on shots less than 10' a slight bow isn't a big deal. The further the shot is past 15' a bow really effects accuracy. I know guys that carry 3 shafts will have that slightly bowed shaft on a certain side of their gun for a close double tap. Also, use the bowed shaft for hole hunting when the vis is terrible or less than 10'. Congrats on your personal best gag.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #7
SEATUX

Congrats, Very nice grouper,
...and some great shooting, You got off some Fast shots.

I like your light, the push button is nice, what is it? (and the bracket your using?)
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
Dbrown

Thanks Jose, Adam and Seatux!
I have been very happy with that light. The push button is great! Kevin sells them at Spearfishing specialties. Mine was a prototype. BigBlue makes them and Kevin fits them with an adaptor so they go directly into the muzzle of his gun and they stay perfectly secure with a stainless set screw. They are a little pricy, but been super tough and reliable. 1300 lumen. I beat mine up (as I was told to) and no issues.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #9
Dbrown

Here's another video from that day. I'll post one later on a wreck dive we did.

https://youtu.be/noe0L-fYTZs

Old 09-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #10
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Thanks Jose, Adam and Seatux!
I have been very happy with that light. The push button is great! Kevin sells them at Spearfishing specialties. Mine was a prototype. BigBlue makes them and Kevin fits them with an adaptor so they go directly into the muzzle of his gun and they stay perfectly secure with a stainless set screw. They are a little pricy, but been super tough and reliable. 1300 lumen. I beat mine up (as I was told to) and no issues.
OUCH! I tried to look them up...PRICY is an UNDERSTAEMENT! Please help me narrow the search, do you know which one I should look at? I am interested, but not at $400!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:04 PM   #11
Dbrown

Reach out to Kevin at Spearfishing Specialties and see what he says. Tell him I directed you over. He know who you are. They are pricy, but a real good light, and they stand behind them.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:28 PM   #12
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Having a 1300 lumen light mounted on the muzzle of your speargun is a huge advantage. This “hands free use” enables you to keep 2 hands on your speargun when trying to shoot a fish inside a wreck or under a ledge. We install a custom one piece custom CNC machined aluminum adapter in the Big Blue AL1300N light. This light will install in the Ocean Rhino muzzle with the large light port. We currently sell these lights for $215.00. If anyone would like to purchase a light you can contact me by email at oceanrhino@gmail.com or call the office at 727-548-7686

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 09-21-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:44 PM   #13
Dbrown

https://youtu.be/AOjOkC0NkFk