Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #2821
CuzzA

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Three divers being run out of the water on different occasions at the same spot is no coincidence.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #2822
sharpshooter

I don't dive without my shark shield. I spent the money, doesn't do any good leaving it at home. Last year in the Dry Tortugas, David my dive buddy saw my shield in action. We had some fish and lobster. We were on the surface and i saw a good size shark heading up to us. I turned the shield on and it did wide circles around us. He asked if it was on and I said, yes. Then, he asked if it was working. I said the green light is on. Rather than grab the whip for a quick shock test. I told him i'm going shut it off for a second or two and see if the shark comes in. Soon as the shield was off. The shark headed straight for us, As i was turning the shield back on. David was screaming, turn it on!!! turn it on!!! I spun the knob on full. The shark acted as if it hit an invisible wall and went straight vertical and back to doing wide circles. I asked David if he wanted me to try the experiment again. He said, keep that damn thing on till I'm in the boat. If you have a spot that has a nasty shark resident. Then, on that dive bring a slightly bent or curved shaft as a spare on the gun. When, Mr. Nasty shows up. Switch to that shaft and give him a souvenir. PPD's can glance off unless it's a broadside hit or you could have a wet dud. Shafts don't ever fail.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #2823
grock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Looks like the water is warming up decent in shallow now and out deeper is still cold. The warmth will work its way down the water column like every year in the spring. How was the Horz. vis.?
Dove at 1pm -3 pm at the top of the tide and when it was beginning to turn. Lots of particulate in the column. about 20 ft of horizontal viz diminishing on the second dive.
grock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #2824
CuzzA

Out with SealRock today off Anclote. Dives between 35-55 ft. Hogs galore and big Sherpa still all over. Gags everywhere. Tons of mangos blanketing the reefs, all small. Current was ripping today on the incoming tide. Drift dives is all that could be done. Best viz and fishing was in about 40 ft. About 20 ft horizontal with a lot of particulate. Felt great in a 3 mil. One of our guys got chased out of the water by a Sandbar.

A first for me was being visited by a dolphin on the bottom. Normally I've seen them around the surface on my ascent, but this guy cruised by me on the bottom at about 10 feet away. Pretty cool. Hope the video came out.

Naturally Hogfish was for dinner tonight and had some locally brewed Big Storm ale today. Good stuff.

Thanks Rich!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #2825
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Out with SealRock today off Anclote. Dives between 35-55 ft. Hogs galore and big Sherpa still all over. Gags everywhere. Tons of mangos blanketing the reefs, all small. Current was ripping today on the incoming tide. Drift dives is all that could be done. Best viz and fishing was in about 40 ft. About 20 ft horizontal with a lot of particulate. Felt great in a 3 mil. One of our guys got chased out of the water by a Sandbar.

A first for me was being visited by a dolphin on the bottom. Normally I've seen them around the surface on my ascent, but this guy cruised by me on the bottom at about 10 feet away. Pretty cool. Hope the video came out.

Naturally Hogfish was for dinner tonight and had some locally brewed Big Storm ale today. Good stuff.

Thanks Rich!
What were the bottom water temps. from 35'-55'? Thanks in advance.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #2826
CuzzA

Computer said 70 for both depths.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #2827
Seal Rock

Quote:

Thanks Rich!
Great diving with you guys today, looking forward to bi weekly runs in May. Great choice with the Big Storm!

Anytime you can clean up the bad numbers, confirm new ones, hit favs, hang with good dudes and bring the boat back under its own power = great day.
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #2828
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:

Thanks Rich!
Dolphin was most likely looking for a hand out. Don't feed them. I've been harassed by fed dolphins before. It wasn't pleasant being that I really wanted to keep the hogfish and grouper on my stringer. 2 of them teamed up. 1 was distractin' while the other came in from all different angles of attack. Interesting, it was.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #2829
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
Great diving with you guys today, looking forward to bi weekly runs in May. Great choice with the Big Storm!

Anytime you can clean up the bad numbers, confirm new ones, hit favs, hang with good dudes and bring the boat back under its own power = great day.
Roger that!
Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #2830
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Dolphin was most likely looking for a hand out. Don't feed them. I've been harassed by fed dolphins before. It wasn't pleasant being that I really wanted to keep the hogfish and grouper on my stringer. 2 of them teamed up. 1 was distractin' while the other came in from all different angles of attack. Interesting, it was.
Nobody gets my fish, not even a cute little dolphin.

I've seen those dolphin rapes diver videos. I will not be a victim!

He just buzzed us one time and carried on. No worries.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	237682  

Last edited by CuzzA; 04-15-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #2831
grey2112

Quote:
Nobody gets my fish, not even a cute little dolphin.

I've seen those dolphin rapes diver videos. I will not be a victim!

He just buzzed us one time and carried on. No worries.
Well, there's a well-fed shark from a few years ago on a beautiful ledge who would beg to differ - does he still send you cards?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #2832
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Well, there's a well-fed shark from a few years ago on a beautiful ledge who would beg to differ - does he still send you cards?
Okay, okay, with the exception of not having a boat... I held them off as long as I could. Twenty minutes a drift after a 45 minute dive felt like hours. No PPD, no shark shield, only one line shaft, and one of my first dives... most guys probably would've given up diving... I bought a bigger stick. Well, I should say, one that goes bang.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #2833
grey2112

Quote:
Okay, okay, with the exception of not having a boat... I held them off as long as I could. Twenty minutes a drift after a 45 minute dive felt like hours. No PPD, no shark shield, only one line shaft, and one of my first dives... most guys probably would've given up diving... I bought a bigger stick. Well, I should say, one that goes bang.
True - wish we could have gotten to you sooner that day!
Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #2834
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
True - wish we could have gotten to you sooner that day!
All good buddy. My navigational skills were weak back then. Plus I didn't have a dive alert.

Had to use the DA yesterday as the current was ripping.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #2835
grey2112

Quote:
All good buddy. My navigational skills were weak back then. Plus I didn't have a dive alert.

Had to use the DA yesterday as the current was ripping.
Damn, must have been some serious current then!