Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-19-2022, 06:40 PM   #1
Brandalboy

Line tangle help!! Salvimar 115

Hell so I've attached the video how I am wrapping the line to the shaft and one in every three shots the line tends to wrap up in the bands I have no idea what I'm doing wrong I brought it to a dive shop they changed the line on it to whatever this line is so any advice feedback is appreciated.

2 wraps. Does this with the breakaway and also with the line from the real.. shaft probably gets 5 ft from the gun and the line ends up tangled in a cobweb to the rubber bands.

https://youtu.be/sGr9JcB4LCE

Last edited by Brandalboy; 09-19-2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Photo
Brandalboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #2
spearq8

Re: Line tangle help!! Salvimar 115

Way too many things going on there! Why do you have a reel with clip connected if you are using a break away? Try and simplify things as much as possible. I would remove the reel and just have mono connected to shaft and then a double wrap with a small linear bungee that goes on the line release. You can then attach the float line to the bungee. I can't remember once having a hang up using this setup with some shots in heavy current and some shots even upside down. Forget the pigtails or even clips direct on the bungee as that can scratch up the gun and maybe is more tangle prone. Just use a heavy spectra line with a quick release knot which is easy to untie and retie. If you really need to use a clip, just have say a 50cm spectra line off the bungee to the side and then connect your clip there. This way it is away the sharp edges of the clips don't scratch up your gun.

You can see this in action with a clip here.

Last edited by spearq8; 09-20-2022 at 05:56 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #3
Brandalboy

Thank you! So eliminate what I have, and switch to Mono, (lbs)? and use a small linear bungee (picture?) to line release.

Appreciate this, I am a complete noob to freediving/line guns. Any pictures/feedback is appreciated!

I will probably just take off the breakaway and stay with the reel line (targeting reef fish) I thought the breakaway would help with the tangled mess I would get every time I shot, but it did not.
Brandalboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:39 AM   #4
spearq8

Usually it is a good idea to simplify things as much as possible. Breakaway is only needed if you are targeting very large strong fish that you don't want to be personally connected to after you hit the fish. It is also great where there are a lot of sharks as this way you keep the gun and push off any pesky sharks. If going with reel then just connect directly to the shaft or have a mono leader then connected to your reel line. The knot you have on your shaft looks terrible and will probably hurt the performance and accuracy of your shot. Much better is a streamlined crimp.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote